please help me identify my tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckyleotortoise

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone,

I dont think my previous post worked o_O

I purchased a Tortoise today off a friend but he has no idea what breed it is. It is 4 months old. Can anybody help me identify him?

Thank you

Attachments

• DSCF1375.JPG
    DSCF1375.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 143

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! I am not the best with the testudo species of tortoises. Looks like a little hermanns tortoise though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not good at I.D.ing the Mediterranean species of tortoise, but it looks like either a Greek or a Hermann's. Someone else will come along and give you better info.

beckyleotortoise

5 Year Member
Hi, thanks

Now I'm very confused because i thought it was a Hermann, then I thought it was a horsefield but now you have me thinking it's a Hermann! Lol o_O

X

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, its definitely NOT a Russian.

beckyleotortoise

5 Year Member
oh, I got told from another site that a Herman has 4 toes, and he has 4 toes! confussssssed lol

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Whatever it is, looks like it has a split scute. Very cute.

I don't know if its hermanns or Greek, but I agree that's its definately not horsefields.

beckyleotortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you very much, I will post another picture later.

It came from a pet shop that only sells Horsefields and Hermanns, so I know its one or the other. But my friend doesn't know which one :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is NOT a horsefield. That much we are all sure of. If you post the requested pics GB will be able to tell you for sure whether its a greek or a hemanni.

It has some substantial pyramiding for a four month old testudo sp. This is an indication that things have been much too dry and desert like. You might want to switch to a better substrate and offer a humid hide. I'd soak him several times a week too.

beckyleotortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you! That is helpful. I will post the pics after 5 oclock when I get home. I only got him yesterday, so I want to do everything I can to make him comfortable and healthy. He hasn't spent any time under his UV lamp, hes walked away from it, so would that be an indication that he's too dry? He hasnt drank anything yet either as far as im aware o_O

How long would you suggest I soak him for? (in cool water?)

Thank you so much for the help!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"It came from a pet shop that only sells Horsefields and Hermanns"

Then the shop might want to find out what they are actually selling because it is neither species! I am 100% certain that it is a Greek tortoise and almost positive that it is an Ibera. The babies of Greeks, Hermann's, Russians and Marginateds are very distinct from each other, even at a very young age.

As Tom stated, your tortoise definitely does appear to have been kept very dry. Humidity in the form of ambient air, substrate moisture and body hydration are very important for a tortoises smooth growth.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
beckyleotortoise said:
Thank you! That is helpful. I will post the pics after 5 oclock when I get home. I only got him yesterday, so I want to do everything I can to make him comfortable and healthy. He hasn't spent any time under his UV lamp, hes walked away from it, so would that be an indication that he's too dry? He hasnt drank anything yet either as far as im aware o_O

How long would you suggest I soak him for? (in cool water?)

Thank you so much for the help!

I would soak 15-30 minutes once or twice a day in warm water :)

beckyleotortoise

5 Year Member
Sorry its late, but here is a picture of him from the top?
Thank you x

Attachments

• DSCF1446.JPG
    DSCF1446.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 48

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Hi Becky! Welcome to you and your new little one. GBtortoises would definitely know. The pet shop, not so much. Obviously, since you have a little baby with signs of not being in the right conditions. The good thing is that you came to the right place for excellent help with your tortoise. Soaks are the best, warm and cozy under the basking light ... ahh spa! Coco coir substrate is what I use. Do a search and read all you can. Lots of great info throughout the forum. Congrats again. Glad you got the cutie and glad that you are here. : )

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
beckyleotortoise said:
Hi Everyone,

I dont think my previous post worked o_O

I purchased a Tortoise today off a friend but he has no idea what breed it is. It is 4 months old. Can anybody help me identify him?

Thank you

Bear in mind, there are no tortoise breeds. All the variety you see is naturally occurring (except for a few pale and albino lineages).

Ah, so it's been identified as an Ibera Greek (Testudo graeca ibera), eh? Very cool. :)

beckyleotortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for you help and kind words :)

Do you think I need to worry about the skin tag (type thing) he has above his eye? Do you think it will just fall off, or do you think its something worth going to the vets aboout?

Thank you! :tort: x

Status
Not open for further replies.