Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Please help my identify

Hi 1mozart:

You have a desert tortoise there (Gopherus agassizii). From the looks of him he has spent way too much time indoors.

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
RE: Please help my identify

Hello and welcome to the forum...

1mozart

5 Year Member
I'm Bill. My dog & I moved here in AZ, USA @ 04FEB12 & my dog found this tortoise on a walk and insisted on bringing it home. She has a flat tummy so she's a girl? Eats like a horse, acts like she knows people.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bill:

Yes, she probably DOES know people. She is someone's escaped pet. I can tell this because of her shell. She has been raised indoors from the time she was a tiny baby.

I'm not familiar with the Arizona state laws regarding the desert tortoise, but here in Calif. one needs to apply for a permit to keep them, as they are protected.

It might be nice if you were to try to find this tortoise's owners. I'm sure they must be heart broken to think he is out in the world by himself. But if you can't find them and decide to keep the tortoise, we'll be happy to help you and answer your questions so you can give him the best care possible.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Arizona laws and regs on dt's are tough.

Thats kinda how i got my dt. Came into my work after a dog bit it in the desert. I got it healthy and fostered it, and decided to keep it. DT's are great. Its always been my goal to have a desert tort. I have had other torts species, but desert torts are just awsome and mine is way more active and friendly than any sulcata or leopard i have ever had

Status
Not open for further replies.