Please help me. Possible scud or other disease?

MaxRome

Location (City and/or State)
Roma
Hi!
He is Raffaello. A 12 years old Trachemys. I adopted him the last December, because his former owner didn't care about him. He spent his life in a tank so small that he couldn't swim or walk. His water was always dirty and it was not enough for let him swim. His former owner always forgot to feed him; sometimes even for an entire month. His diet consisted of gammarus shrimps and (I couldn't believed it), dry bread.

So, when his former owner gave him to me, I started to feed him fresh shrimps, fresh little fishes, radicchio and lettuce, and he always have a cuttlefish bone available in his tank.
Despite all my care efforts, and despite the fact that he always eats what I feed him, I noticed that in the last measurement that I made he lost weight. Those are the measurements:

December (adoption): 522 grams
January: 533 grams
February: 519 grams
March: 532 grams
April: 507 grams

Furthermore, he never rests, buy he always swims (when he is not asleep), like he appears to be bothered about something. A few days ago, some scars appeared on his plastron. Can this be scud? Today, I noticed that his feces are red. I am worried, even if the last day I feed him red radicchio. I attach some pictures.

Best regards and thank you all.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 9

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi!
He is Raffaello. A 12 years old Trachemys. I adopted him the last December, because his former owner didn't care about him. He spent his life in a tank so small that he couldn't swim or walk. His water was always dirty and it was not enough for let him swim. His former owner always forgot to feed him; sometimes even for an entire month. His diet consisted of gammarus shrimps and (I couldn't believed it), dry bread.

So, when his former owner gave him to me, I started to feed him fresh shrimps, fresh little fishes, radicchio and lettuce, and he always have a cuttlefish bone available in his tank.
Despite all my care efforts, and despite the fact that he always eats what I feed him, I noticed that in the last measurement that I made he lost weight. Those are the measurements:

December (adoption): 522 grams
January: 533 grams
February: 519 grams
March: 532 grams
April: 507 grams

Furthermore, he never rests, buy he always swims (when he is not asleep), like he appears to be bothered about something. A few days ago, some scars appeared on his plastron. Can this be scud? Today, I noticed that his feces are red. I am worried, even if the last day I feed him red radicchio. I attach some pictures.

Best regards and thank you all.
Thank you so much for rescuing this little fellow. Maybe the fact that he is moving about and getting exercise at last is what is making him lose weight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Does he have a spot in his area where he can climb out of the water and sit under a light to bask?

MaxRome

Roma
Does he have a spot in his area where he can climb out of the water and sit under a light to bask?
Yes, he has a platform to climb outside water. I also bought a lamp for reptiles on Aliexpress for basking. And I also brig him with me when I take sun, almost everyday, from 13 to 15 p.m., to let him be exposed to direct sunlight.

Guts

Tennessee
I can’t comment on the marks on the plastron but it’s probable he just lost weight because he’s on a better diet and is more active.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The spots on the bottom are not Shell rot, but could turn into that. Looks like a scrape or injury and the start of bacteria or fungus getting in there. Very early stages. I would get some anti-fungal and apply to the area to see if you can get it under control. Athletes foot cream works well.

Sliders are very active turtles. Males incessantly try to breed this time of year. Yours is fully mature and is most likely frustrated by lack of space and has the urge to find females. Many people try to keep them in 55 -120 gal fish tanks and they just will not do well in that small an area. They either swim and scramble around constantly, or then become sedentary and mostly inactive.