please help me to identify

Status
Not open for further replies.

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
hi,, i am Filbert from Indonesia.
ca anyone in this forum help me to identify this plant?
is the plant edible or not for torto?

Attachments

• 305647_325660640875026_1545911544_n.jpg
    305647_325660640875026_1545911544_n.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 84

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Giving you a bump, but I think I posted the same plant picture before and it is not edible.

Might be other people who knows better than me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The flower looks sort of like the ornamental strawberry plant. Do a GOOGLE search for that and see if its your plant.

No...on second thought, the leaves are wrong. Sorry...I don't know what it is.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Yes Yvonne, I'm pretty sure it is not strawberry. It usually grows a lot in our country as weeds in lawn. Too bad no one can really identify it :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you take a sample of it to your local last nursery? I've had good success finding plant and weed experts that way.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Our nursery is usually too busy on making money. And even they are able to identify it, we will get the local name and get stuck again with edible thing or not :D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Almost looks like wild buttercup, although the flower pedals don't look round enough. If it is wild buttercup, there is a report of a sulcata that died very suddenly and the only new thing that had taken place was deliberately feeding it many if the yellow flowers. Look on google images and compare. I have it in abundance, and it is much colder here than in Indonesia.

redbeef

5 Year Member
Yellow Turtle said:
Our nursery is usually too busy on making money. And even they are able to identify it, we will get the local name and get stuck again with edible thing or not :D

local name should be able to bring you closer to a latinate name. I always advise people to ask local experts as they are familiar w/what grows in their area as they are surrounded by it their whole lives...

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
redbeef said:
Yellow Turtle said:

local name should be able to bring you closer to a latinate name. I always advise people to ask local experts as they are familiar w/what grows in their area as they are surrounded by it their whole lives...

Local names here are not easily translated to latin name. We have like 746 local language across our country, so each area might name the weeds differently or even can't id it. It's very hard to translate the local name to national name, more over to latinate name :)

The only weed I'm able to id locally so far is plantain, from a tortoise hobbyist friend. Because it's pretty popular to use as herb in my country, so many people know it as well... For other weeds with no medication effect, unfortunately we don't have local experts.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Take some of the plant and ask what you can use to kill it. When they show you the weed killer, ask them the name of the plant. Or, do you have a local library or bookshop that you could find a local guide for wild flowers of your area? I found one on line for the Pacific Northwest of the USA where I live. From that I get the Latin name and then I do a google image search.

Status
Not open for further replies.