Please help! Month long constipation and white areas on skin

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Help! My hingebacks is still active and such, but part of his body seems almost whiter, like his legs and cloaca. By his right leg it almost seems like the flesh and skin is almost pushing out.20220408_120345.jpg20220408_120448.jpg20220408_121256.jpg20220408_121318_001.jpg
He's been constipated for a bit more than 3 weeks, he's also loosing his appetite, but that only started four days ago. He'll eat earthworms only, but he's started to eat less of them now. Any help is appreciated

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm sorry this is happening. But tuff love is needed, they need to eat a varied diet...
This from the Smithsonian... mushrooms, seeds, plant matter, worms, snails, slugs, spiders, frogs and carrion, but the bulk of their diet is made up of insects. That's a whole lot of stuff he could eat. If you are positive they are only eating worms, maybe that's not enuf to make poops. I am not an expert...but I would put them in a hotish inescapable tub and leave them in the water for a long enuf time they want out and are scrambling in the water...generally they will poop then. Up their temperatures and humidity...and offer him anything from his natural diet, but leave out the worms...leave the food for a couple if hours, then take it out...and repeat daily until they eat...good luck

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I'm sorry this is happening. But tuff love is needed, they need to eat a varied diet...
This from the Smithsonian... mushrooms, seeds, plant matter, worms, snails, slugs, spiders, frogs and carrion, but the bulk of their diet is made up of insects. That's a whole lot of stuff he could eat. If you are positive they are only eating worms, maybe that's not enuf to make poops. I am not an expert...but I would put them in a hotish inescapable tub and leave them in the water for a long enuf time they want out and are scrambling in the water...generally they will poop then. Up their temperatures and humidity...and offer him anything from his natural diet, but leave out the worms...leave the food for a couple if hours, then take it out...and repeat daily until they eat...good luck
Thanks for the advice, I've added a few things already, salads like endive, red leaf lettuce, green lettuce and bit more squash like gem squash, and I'm adding more soon
I think the change in diet may also be causing him to loose intrest in his food, but it'll take time until he gets used to it

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
The patches of white (not the light coloured skin under the armpits) looks like a fungal infection to me. When he's dry after his soak, I would treat with a topical antifungal. It will probably clear up pretty fast but worth applying for a few days after its gone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise is constipated he feels uncomfortable adding more food, so he stops eating. You'll need to get him emptied out before he'll eat again. One thing that always works for me is to clean and rinse my bath tub real good, all enough water that the tortoise can't touch the bottom and leave him in there for 45 minutes or more. He'll get bored and want out, and he'll start scrambling around. All that exercise causes the bowels to let go. Be sure to stay there and keep an eye on him for his safety

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
One thing that always works for me is to clean and rinse my bath tub real good, all enough water that the tortoise can't touch the bottom and leave him in there for 45 minutes or more
Thanks Yvonne, could you perhaps explain a bit more what you mean when you say the tort can't touch the bottom? So I should make a little patch where it's dry and where he's safe and let him get to work? (I apologise for asking so many questions, I just want to make sure I do it right)

Last edited:

norma.b

St Lucia ESTUARY KZN South Africa
Help! My hingebacks is still active and such, but part of his body seems almost whiter, like his legs and cloaca. By his right leg it almost seems like the flesh and skin is almost pushing out.View attachment 342914View attachment 342915View attachment 342916View attachment 342917
He's been constipated for a bit more than 3 weeks, he's also loosing his appetite, but that only started four days ago. He'll eat earthworms only, but he's started to eat less of them now. Any help is appreciated
My hinged backs are also picky eaters they only had cabbage leaves and carrots before I got them so changed to mushrooms zucchini cucumber and lettuce plus weeds growing in my garden. For constipation I steam butternut, pumpkin and give bottled baby food carrot in a small flattish bowl or bottle lid. The female is inside as weather is colder lately but male is hiding in the garden. He doesn't eat much that I have noticed so is probably eating worms and insects under an old log. Monkeys pinch most of the mushrooms and zucchini I put outside. Whenever I find him I give him a long carrot soak. Is your tort inside ? It does look to me like a fungus on his leg.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
My hinged backs are also picky eaters they only had cabbage leaves and carrots before I got them so changed to mushrooms zucchini cucumber and lettuce plus weeds growing in my garden. For constipation I steam butternut, pumpkin and give bottled baby food carrot in a small flattish bowl or bottle lid. The female is inside as weather is colder lately but male is hiding in the garden. He doesn't eat much that I have noticed so is probably eating worms and insects under an old log. Monkeys pinch most of the mushrooms and zucchini I put outside. Whenever I find him I give him a long carrot soak. Is your tort inside ? It does look to me like a fungus on his leg.
Yes, he's inside in a closed chamber enclosure, the temps are between 21-30C and fluctuate during the day

norma.b

St Lucia ESTUARY KZN South Africa
Yes, he's inside in a closed chamber enclosure, the temps are between 21-30C and fluctuate during the day
Such a worry for you. I also worry about the male that is out in the garden. It's a rainy weekend but he has hidden himself so U can't bring him in or give a warm soak. Fortunately we always have high humidity. I hope your guy gets better soon.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Thanks Yvonne, could you perhaps explain a bit more what you mean when you say the tort can't touch the bottom? So I should make a little patch where it's dry and where he's safe and let him get to work? (I apologise for asking so many questions, I just want to make sure I do it right)
Hi I use a high sided container similar to a washing up bowl prepare hand warm shallow water up to the join of lower shell and upper shell and add your tortoise he will sit and soak or get agitated and try to climb out leave for 40 mins observe to avoid any problems. Eventually he will pop and wee. I have 2 bowls so move over when water cool or dirty and pour dirty water down toilet . Hope that helps. They can not swim so keep water shallow. It works well