Please help...My Russian tortoise eyes shut, not eating.

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
Hello All,

My Russian tortoise is sick... I have tried so much but he is not getting any better. I know there are many expert of reptiles in this forum so maybe I can get some help, maybe not but I like trying if there is a chance, I don't want to see him suffer anymore.

His eyes been swollen for two weeks now and for the past 2 days he couldn't open them at all anymore and he hasn't eat anything in 4 days , I have looked up the Internet and see a lot of peoples tortoise experience the same , I tried to do things that the people have suggested online, things like soaking him in warm water with baby food carrot everyday, about a week ago he actually got better and started eating again after two or three days soaking, and the swollen went down a lot, but after two days, it's happening again. And now his eyes can't even open anymore.

He has day and night lights that gives heat, and I noticed a uvb light is needed so I bought Power sun uv 100W. 75 cool side/ night time and 95 basking side. I control the moist to about 50 and spray water in tank everyday, fresh veggies and water everyday, but he hasn't touch lately because he couldn't see. I am out of options and I don't really trust the vet because a lot of them just try to make money and give things that are the wrong treatment, that's what happened to my dog, spent hundreds even thousand of dollars and all kinds of shots and meds and doesn't get any better, tried so many different vets and turned out my dog was not sick , was only allergy reaction to some ingredient in dog food.

I don't know what am doing wrong to the tortoise and I really want him to get better, please let me know if there's anything else I could do. My heart is torturing seeing him going through all this.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! i am unsure about the what is causing your torts condition, but there will be people on this forum that can help you. can you post some pics of the tortoise and his enclosure? is the light that you are using one of those coiled bulbs?

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick reply! I am using Zoo Med Power Sun Bulb Uv 100 Watt. It provides UVB, UVA and heat. Here are the pics of the enclosure and the tortoise.

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
Photo 2014-10-30, 11 16 08 PM.jpg Photo 2014-10-30, 11 16 49 PM.jpg Photo 2014-10-30, 11 17 29 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 2014-10-30, 11 18 19 PM.jpg
    Photo 2014-10-30, 11 18 19 PM.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • Photo 2014-10-30, 11 23 37 PM.jpg
    Photo 2014-10-30, 11 23 37 PM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I understand that you are now using the Zoo Med Power Sun Bulb...but what was the bulb that you used before? Or was there no uva/uvb bulb being used before? And if no uva/uvb bulb before....how long was the tort without that element? Also, what type of substrate are you using?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to say it, but that aquarium is way too small for a full grown tortoise.

I suspect that what's wrong is that your tortoise is wild caught and has not adapted to being captive. Especially since the aquarium is so small. I know it's the wrong time of year, but do you have any sunny days? Can you take him out in the sun for a little while?

Go back to the baby food soaks. Use a whole jar of carrots or squash in a bit of warm water and leave him soaking in there for at least a half hour. It worked before, but then you put him right back into the same situation that caused the swollen shut eyes before, so it happened again.

I would put him into a smaller hospital tank with no "furniture", just a hiding place, no substrate, just paper towels and heat it up to 85F all over the whole tank. While he's in the hospital tank, try to get a bigger plastic bin set up for his permanent home. You can even use two bins, putting them together to make one big one. Once you've got his eyes open again and you put him back into his permanent home, leave his lights on for 14 hours per day so he thinks it's summertime.

Good luck getting your tortoise back to health.

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
i still don't know whats wrong with his eyes:(. but his enclosure is WAY to small for him. the smallest cage for a russian tort is 4ft by 8ft.
i still don't know whats wrong with his eyes:(. but his enclosure is WAY to small for him. the smallest cage for a russian tort is 4ft by 8ft.
I didn't know that Russian tortoises need such a large enclosure... And small enclosure will cause eye problem >< The Other thing that I can think of is I'm using reptile bark for substrate, but I always remember to spray waters on it to maintain moisture and reduce dust...

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I didn't know that Russian tortoises need such a large enclosure... And small enclosure will cause eye problem >< The Other thing that I can think of is I'm using reptile bark for substrate, but I always remember to spray waters on it to maintain moisture and reduce dust...
don't feel bad every single new tort owner makes mistakes.

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
I understand that you are now using the Zoo Med Power Sun Bulb...but what was the bulb that you used before? Or was there no uva/uvb bulb being used before? And if no uva/uvb bulb before....how long was the tort without that element? Also, what type of substrate are you using?
Hi ascott! Sorry that I misunderstood your question... Yes I was using just heat bulk since I adopted him from Persmart, for about two to three weeks. And the substrate I am using is reptile bark which was being used in Petsmart... Now I have learnt coconut brick mixed with play sand is what should be used instead. And sorry for my English:( not native speaker ...

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Hi ascott! Sorry that I misunderstood your question... Yes I was using just heat bulk since I adopted him from Persmart, for about two to three weeks. And the substrate I am using is reptile bark which was being used in Petsmart... Now I have learnt coconut brick mixed with play sand is what should be used instead. And sorry for my English:( not native speaker ...
you should not use sand, if he eats some of the sand it can damage his intestines.

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to say it, but that aquarium is way too small for a full grown tortoise.

I suspect that what's wrong is that your tortoise is wild caught and has not adapted to being captive. Especially since the aquarium is so small. I know it's the wrong time of year, but do you have any sunny days? Can you take him out in the sun for a little while?

Go back to the baby food soaks. Use a whole jar of carrots or squash in a bit of warm water and leave him soaking in there for at least a half hour. It worked before, but then you put him right back into the same situation that caused the swollen shut eyes before, so it happened again.

I would put him into a smaller hospital tank with no "furniture", just a hiding place, no substrate, just paper towels and heat it up to 85F all over the whole tank. While he's in the hospital tank, try to get a bigger plastic bin set up for his permanent home. You can even use two bins, putting them together to make one big one. Once you've got his eyes open again and you put him back into his permanent home, leave his lights on for 14 hours per day so he thinks it's summertime.

Good luck getting your tortoise back to health.
Hi Yvonne! Thank you so much for you reply! I will definitely follow your instruction. Glad that I try something different for him.
Unfortunately I live in vancouver and it's rain season now not much sunshine.
I might try use more baby food into soaking.
I have set up a small hospital tank as you suggested, with paper towel and 85F tempeture and so. just wondering should I spray water to maintain moisture of 50 for him?
Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. As an adult, he doesn't require the same level of high humidity that a baby would need.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Repti bark is an ideal substrate. It is my first choice for large russians. I would not use sand at all. It can be a skin and eye irritant as well as an impaction hazard. Coco coir is okay, but I prefer that for babies more than adults like yours.

The small tank did not cause an eye problem. The small tank as well as other factors here, have caused a weakening or lapse of the immune system. It is this that has allowed the symptoms of eye infection to take hold.

Also. You have a double dome fixture up there. You said you had a heat bulb over him prior to the Powersun, but what is the light in the other side of your double dome? Is there a coil type cfl bulb in there for light or UV?

Your tortoise needs a larger enclosure ASAP.

Here is how I like to set up russians:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

And some more tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Swollen eyes, no appetite, sounds like an RI, the small space stressed him.
any nasal discharge, or open mouth breathing?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

When I enlarge that fourth pic where his head is somewhat in his shell....it looks like he has white mucus in his nostrils????? You may want to have an experienced reptile vet test the white mucus to make sure it is not and infection....

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
No. As an adult, he doesn't require the same level of high humidity that a baby would need.
We have been putting him in a separated smaller enclosure with up to 85F and soaking with baby carrot food and wipe his eyes with salt water every day. His eyes still not turning any better, not eating at all. We even try to feed him by opening his mouth but didn't work out. There is discharge in his eyes. Looking all clear in his nostrils. Is there anything more we can do? Thank you!

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
Repti bark is an ideal substrate. It is my first choice for large russians. I would not use sand at all. It can be a skin and eye irritant as well as an impaction hazard. Coco coir is okay, but I prefer that for babies more than adults like yours.

The small tank did not cause an eye problem. The small tank as well as other factors here, have caused a weakening or lapse of the immune system. It is this that has allowed the symptoms of eye infection to take hold.

Also. You have a double dome fixture up there. You said you had a heat bulb over him prior to the Powersun, but what is the light in the other side of your double dome? Is there a coil type cfl bulb in there for light or UV?

Your tortoise needs a larger enclosure ASAP.

Here is how I like to set up russians:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

And some more tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Hi Tom,
Thank you so much for you reply.
Good to know that repti bark is ok.

To answer your question, we have never used coil type bulb. The one in the other side is a regular night heating bulb.

We want to try our best to help him get through this at this time. He is getting weaker day by day with closed eyes and no appetite at all...

BTW, we actually had another Russian tortoise in this same enclosure for about 2 month before selling him out. That one never had eye issues... Keeping wondering what is wrong with this guy...

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
Hi dmmj,
No sign of nasal discharge. No mouth breathing. Just swollen eyes...
Thank you!