Please help,Substrate change

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol Uk
So today I changed the substrate in my Hermann juvies Viv and he won't go to bed, he has two hides and has wandered in and out of both but isn't settling, normally he's fast asleep by 6.30 and now its 8.30, I've nudged him into his hide and lights are off, do you think it's because of the change? I'm worried

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
A n d now he's up again! T h e enclosure is in darkness but he's in his basking spot, will it hurt to leave him there?

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
If your temps are within the safe parameters then stop stressing and leave him too it, the substrate change has probably just unsettled him. If it's warm enough and there is nothing to eat him then he will be fine... tomorrow he will remember this and become more settled

harrythetortoise

Virginia
It's quite normal for tortoises to behave differently while they are adjusting to changes in their environment. Once he learns that there is no danger to him, he will settle back to his old routine. Don't stress out so much! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So today I changed the substrate in my Hermann juvies Viv and he won't go to bed, he has two hides and has wandered in and out of both but isn't settling, normally he's fast asleep by 6.30 and now its 8.30, I've nudged him into his hide and lights are off, do you think it's because of the change? I'm worried
What substrate did you have, and what substrate did you switch to?

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
I had paper pellets ( big mistake I know) and after reading on here I switched to orchid bark mixed with a little coconut fibre