PLEASE HELP! (Sulcatas with MBD)

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
AFTER VET VISIT UPDATE:

Big tortoise: xray shows its bones are fragile and its shell is too soft for its age and size. Its also dehydrated. The vet wants us to take it back in a couple of months to do another xray for an update on its bones and shell. She’s worried there’s permanent damage and it’ll stop growing. A stool sample was also requested to check for parasites. Overall, she has hope with the right nutrition and care, it can live a good life and the pyramiding can be slowed down.

Small tortoise: It has an infection, we were given antibiotic injections. Bones and shell are delicate and weak. Vet confirmed it’s swollen and dehydrated. X-ray showed its front arm bone is not formed correctly. Its back bones are weak and wasn’t able to tell if the damage is permanent. They wanted to also take blood sample to check for animia but the tort didn’t want to cooperate. Also requested a stool sample. Overall the vet said, she isn’t able to confirm the tort will make it many more years ?

They were both also given Carafate for 10days.
I'm sorry to here the bad news maybe the big one can be saved,but when you take the small one back it may be a kinder thing to not let it suffer any longer god knows she has suffered enough i know how hard it would be but as much as you want her to be ok she has to be in misery,just a thought and again i'm so sorry :-{

_emf

CA
I'm sure that your vet knows best. But just the MBD is so traumatic and so painful. I wouldn't attempt to treat for parasites at this time.
Did the vet prescribe liquid D3?
No, the vet only prescribed antibiotics and carafate. I’ll call and ask about D3, just to make sure

_emf

CA
I'm sorry to here the bad news maybe the big one can be saved,but when you take the small one back it may be a kinder thing to not let it suffer any longer god knows she has suffered enough i know how hard it would be but as much as you want her to be ok she has to be in misery,just a thought and again i'm so sorry :-{
Its such a hard thing to think about. But you’re right, we don’t want the poor little thing to be in pain. We’ll be taking it back to the vet next week. I’ll speak to the vet and see what she recommends. If its in pain and its not resolvable then there might not be another choice :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Unfortunately
I completely agree with you

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Its such a hard thing to think about. But you’re right, we don’t want the poor little thing to be in pain. We’ll be taking it back to the vet next week. I’ll speak to the vet and see what she recommends. If its in pain and its not resolvable then there might not be another choice :(
I'm very sorry I know even in this small amount of time you have grown to love and care for them

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Some times keeping an animal alive is not necessarily the best thing for the animal. My family has been involved in turtle and tortoise rescue for 30-40 years, I am a Sulcata person...my first instinct is to offer to take them...and make them better...only in the small tort's case euthanization is the best thing for him. MBD HURTS. In any case...he will need to be euthanized...why wait a week? He will be in pain for that week. He will not get better.
The bigger tort needs an expert in the species, you are very good hearted...but I think you need to really think think that over...maybe...the best thing for the bigger one is a more experienced Sulcata keeper.
All that is my own opinion and experience and my family's. I am not an expert by any means...but he is also in pain...will his QUALITY of life be pain free? Are you willing to spend the money on equipment and Vet bills?
I will help you in any way I can. Please hang around and ask questions and allow our experts to help you...
This is Mary Knobbins...badly pyramided...but no MBD
100_0753.JPG

_emf

CA
Some times keeping an animal alive is not necessarily the best thing for the animal. My family has been involved in turtle and tortoise rescue for 30-40 years, I am a Sulcata person...my first instinct is to offer to take them...and make them better...only in the small tort's case euthanization is the best thing for him. MBD HURTS. In any case...he will need to be euthanized...why wait a week? He will be in pain for that week. He will not get better.
The bigger tort needs an expert in the species, you are very good hearted...but I think you need to really think think that over...maybe...the best thing for the bigger one is a more experienced Sulcata keeper.
All that is my own opinion and experience and my family's. I am not an expert by any means...but he is also in pain...will his QUALITY of life be pain free? Are you willing to spend the money on equipment and Vet bills?
I will help you in any way I can. Please hang around and ask questions and allow our experts to help you...
This is Mary Knobbins...badly pyramided...but no MBD
View attachment 338760

Putting the small tortoise down is something we’re defined talking about since Ron mentioned it. I’m calling the vet tomorrow to speak about euthanizing for the small tortoise. I also want to ask more questions about MBD and confirm the diagnosis for the bigger tort. The first visit we mostly spoke about the small tortoise.

Regarding the bigger tortoise. I know i don’t have much experience but I do have my own healthy Sulcata that’s 8 years old. I’d like to keep this foster for some time and help it as much as I can. I’m also glad I have this forum with knowledgeable people who can offer advise. The vet visits and expenses isn’t something im worried about.

This is Lucy, my beautiful big baby.

Attachments

• 8E718871-1D87-4E1E-AB77-0743CFEB4D20.jpeg
    8E718871-1D87-4E1E-AB77-0743CFEB4D20.jpeg
    479.3 KB · Views: 30

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is my experience that once the carapace collapses like it has on the smaller tortoise, death soon follows. I'm so sorry this is happening. What you're doing is wonderful. Here's hoping for a good outcome.

_emf

CA
It is my experience that once the carapace collapses like it has on the smaller tortoise, death soon follows. I'm so sorry this is happening. What you're doing is wonderful. Here's hoping for a good outcome.
Hi Yvonne. Thank you for writing and for your input. We now have an appointment on Wednesday to go over euthanasia with the vet.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Hi Yvonne. Thank you for writing and for your input. We now have an appointment on Wednesday to go over euthanasia with the vet.
I know it will be hard but ,i think once it sets in how much of a kindness you are doing for her i'm sure you will feel better soon then you can pour all your effort into the big one,again I'm very sorry it had to go that way

Otty2021

Rome
Hi Emf, it breaks my heart after reading the sad conditions of your small tortoise ... and I appreciate your kindness trying to help this little creature. I am new to the tortoise world and I have read many interesting information and useful advises in this forum since these two days. I lost my 2yrs old hermanni tortoise 3 weeks ago. I had noticed something wrong with him when he was given to me (by my neighbour) on October 2021. He had eyes infection and other health problems that make it complicated, until one day, he's never awake from the anesthesia...I still question myself, if he lives in the wild without our human interference , will this kind of sickness happened ...?
I understand it's a hard decision you have to make for your small tortoise, I wish there is a miracle that he/she will survive❤️?.All the Best

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Putting the small tortoise down is something we’re defined talking about since Ron mentioned it. I’m calling the vet tomorrow to speak about euthanizing for the small tortoise. I also want to ask more questions about MBD and confirm the diagnosis for the bigger tort. The first visit we mostly spoke about the small tortoise.

Regarding the bigger tortoise. I know i don’t have much experience but I do have my own healthy Sulcata that’s 8 years old. I’d like to keep this foster for some time and help it as much as I can. I’m also glad I have this forum with knowledgeable people who can offer advise. The vet visits and expenses isn’t something im worried about.

This is Lucy, my beautiful big baby.
Lucy looks lovely well done. Good luck with the other 2.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is a case of a keeper that saw these tortoises as some sort of unimportant objects. And a new one that's able to see them as living, feeling, vulnerable and wonderful beings.
Tortoises are the absolute worst impulse purchase. And too many people get them with absolutely NO idea if what they're getting into. Or worse. They don't even care.
You're doing a great thing. No matter the outcome.

_emf

CA
Hi Emf, it breaks my heart after reading the sad conditions of your small tortoise ... and I appreciate your kindness trying to help this little creature. I am new to the tortoise world and I have read many interesting information and useful advises in this forum since these two days. I lost my 2yrs old hermanni tortoise 3 weeks ago. I had noticed something wrong with him when he was given to me (by my neighbour) on October 2021. He had eyes infection and other health problems that make it complicated, until one day, he's never awake from the anesthesia...I still question myself, if he lives in the wild without our human interference , will this kind of sickness happened ...?
I understand it's a hard decision you have to make for your small tortoise, I wish there is a miracle that he/she will survive❤️?.All the Best
Thank you for your kind words and im so sorry to hear about your tortoise. Sending you lots of ❤️

_emf

CA
This is a case of a keeper that saw these tortoises as some sort of unimportant objects. And a new one that's able to see them as living, feeling, vulnerable and wonderful beings.
Tortoises are the absolute worst impulse purchase. And too many people get them with absolutely NO idea if what they're getting into. Or worse. They don't even care.
You're doing a great thing. No matter the outcome.
I 100% agree with you. People buy tortoises because their cute but don’t take time to do the research beforehand and take time to think if they’ll be able to commit to providing them a good nutrition and home.

_emf

CA
1/12/22 - AFTER VET VISIT UPDATE

The vet did confirm today, euthanasia is definitely something she had thought about in the first visit but would like for Tiny (small tort) to finish the antibiotics and other prescription to see if there is a positive change. I know this is risky and I did bring up Tortoise Forum members concerns. She asked me to wait as we’ve only had Tiny for a week. We have made another appointment for check up and talk about the future.

Otty2021

Rome
1/12/22 - AFTER VET VISIT UPDATE

The vet did confirm today, euthanasia is definitely something she had thought about in the first visit but would like for Tiny (small tort) to finish the antibiotics and other prescription to see if there is a positive change. I know this is risky and I did bring up Tortoise Forum members concerns. She asked me to wait as we’ve only had Tiny for a week. We have made another appointment for check up and talk about the futureIam