Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamberry

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Anchorage, AK
Alright, so here's the thing...

An acquaintance of mine has an adult female Russian Tortoise that she needs to "get rid of," and that I agreed to take off her hands to save it from being returned to the pet store(and her). I've already posted about her a few times, so that part may be like a re-cap for some people.

Now I've researched the size and type of enclosure ideal for an adult Russian Tortoise, but I haven't got that kind of space right now, and won't until about May when I move into my new home. So I'm in the process of making a temporary pen for the little lady.

My plan is to convert a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote into a "pen." But I need some help with a few things...

1.) What sorts of adhesives are safe to use?
I've got no idea what's safe to use for areas that will become pretty warm; 90-95F. I first thought about silicon, but heard silicon based adhesives will stop working after a while on anything but glass.

2.) Is there a "best" kind of wire mesh to use?
I want to cut out the middle of the tote lid and replace it with a kind of screen that will allow good airflow but still give a protective top. Is there a certain type that will be okay with a CHE and/or spot light resting fairly close over it(within an inch or two), so that it won't cause any bad effects when it heats up?

3.)What would be the best way to attach the mesh to the plastic lid?
I was thinking about the silicon stuff, but again I don't really know.

4.) What kinds of wood are safe to use?
I'm going to make a simple rectangle frame to support the tote lid after cutting out the middle of it, and don't know if there's anything that could be dangerous to the tortoise.

5.) If I use wood to elevate the CHE and/or spot light from the wire mesh, is there a high risk of it burning or causing any other problems?

I have never made an enclosure before(if you couldn't guess, lol), and reeeally need some help with these things. I've only got until March to make the "pen," and I'd like this temporary home to be as good for her as possible until I move and can make her a large tortoise table.

I know there are a good few on these forums with lots of knowledge and experience when it comes to making enclosures(I've looked at a lot of really awesome pens).

So please give me any info., advice or tips you can, because I am in dire need of it in those particular places. K.O'd indeed. x.x

Thanks,
Brett

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I always went the lazy way and just bent my wire to make the screen top, so the entire thing was made from the wire. Two long sides bent over and it sorta slides onto the container. I use a heavy wire that the mesh is 1/2" by 1". Then I just can place lights/heaters on the wire itself.

On the bigger Rubbermaid stock tanks I made a wooden frame and placed the wire flat top between the two layers of wood that I made the frame from.

Here lids need to be able to take the weight of fat cats jumping on them and also to not slide off when they jump on/off or use the tops as launching points.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I suggest making a frame from 1x1s and 2x1s, 1/4 inch chicken wire and nailed or screwed together. This will support the lamps and give security and good air flow. Any type of inexpensive wood will work because the torts will not have any contact with it. My only other suggestion would be see if you can find what I call cement mixing tub, the ones I have are 24x36x8.

Status
Not open for further replies.