Please help white lump on turtles neck

Sapanga

Location (City and/or State)
Northern ireland
We just recently got this wee guy and he had this lump on his neck when we got him but I’m growing more concerned about it. I had initially thought it might have been an injury and would clear up. Does anyone know what this is and is there any home treatments for this as we don’t have a suitable vet nearby9F53CA52-A8A5-4E8B-99BF-1B0CFDBAA087.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a little high to be an ear abscess, but it looks like some sort of abscess. Might need to be lanced and given a round of antibiotics.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You've posted a low resolution image and I can't zoom in and see it well at all.

From the fuzzy image - it looks like a typical bite mark from another turtle - very possibly a slider if kept together. In courtship behavior, sliders will bite the back of the neck of females and leave those marks. A better picture could help see if that is the case here.

Sapanga

Northern ireland
Thanks for your replies, I will try and get a better photo. I was thinking it was possibly a bite or some kind of infection. We actually acquired this wee guy because he was in a very dirty tank with a few other turtles so we brought them home to better care for them. I have after many phone calls managed to get a vet to come and see him thankfully

Sapanga

Northern ireland
You've posted a low resolution image and I can't zoom in and see it well at all.

From the fuzzy image - it looks like a typical bite mark from another turtle - very possibly a slider if kept together. In courtship behavior, sliders will bite the back of the neck of females and leave those marks. A better picture could help see if that is the case here.

These r the best photos I could get of the white lump. He’s still quite lively and is eating well.

Attachments

• 49C5C718-CA9F-4C63-AA88-DF1BDE1C7B08.jpeg
    49C5C718-CA9F-4C63-AA88-DF1BDE1C7B08.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 8F07E6C2-350E-4FDA-AA23-7EB7ADF905D3.jpeg
    8F07E6C2-350E-4FDA-AA23-7EB7ADF905D3.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 14