please help! (white spots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantheman

5 Year Member
hi i recently brought a tortoise from a pet shop about a week ago and have recently noticed that more and more white spots have been appearing on his back, when i bathe him the spots disappear, there are some pictures below, im not sure if you will be able to see them, the petshop wasnt keeping him in the right condidtions so im thinking it may be some fungal infection from reading other posts about it.

please could someone help

thanks
Dan

Attachments

• hermann1.jpg
    hermann1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
  • hermann2.jpg
    hermann2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • hermann3.jpg
    hermann3.jpg
    976.3 KB · Views: 101

RGB

5 Year Member
RE: please help!

Not really visible in pics to my eye. My guess would be just some "drying" / "scaling" of the shell. If worsens or associated with pitting or softening of the shell you could get a reptile vet to take a look.
Good luck!
Bob

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

Hi Dan, and welcome to the Forum!!

I don't see it either, however fungus doesn't thrive in dry conditions. Clean it real well and dab on a bit of athlete foot cream for a week or so. It won't hurt.

dantheman

5 Year Member

thank you both for replying and helping, i will wake up early tomorrow and post some pictures first thing, also in the pet shop, his glass viv wasnt that dry, looked a lil damp :/ , he didnt have hardly any airflow also, i have only just built him a table to live in, i will pick up some athletes foot cream in the morning as well, i did take him to the vet but the vet wouldnt touch him, he didnt even know anything about his papers.

thanks again
Dan

dantheman

5 Year Member

hi, i have just brought some AT cream and also taken some new pictures of him/her, would it hurt him to try the AT cream on him if he does not have rot on his shell? also where do i have to put him after doing the treatment?

hopefully these pictures you may be able to see all the white spots on his shell :/

thank you
Dan

dantheman

5 Year Member

hi, i have just brought some AT cream and also taken some new pictures of him/her, would it hurt him to try the AT cream on him if he does not have rot on his shell? also where do i have to put him after doing the treatment?

hopefully these pictures you may be able to see all the white spots on his shell :/

thank you
Dan

dantheman

5 Year Member

hopefully these pictures are good enough to see all the white spots on his shell :/

thank you
Dan

Attachments

• IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 73

dantheman

5 Year Member

emysemys said:
Hi Dan, and welcome to the Forum!!

I don't see it either, however fungus doesn't thrive in dry conditions. Clean it real well and dab on a bit of athlete foot cream for a week or so. It won't hurt.

Attachments

• IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 67

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yeah, now I see it on the bottom shell. Clean it real well with a brush, dry it well, then put on the fungus cream. It should clear up in no time. Keep the habitat on the dry side. To provide a bit of moisture and humidity you can pack the hiding place with moist sphagnum moss and he'll burrow under it. You can still keep him in his habitat.

dantheman

5 Year Member

emysemys said:
Yeah, now I see it on the bottom shell. Clean it real well with a brush, dry it well, then put on the fungus cream. It should clear up in no time. Keep the habitat on the dry side. To provide a bit of moisture and humidity you can pack the hiding place with moist sphagnum moss and he'll burrow under it. You can still keep him in his habitat.

thanks for the reply, i put some on it today and was just wondering if i should not bathe him for a while? also would once a day be enough? also would betadine speed up the process, if so could it be any anti-sceptic spray? sorry for the bombardment of all the questions.

i am also wondering what type of hermanni he or she is, i was going on the fact my tortoise has a clear key hole making on his shell but its not the but its not the fifth one down.

thanks again for your help
Dan

RGB

5 Year Member

The cream won't hurt. It may still be old, and not actively infected. Likewise betadine won't hurt either, but probably unnecessary. It looks pretty minor and if active, you caught it early. Again, keep it dry (a bath is fine, it will dry quickly, just keep enclosure relatively low humidity for a couple weeks while you rub the cream into the lesions for a couple weeks).

By the way, looks like hermanni boettgeri:

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=243

Gd luck!
Bob

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

Be patient. Fungus takes a while to completely clear up. Love your tort...he's beautiful.

dantheman

5 Year Member

Thank you all for being very helpful, does anyone know if the infected bits of his shell should start peeling? And if they are sort of sticking out should I try take them off? Also he Is very active and loves to climb, does anyone know of whats best to put in his table for him to climb over.

Thanks
Dan

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Flatter rocks, 2-3 in a cluster, or a piece of low driftwood or a log are great. I like driftwood if it is accessible because it has been sterilized by the sea and the sun. Rocks can be washed off well with hot water.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1557506307001516

This article based on actual diagnosis (identifying the pathogen) indicates that fungas alone is not a source of shell rot.

Treating for fungus if there is no fungus will be futile.

emysemys, you might ask Dr. Sue next time you have occasion, who found shell rot on a galop at a local zoo, my smelling the bacterial infection through the porous carapacial scutes.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.