Please help with my new tortoise

Oscar H.

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
My name is Oscar Holloway. I live near Cleveland, Ohio. I recently had an interest in getting a tortoise. I had a Russian tortoise at a young age that sadly passed away and I wish to get another one now. I'd like any information I could get on diets, habitats, and anything else that could be helpful. It also might be good to add that we have two cats so taking care of it might be harder with that. I would really appreciate any advice and I look forward to meeting you all.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Welcome!
I'm always happy to hear about someone doing research before getting a new pet. With proper care a tort will be with you for a LONG time.
I don't have cats but I know that other members have them. They could give advice about steps to take, although they may not spot the question here and you may have to start a separate thread for the question.
Here is a good care sheet that we recommend here on the forum.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! I think Russians are the best but like all tortoises, they need plenty of space.

I wouldn’t expect much trouble from cats if you get an adult Russian. We have four cats and while they show some interest in her or her burrow on occasion, my Russian is very scrappy and keeps them in their place. She’s a bully!

It’s not like it is with dogs, who like to chew tortoises. :eek:

If you have an indoor enclosure I suppose you might have issues with their wanting to use the substrate as a bathroom; you’ll need to find a way to limit their access.