Please help, yellow spots and broken nail!

noillatsyrc

Location (City and/or State)
San Pedro
Hello all, I adopted this tortoise with different expectations of its maintenance, but have realized the in depth care a baby sulcata needs. I’ve been doing everything I feel is necessary but to no avail I still feel that I’m not doing what’s best for my little guy. He just broke a nail, the nail is sticking upwards and I know that gently touching the nail or the way he walks on that foot may cause him a bit of pain so I’ve let it be in hopes that I can get some input. I also noticed these little yellow spots on his hind legs, and I don’t know what they could be at all. I’m dedicated to ensuring that my baby is healthy and happy and I’ll do what I need to to make sure he’s well! Also does anyone have any recommendations for vets that can help located in or near Los Angeles? I don’t want to waste my time going to a uneducated vet!

Attachments

• 8B4E5375-D428-4063-B4B4-DE5ABE9D3ED4.png
    8B4E5375-D428-4063-B4B4-DE5ABE9D3ED4.png
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • 87312F5C-F41F-4881-9A0C-8401035339F7.png
    87312F5C-F41F-4881-9A0C-8401035339F7.png
    958.4 KB · Views: 48
  • A6C4FD3F-3F49-4D71-AD09-4015CC94331A.png
    A6C4FD3F-3F49-4D71-AD09-4015CC94331A.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Note to @Yvonne G or Another Moderator:

Please move this thread into the Tortoise Health section of the forum where the other threads about the yellow bumps or yellow spots are.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
@noillatsyrc If the yellow bumps are the same thing as what we've been seeing on the forum lately, it's a contagious bacterial disease. It doesn't affect humans, but you will need a reptile vet to prescribe the right antibiotics.

Some of our forum members located near you should be able to help with recommendations for a good reptile vet.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm so sorry you are having such difficulties with your baby! We know you are trying hard to get everything correct.

I don't remember if you've told us...where did you get your tortoise?

How did he break his nail? Have you been able to determine where he caught it and fix that spot?
I think maybe the toe is dislocated.
I'll tag someone who can help.

I would gently wash the area and feel with your fingers to see if the toe feels like it's out of position. Then dry it, and apply some Neosporin to the nail bed. Re-apply some antibiotic ointment daily until healed.

The forum has been seeing a number of yellow spots on baby sulcata. Someone will contact you about them...I see she just did.

@zovick

noillatsyrc

San Pedro
We've been seeing a number of cases with yellow bumps on baby sulcatas lately on the forum.

Where did you get your little one from? When did you get it?

@mastershake @Tom This one is in California.

I got my tortoise from a place called Reptile Factory in Downey, California. I live in the South Bay of Los Angeles though.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I got my tortoise from a place called Reptile Factory in Downey, California. I live in the South Bay of Los Angeles though.
How long have you had your tortoise?
Also, have you contacted the vendor to let them know yet? They may not be aware otherwise.

noillatsyrc

San Pedro
I'm so sorry you are having such difficulties with your baby! We know you are trying hard to get everything correct.

How did he break his nail? Have you been able to determine where he caught it and fix that spot?

I would gently wash the area and feel with your fingers to see if the toe feels like it's out of position. Then dry it, and apply some Neosporin to the nail bed. Re-apply some antibiotic ointment daily until healed.

The forum has been seeing a number of yellow spots on baby sulcata. Someone will contact you about them...I see she just did.

@zovick
Hi Yvonne! I haven’t been able to quite figure out what may have caused his nail to break but I will post a picture of what his enclosure looks like. He flips over quite often and tries to climb up the walls but I’ve never thought anything in my closure may have posed a problem to his underside and feet.

noillatsyrc

San Pedro
Hi Yvonne! I haven’t been able to quite figure out what may have caused his nail to break but I will post a picture of what his enclosure looks like. He flips over quite often and tries to climb up the walls but I’ve never thought anything in my closure may have posed a problem to his underside and feet.

@zovick

Attachments

• 018751F7-5798-4B99-A99B-C8E36E4CF2FD.jpeg
    018751F7-5798-4B99-A99B-C8E36E4CF2FD.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 19

noillatsyrc

San Pedro
How long have you had your tortoise?
Also, have you contacted the vendor to let them know yet? They may not be aware otherwise.
I’ve had my tortoise for about 3 months. I’m not sure if the vendor will care as the fungus has just now appeared. Does it develop or is it rooted in how the vendor started my baby?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I’ve had my tortoise for about 3 months. I’m not sure if the vendor will care as the fungus has just now appeared. Does it develop or is it rooted in how the vendor started my baby?
I don't know if Reptile Factory breeds any of their own tortoises or not. They may be a reseller. Go ahead and let them know anyway. That gives them the option to examine any babies they still may have, or to factor that into their considerations and precautions when dealing with their breeder/source in the future.

Not sure it's a fungus, but not ruling it out. Seems to be bacterial.

Is this your only reptile?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
hmmmmmm now im curious IF this could be another symptom ALL three of the babies we had in question @KarenSoCal and @Pastel Tortie lost toenails the one who got the bumps the worst of the three in fact lost 3 toenails. all three have grown them back over the last 7 months though

but yes the yellow lesions are bacterial and require meds there may be a much larger underlying issue though related to these bumps which i will have a definitive answer to next week but if its what we are researching its a VERY HIGHLY contagious parasite disease and if you have any other torts or snakes etc make sure to keep them full separated and wear glove to avoid ALL contact

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
hmmmmmm now im curious IF this could be another symptom ALL three of the babies we had in question @KarenSoCal and @Pastel Tortie lost toenails the one who got the bumps the worst of the three in fact lost 3 toenails. all three have grown them back over the last 7 months though

but yes the yellow lesions are bacterial and require meds there may be a much larger underlying issue though related to these bumps which i will have a definitive answer to next week but if its what we are researching its a VERY HIGHLY contagious parasite disease and if you have any other torts or snakes etc make sure to keep them full separated and wear glove to avoid ALL contact
But from everything we're aware of, it doesn't affect humans. :)

However, anyone seeing yellow bumps or spots on a baby sulcata needs to take heavy-duty precautions to keep from transmitting anything contagious to any other reptiles they may own or contact.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Your enclosure is very pretty! I think he would appreciate a live plant or two.

Try to get a plant from someone you know that has not used any chemicals on it. Maybe take a cutting or start from seeds. Any plant you buy from a store is loaded with weed and bug killer.

Pothos, spider plants, boston ferns, and prayer plants are all good ones to look for. Watch and see if he tries to eat it. Mine will chew on pothos, but won't touch spider plants. So I've started new plants from pothos cuttings. They grow very fast, and when big enough I will put them in with him.

I just thought I would offer this suggestion, if you're interested. I know your baby would love it!

noillatsyrc

San Pedro
I don't know if Reptile Factory breeds any of their own tortoises or not. They may be a reseller. Go ahead and let them know anyway. That gives them the option to examine any babies they still may have, or to factor that into their considerations and precautions when dealing with their breeder/source in the future.

Not sure it's a fungus, but not ruling it out. Seems to be bacterial.

Is this your only reptile?
Yes this is my only reptile!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello all, I adopted this tortoise with different expectations of its maintenance, but have realized the in depth care a baby sulcata needs. I’ve been doing everything I feel is necessary but to no avail I still feel that I’m not doing what’s best for my little guy. He just broke a nail, the nail is sticking upwards and I know that gently touching the nail or the way he walks on that foot may cause him a bit of pain so I’ve let it be in hopes that I can get some input. I also noticed these little yellow spots on his hind legs, and I don’t know what they could be at all. I’m dedicated to ensuring that my baby is healthy and happy and I’ll do what I need to to make sure he’s well! Also does anyone have any recommendations for vets that can help located in or near Los Angeles? I don’t want to waste my time going to a uneducated vet!
@noillatsyrc
There is a good exotics vet at VCA Animal Hospital in Los Angeles. Her name is Dr. Laila Proenca. She is the head of their exotics programs in southern CA. She has treated my tortoises here in GA before she moved to CA to take the job with VCA a few years ago. Here is the most recent contact info I have for Dr. Proenca:

Laila M. Proença, MV, DVM, MS, PhD

Director of the Exotic Animal Medicine Program

VCA Animal Hospitals, 12401 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064
, 1 (800) 966-1822

Associate Veterinarian at the Avian & Exotics Department
VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital, 1900 S Sepulveda Blvd,
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310) 473-2951

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I think this person is going through the same thing as you.
Maybe you can ask them some questions