Please Look At My New Tortoise House Set-Up; I need HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles Area
I have finally set up my tortoise house (rearranged 3 times based on many threads on TF), and I would love some feedback from all you experts out there, or newbies who have successfully set up their tables. I am pretty happy with the set up, but I really need some advice on certain issues, as I'm not sure Ari is as happy as I am with her abode. Below are photos of the house, which I hope show all the relevant parts of the house. Ari is in one of the hides - she is a bit shy - so I have also attached a photo of her. My questions/issues follow below the photos. BTW - she is a greek (I'm not certain of her subspecies), about 8-9 months old.

Here's some basic info about the house:

Substrate: Pure Coco Coir. Previously I mixed in Cypress Mulch but Ari started eating it. I also have mixed in Repti Bark, but I read on TF that it is difficult for babies to walk on so I don't use it anymore. The hot side has a bottom layer of moist moss (exo-terra forest moss) with about 2-3 inches of coco coir on top; the warm side is coco coir only.

The moss you will see in the photos is a mix of forest moss and sphagnum moss - wet on the hot side and dry on the warm side.

Hot Humid Side: Day - 89-101 degrees, between 20-50% maximum "general" humidity :( , humid hides humidity: between 40-50%. Humid Hide #1 is an upside down rectangular plastic container covered in contact paper with cut-out opening; a moist sponge is glued to the "ceiling"; moist moss in the back. [Ari spends most of her time sleeping in Hide #1]. Humid Hide #2 is angled into a hill of layers of moist moss and coco coir. Night: 69-71 degrees (MVB & CHE off; I replace the basking bulb with a 100Watt incandescent bulb if the night is chilly; if not, all lights are off)

Warm Dry Side: Between 71-82 degrees and a bit lower at night. Virtually no humidity.

Please Beware! The warm dry side is sparse and dark and in my opinion looks awful and unwelcoming. Ari NEVER goes in there. I have tried to entice her by placing her cuttlebone slightly inside the entry, but no success so far. I could use some interior designing help here!

'Nuf said . . . here are the photos.

table1-1.jpg

table7-1.jpg

table6-1.jpg

table5-1-1.jpg

table4-1.jpg

table2-1.jpg

arikiss.jpg

I have read through the posts in the Enclosures part of the forum (as well as the species-specific Greek posts), and have read just enough to get completely confused as I try to reconcile all the different (but not necessarily inconsistent) advice. That said, I've tried very hard to narrow down the issues. So here we go . . . !

HUMIDITY: This seems to be the most challenging issue for me. With the current set up, the humidity in the hot area only goes up to about 50%, and that's only AFTER I spray the hot section. I believe that I need to have an additional source(s) of moisture as well as increase the temperature of the substrate. I am considering placing heat ropes under the substrate and decreasing the wattage of the lamps, but I'm not sure of the best way to add more moisture. I have read the following ideas: attaching very wet sponges (where?), placing a glass cover over the humid side (where and what about the lighting from above?); installing a waterfall (sounds complicated), and/or using a wet/damp humidifier (sounds expensive & where/how?). I'm sure there is a simple solution that won't require me to take out a second mortgage on my house, or spend all day spraying the house, but I just can't seem to find it.

REGULATING TEMPERATURE: Right now I'm not employed so I have the ability to check the temps a few times a day and make adjustments (ie, changing the CHE from 100 Watts to 60 Watts or vice-versa), but at some point when I find a job I will be out of the house all day. I have looked at the thermostats at PetSmart - they look kind of cheap and flimsy to me, and I question their quality/effectiveness. I figure that Home Depot is the best source for thermostats, so if anyone can recommend a good brand which can handle multiple sources of heat I would appreciate it.

LAMPS: All of my lamps have ceramic bases, so I'm clear on that issue. However, I don't know when a dome lamp should be used vs. a wire lamp. I assume the dome light provides more concentrated heat, while a wire lamp disburses heat to a larger area (pretty basic), but I don't know which lamps should be concentrated on an area (other than the basking lamp as that seems obvious) or broadly disbursed.

SPARSE WARM AREA: As mentioned above, the warm area is very unwelcoming and DARK (I think it's supposed to be dark given that it has a cover), and Ari never goes in there. If anyone has any ideas to spruce it up to make it into a place Ari would like to visit once in a while, I would really appreciate it.

ANY OTHER ADVICE/SUGGESTIONS IS/ARE WELCOME!! Don't hesitate to offer constructive criticism or make any other comments. I have never been steered wrong here! :)

Thanks for your patience reading this very lengthy post (those of you who have successfully trudged through this)! My intention was to minimize the backing and forthing of basic questions that usually follow posts requesting help regarding fairly broad topics.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Kristina

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
I'm sure someone will come along with constructive criticism. But wow, very well thought out enclosure and impressive photos complete with annotations and documentation. Any tort would be lucky to live under your care.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I am no expert but it looks like you have put a lot of thought into this enclosure. Wish I could help with your question but I am impressed with the work that went it this set up..

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Re: humidity... I use a reptifogger. It was ~$50 I think. But I tend to use it most frequently when I have my hatchlings outside. That way their inside home is nice & warm & humid when they come back inside. I'm in AZ and struggle to keep the environment from getting bone dry.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Excellent thread of info and annotated pics. Well done ma'am!

No expert here but if i had to pick something to tweak on your dry warm side to entice Aristotle, i'd have to say nudge the temp up a bit. That seems to be the answer so often. lol As for decor, i would suggest whatever you think looks nice as the tort probably doesn't care all that much. :) maybe staple some moss around the opening so it looks more like a natural cave opening? i dunno.

Great enclosure though! Keep it up!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I like it. I agree with other poster that you put some great thought into this. You did a wonderful job, I would love to be a Tort under your care.

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
Thanks for the compliments. I'm afraid my OCD tendencies emerged while I worked on this project. Geez . . . I definitely need a job!!

OllieinAz:"Any tort would be lucky to live under your care" and DixieParadise: "I would love to be a Tort under your care."

LOL! You are TOO kind! Ari will either be very happy or will soon be packing her things and running to therapy to process the pain that her controlling mother inflicted upon her!!! ;)

Thanks for the suggestions - the reptifogger, moss around the entrance to the dark warm part, and the temperature increase - I will try them all. Unfortunately, the temperature suggestion leads me to yet another question: How to slightly increase the temperature in that enclosed area since overhead lighting is not an option. The warm section's current temperature results (I think!) from the ambient temperature in my house increased by any heat that may travel from the adjacent hot area. I assume that I will need to put either heat ropes/cables or a heating pad under the substrate, separately from any under-substrate heating system I put in the open, hot area. That's not framed in the form of a question, so I suppose that I am (AGAIN) soliciting advice from anyone out there who happens upon this thread.

Thanks (again). I LOVE this forum!!

Best,
Kristina

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
I would expect your warm side temps are impacted heavily by the adjacent lighting & CHE. To achieve a 'slight' increase it may be as easy as moving your CHE over (and down?) a few inches.

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
OllieInAZ said:
I would expect your warm side temps are impacted heavily by the adjacent lighting & CHE. To achieve a 'slight' increase it may be as easy as moving your CHE over (and down?) a few inches.

You are BRILLIANT! So I will switch the CHE and basking light - I'll give it a try tomorrow. The basking light will do well over there - Ari basks on top of hide #2 (the wooden log hide) quite a bit, with a smug look on her face as if she scaled Mt. Everest! It's hard to see in the photos, but that hide is at quite an angle, and she loves climbing up and down on it. The first time she did it I just about fell out of my chair. She has done it about 100 times since then!

Can tortoises look smug? :rolleyes:

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Look's great:) you could loss the basking bulb the MVB put's out heat she can bask under it just put a flat rock under so she can lay on:tort: dont worry about it being boring she wont mine it looks great:)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, really great job! You thought of EVERYTHING! Your Greek is lucky to have you! I have a wooden enclosure and it is really hard to maintain humidity in it. My suggestion ( only if you find you are having problems keeping it moist) is to cover your humid side with plexi glass.

Niffer10

5 Year Member
UK
You're enclosure is amazing, I hope to have something similar by the end of the weekend!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Very well thought out. I agree, you could move the CHE closer to the 'cool dry hide', just the proximity would likely warm it up a bit, if needed, although your temps there sound ok. Not sure if you would need the basking light then, or you could move it midway to help with overall warmth if needed, with the MVB toward the warm side. How high off the substrate is the MVB?
If covering part of the warm humid side does not help increase humidity (might be hard to cover and have the MVB help keep it warm), then you could attach a sponge to the inside roof of one of the humid hides with zip ties (means drilling 2-4 small holes) and moisten it periodically. That way your tort could choose to go in there and self regulate the humidity. The idea of microclimates within an enclosure seems to work well.
As far as the warm dry side, try throwing in a small pile of hay (Timothy, etc.). Mine like to burrow in that, they don't care if it is pretty.:rolleyes: And the hay won't degrade as much since it is a drier area, you can still replace it weekly or so.
Great job!
Lynne

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
Thanks again everyone! I was pleased with how the house turned out, as it was certainly a lot of work (and $!), but it's so nice to receive compliments from impartial tort experts! I really appreciate it.

This morning I switched the CHE (w 100W bulb) and basking light, so now the CHE is closer to the cool enclosed side; I am monitoring the temp and if it gets too high I will turn off the basking light. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHETHER I SHOULD BE USING THE WIRE LAMPS VS DOME LAMPS FOR EITHER THE MVB OR CHE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I still don't understand the difference between the two and am just going with my assumption as articulated in my original post.

@ Lynne: The MVB is 20 inches away from the substrate. I have read so much about the dangers of MVBs being too close, but maybe I am being too conservative? Should it be closer?
The plastic container hide does have a sponge affixed to the roof, which I wet down every morning. I think it is working because Ari sleeps in there all the time, whereas prior to me putting that hide in this week, she slept in the wood log hide constantly (the humidity in that hide comes from the mountain of moist moss/coco coir at the back of the hide). Granted, she didn't have a choice at that time (with the only other hide being in the abandoned warm side), but I think this suggests that the sponge is working. I got the sponge idea here on TF, and I thought it was a great suggestion! Thanks for reinforcing it.
Does your statement regarding "microclimates" mean that if the hides provide the ideal humidity level (for Greeks it is 55-65% I believe), then a lower humidity in the rest of the hot area is okay? Thanks for the hay suggestion - I will definitely give that a try.

@ ctTortoiseMom: I did think about a plexiglass top (thanks for the idea), but with the overhead lighting I didn't think that was a good idea, and I was worried about air circulation as well. However, if I try all of the ideas that have been posted and they don't sufficiently increase the humidity, I may go with adding a heat source under the substrate, with a cover on top.

@ coreyc: I initially had a flat rock for Ari for basking, but she never used it! She either slept on the coco coir (right next to the rock!), or on top of the wood log hide, so I just removed it and now it's part of the rock "formation" in the cool side of the enclosure.

Thanks again to everyone!

Best,
Kristina

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
This Is very Great!
Very detailed and Everything, My Opinion on Humidity is if you cant get it right
spray it more, i spray my enclosure and torts shell several times daily!

Also Might i Suggest putting Another Substrate on One Side,
so You Have Two Kinds, get the best of both Worlds!
and who knows maybe you will notice which side your torts Loves,
Although i would say the basking side:)

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
Jacob said:
This Is very Great!
Very detailed and Everything, My Opinion on Humidity is if you cant get it right
spray it more, i spray my enclosure and torts shell several times daily!

Also Might i Suggest putting Another Substrate on One Side,
so You Have Two Kinds, get the best of both Worlds!
and who knows maybe you will notice which side your torts Loves,
Although i would say the basking side:)

Thanks Jacob. The problem with relying on spraying is that at some point I will be working full time and won't be able to spray the enclosure/tort throughout the day (as much as I would like to!). So a more permanent solution would be best. OllieinAz suggested a repti-fogger, so I'm going to give that a try. I like your idea about different substrates. Any suggestions? I already tried cypress, but Ari started eating it. I also bought some organic soil, but it had large pieces of dark bark in it which I didn't like, and it smelled so I never used it. I've seen references to Aspen bedding, but the PetSmart near my house only has COLORED Aspen bedding. What do you recommend?

As for Ari's favorite side, you are correct - I think she's already voted for the hot/basking side. I would be happy if she goes into the cool side JUST ONCE!!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Best,
Kristina

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You should cover part of the top with plexiglass to keep the humidity in is she eating the cypress or nibbling at it ? what are you feeding her ?

Status
Not open for further replies.