Please meet my new enclosure and friend! (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackmac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
Hi TFO members,
My search for a baby leapord tortoise has finally come to a conclusion. After two months of research, I finally decided to pull the trigger this past week. I would like to give a few shout-outs before jumping into the main thread. First, would like to thank all TFO members for providing me with such useful information, without you guys, this would not be possible. Special thanks to agiletort (he was the first TFO member to educate me about tortoise in general), Tom (for answering all my questions and giving me the insipiration to build a good enclosure), and of course all moderators/members for responding to all my threads and questions. Second, would really like to thank Neal for providing me with such a high quality leopord. I have seen a few leapords at pet stores and reptile shows, but they are nowhere close. Besides answering all my questions, he payed extra attention to shipping/handling. He also made a few followups to make sure the tortoise arrived safely. Of course I can go on and on, but let me share a few pics with you guys.

This is my new friend, don't have a name yet still thinking of one. Apologize in advance for the mediocre pics as I am in the process of getting another camera.
P9160272.jpg

P9160270.jpg

P9160269.jpg

Pics below are my hide. I was forutante enough to have someone local to assemble for me at a cheap price. Hey Tom and Maggie, hope you guys don't think I am a "copy-cat"

/http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/jackmac/P9160273.jpg
P9160264.jpg

P9160266.jpg

As a result of this setup, I am able to maintain my humidity at 98% inside/close to the humid hide. My temps are ranging from 71-74 (cool-side), basking around 95-98, and humid hide around high 80s.
P9160267.jpg

I am not sure if it is stress or what but he still hasn't eaten anything for the past 2 days. He does seem pretty active, and I try to soak him everyday for about 15-20 minutes. Trying to feed him wet mazuri and some spring mix, but he dosen't seem interested. I planted some seeds on the sides of the enclosure. Maybe will try some fresh timothy hay? Not sure. Any changes or suggestions appreciated. Thanks once again.
Jack

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They do take time to adjust and the shipping probably has something to do with it, he looks healthy though so I would not worry yet, just keep offering food .

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Congratulations on your new companion! I agree... that is a REALLY nice enclosure!!! :):)

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Very nice set up. one concern, The ceramic heater is in a plastic socket. how many watts is it? you may want to keep a close eye one it. Iv only used ceramic ones, but from the things memebers on here have said i would change it out. good luck with the little guy! and if you can get some cactus pads and dice them up he may gobble them up!

Timmytort

5 Year Member
I would say you have done well keep that humidity right where it is and whatever you name him/her will grow up smooth and happy. Very pretty

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am glad you are liking him.

One thing that is concerning me that I think you should address urgently is bumping your temperatures up. The low 70's with nearly 100% humidity is flirting with danger. The humidity level you are showing is good for inside a humid hide, but I would not let the temperature drop below 80 with that high of humidity. I would suggest maintaining your temperatures above 80 to help him stimulate his appetite. Then when he gets better adjusted to his new living arrangements, you can let the temps down a little bit.

Natural sunlight does wonders for an appetite as well...so keep that in mind. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

You've just gotten some great advice from Neal, so all I might suggest is that you offer whatever food Neal was feeding. Don't try to change his food. It does take some time for them to settle down and get used to new digs, it's easier for them if you feed a food they are used to eating. And your habitat is great looking, nice job!

I agree with Crystal about your CHE in a plastic socket...that's playing with fire...so to speak. You should change it out ASAP and possibly lower it closer to the substrate. It looks too far away, but that may just be the camera angle

Status
Not open for further replies.