Please meet the new addition to my family. :)

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

I was just wondering: I've never owned a Chihuahua, but they have a reputation as snappy, yappy little things. Before you throttle me, I never said I agreed with the general populace! But they're often regarded either as that or handbag dogs. PLEASE don't be offended. Some people are ignorant. I just want to know what you think of them as pets.

I was in two minds whether to post this or not, but I'm sure you'll address the situation calmly and thoughtfully... Please?!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I was just wondering: I've never owned a Chihuahua, but they have a reputation as snappy, yappy little things. Before you throttle me, I never said I agreed with the general populace! But they're often regarded either as that or handbag dogs. PLEASE don't be offended. Some people are ignorant. I just want to know what you think of them as pets.

I was in two minds whether to post this or not, but I'm sure you'll address the situation calmly and thoughtfully... Please?!
I love chihuahua's. They are my favorite breed. That being said, they often can live up to their reputation. Mostly it is because as a breed they are naturally cautious/suspicious of strangers. Because of this, they must be socialized a whole lot as puppies. That rarely happens as it should, and then you end up with the behavior problems people think of. They are suspicious of strangers, but once they bond to you (their family) I've never known a sweeter or more loyal breed. I adore them. But I admit they are not for everyone. I do not believe they should live with small children. They also don't appreciate living in a hectic or busy household. Those environments can make them anxious and the more anxious they are the more they display the negative behavior traits. So for a true chihuahua lover, who really knows and understands the breed, they can make the best pet/friend. Please remember though, aggressive behavior almost always is the result of fear.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The majority of small dogs (not just Chihuahuas) aren't treated as dogs and that's where the snappy, yappy comes in to play. Their people let them get away with bad behavior.

Simply put, any breed of dog can be a wonderful companion (and decent "member" of society) when they are part of stable pack and led by a calm assertive human pack leader. ;)

I'd love to know how this guy is doing. How has he handled the eye?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The majority of small dogs (not just Chihuahuas) aren't treated as dogs and that's where the snappy, yappy comes in to play. Their people let them get away with bad behavior.

Simply put, any breed of dog can be a wonderful companion (and decent "member" of society) when they are part of stable pack and led by a calm assertive human pack leader. ;)

I'd love to know how this guy is doing. How has he handled the eye?
That may be somewhat true, but what I find in fostering them is that it is an issue more of them not being socialized. It's not letting them get away with bad behavior always. They do not think they are big dogs like people assume. They are well aware of the fact that they are tiny and vulnerable. Add that to not being socialized and you end up with a nervous, scared dog. Which leads to aggression. (snappy and yappy) Marley is mostly blind and was never socialized properly as a young dog. Therefore, he is a very yappy dog. Everything he hears is something to be suspicious of, and therefore bark at. He does great despite his disability though. He often runs into things, especially if something gets moved. But as much as he is afraid of strangers, he is the most loving and sweet dog at home with us. At home he feels safe and trusts us and his true personality comes out. He is sweet, goofy, and the most playful of my dogs. I couldn't love him more.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I love chihuahua's. They are my favorite breed. That being said, they often can live up to their reputation. Mostly it is because as a breed they are naturally cautious/suspicious of strangers. Because of this, they must be socialized a whole lot as puppies. That rarely happens as it should, and then you end up with the behavior problems people think of. They are suspicious of strangers, but once they bond to you (their family) I've never known a sweeter or more loyal breed. I adore them. But I admit they are not for everyone. I do not believe they should live with small children. They also don't appreciate living in a hectic or busy household. Those environments can make them anxious and the more anxious they are the more they display the negative behavior traits. So for a true chihuahua lover, who really knows and understands the breed, they can make the best pet/friend. Please remember though, aggressive behavior almost always is the result of fear.

What she said^ We have three. They are great with their owners but I totally understand other people that don't care for them.