Please need help with pyxis eggs

Aeva

Location (City and/or State)
Madagascar
Hello ! Yesterday I was making some changes in my enclosure. So when I was plowing, I accidentally broke an egg. I didn't even know my tortoises were old enough to procreate. There is at least one more egg in the nest but I'm too afraid to look more. I just added more sand in the nest zone, but I wonder if I have to do more. The egg I broke was smelling awful. I just had these tortoises for 2 years, they leave outside in their enclosure. So please, if someone could tell me what I have to do with the eggs, ...or egg, I don't know how many they are. Do I have to take them inside and take care of them in a specific way ? I really don't know what to do...

Attachments

• tort.jpg
    tort.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 55

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know anything about this species, but if the egg smelled bad, it was rotten and had been buried for quite a long time. @tortadise @Will

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure sand should be used. Most tortoises, sand is not recommended. It can cause impaction.
Hopefully @tortadise can help with the egg situation and how to properly set up an enclosure for your torts.
Please post more pictures of the enclosure and any details of the husbandry so you can get all the correct info.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
If you are in the native part of Madagascar where these tortoises come from then I would suggest letting natural incubation proceed. Artificial incubation for Pyxis tortoises is not a simple matter.

@zovick might be a best resource, he wrote the protocol that most people follow.

zovick

10 Year Member!
If you are in the native part of Madagascar where these tortoises come from then I would suggest letting natural incubation proceed. Artificial incubation for Pyxis tortoises is not a simple matter.

@zovick might be a best resource, he wrote the protocol that most people follow.

I agree with Will's statement above, in that the eggs should simply hatch naturally in much of Madagascar, but you didn't say where you are located nor which species of Pyxis you are keeping. Is it planicauda or one of the arachnoides subspecies?

Either way, if you will post your email here or send it to me in a conversation thread, I will email you an article which I wrote on incubation of Pyxis eggs.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep, can't argue with nature within its limits. I must follow the similar questions of Bill though. Malagasy species of Pyxis are from quite different areas that are varying. So if your inquiring about planicauda but within oblonga range. Might take some additional steps. But in ground should prove quite successful.

Aeva

Madagascar
I agree with Will's statement above, in that the eggs should simply hatch naturally in much of Madagascar, but you didn't say where you are located nor which species of Pyxis you are keeping. Is it planicauda or one of the arachnoides subspecies?

Either way, if you will post your email here or send it to me in a conversation thread, I will email you an article which I wrote on incubation of Pyxis eggs.

Thanks for all your replies. I don't know which species of pyxis I have. Let me know please, by looking at the pictures below. I just know they come from south of the island, where there is a very dry weather. I'm in Antananarivo, where it's less hot, but fairly sunny. I can tell they love rain, because they are always very happy to hang around when it's raining. There is no much vegetation in the enclosure, almost soil, where the eggs are located. So I think I'll juste leave them where they are and wait... @zovick , my e-mail is [email protected], I will be very pleased to receive the article you wrote.WP_20170817_12_26_26_Pro.jpg WP_20170817_12_26_57_Pro.jpg WP_20170817_13_25_07_Pro.jpg WP_20170817_12_26_57_Pro.jpg