Please post photos of your indoor enclosure!

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
So evidently I need to revamp my baby leopard's indoor enclosure which I will be working on over the next few days. I trust what I see and read on this forum over the place I got him 100%... which is why I am changing it. Ugh, it makes me so mad that I put any time and effort in to an enclosure (before I even brought the tort home) and was completely WRONG, like I'm raising a damn guinea pig or something. So anyway, I don't want to google for images, I want to see yours. I'm using a large rubbermaid bin. I still have the lid that came with it, uncut and untouched.

Here is my current set-up (my BEFORE photos) yes I know, it's bad. The after photos to follow within the next few days. Please put your enclosure pics here, it'll help me out a bunch :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505480957.796508.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505480957.796508.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 145
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505650733.318631.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505650733.318631.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 140
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505650751.249201.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505650751.249201.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 139

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
So this was my indoor enclosure. They are outdoors now. It's a 55 gallon rubbermaid container. The UVB strip light is under the plexiglass and the CHE on the right surrounded by tin foil to keep in heat and humidity. I got the plexiglass cut at Lowes to fit the top.

Attachments

• 1505662564152.jpg
    1505662564152.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 138

Jenni

Tortoise Club
So this was my indoor enclosure. They are outdoors now. It's a 55 gallon rubbermaid container. The UVB strip light is under the plexiglass and the CHE on the right surrounded by tin foil to keep in heat and humidity. I got the plexiglass cut at Lowes to fit the top.

How do you have the CHE supported? Over the plexiglass? So did Lowe's cut out the hole for you? Did they charge for that?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't keep leopards, but I do use Rubbermaid bins. I put a 24 inch screen top on one end for the heat lamp and cover with heavy foil. The rest I cover with a clear shower curtain. UVB is inside tub. I'll post a photo in a bit. Right now there's a chihuahua in my lap!

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
How do you have the CHE supported? Over the plexiglass? So did Lowe's cut out the hole for you? Did they charge for that?

The CHE is sitting on a wire rack surrounded by tin foil. The Plexiglass only covers to where the wire rack starts. There is no hole in the plexiglass.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, here are the photos I promised. Again, cover is a heavy clear shower curtain.
20170917_122631.jpg 20170917_122631.jpg 20170917_122724.jpg 20170917_122730.jpg 20170917_122654.jpg

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Okay... made some progress (I think??) The first 2 photos are the "before". The rest are what I was able to get done today. I still need to make the cover, ordered some more supplies on Amazon so I should have another update in a couple days.

Feedback on what's going on so far is appreciated. I won't be offended Just trying to do what's best for Peanut.

P.S. How in the WORLD do you keep the water clean?? I feel like I'm changing it 3 times a day
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505691860.678542.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505691871.577440.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505691888.078015.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505691914.578527.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505691934.418625.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505691959.355546.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505691979.644755.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505691995.593407.jpg

Jenni

Tortoise Club
@Tom

In the process of working on the lid/cover. Does this seem okay so far? I know I need to make some changes in his little box, to keep it dark. Last night he covered himself in moss and slept in the pot. I've noticed he's much more active in this enclosure. Exploring and climbing, trying to taste everything lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This one is kind of plain and I built them more than 20 years ago for lizards. That is why you can see a shelf in the background:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

Here is a more recent build. Ignore the text and just scroll down to the pics. This experiment didn't work very well, so don't set up your heating and lighting this way:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/

Here then is what we all strive for. An example of how it should be done:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/our-new-closed-chamber-for-our-new-group-of-tortoises.138430/

Jenni

Tortoise Club
This one is kind of plain and I built them more than 20 years ago for lizards. That is why you can see a shelf in the background:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

Here is a more recent build. Ignore the text and just scroll down to the pics. This experiment didn't work very well, so don't set up your heating and lighting this way:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/

Here then is what we all strive for. An example of how it should be done:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/our-new-closed-chamber-for-our-new-group-of-tortoises.138430/

I'm not gonna lie... haven't clicked on these links yet, I'm going to do that now. It's just that coincidentally my video I recorded 10 minutes ago is now uploaded so I can share what's happening right now....

So here's my video and in the meantime let me check out what you just provided

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
P.S. How in the WORLD do you keep the water clean?? I feel like I'm changing it 3 times a day
View attachment 218551
Looks like good progress so far. In the seventh picture,(?) it looks like you are using a dial gauge for temperature or humidity. Is this correct? I know it's not your question, but I see things I feel must be addressed. A digital reader is much more accurate. They are inexpensive, and a pet store won't tell about them.
Also, more weeds and less store bought greens for peanut for healthy growth. Again I'm sorry if all of this has been gone over with you already. I don't use Rubbermaid containers for my young, I've got a box I built. Oh! One more thing. If your UV light is sitting on the screen, this will greatly reduce the amount of wavelength that Peanut will get. Anyway here's a couple pictures of mine. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505795727.037610.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505795745.033744.jpg

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Looks like good progress so far. In the seventh picture,(?) it looks like you are using a dial gauge for temperature or humidity. Is this correct? I know it's not your question, but I see things I feel must be addressed. A digital reader is much more accurate. They are inexpensive, and a pet store won't tell about them.
Also, more weeds and less store bought greens for peanut for healthy growth. Again I'm sorry if all of this has been gone over with you already. I don't use Rubbermaid containers for my young, I've got a box I built. Oh! One more thing. If your UV light is sitting on the screen, this will greatly reduce the amount of wavelength that Peanut will get. Anyway here's a couple pictures of mine. View attachment 218659View attachment 218660

Yes, I did order a digital reader a couple days ago.

Eventually I will have something built, right now I'm just trying to work with this space if possible. We only planned on having one tortoise so it won't be something I'll be reusing for additional babies...

Fall and winter are coming and so in the spring we will work on a new indoor and outdoor enclosure. This week it's the mid 80's to 90 degrees and humid and by the end of next week we have highs of 60...

I am having a REALLY hard time finding weeds! I did call the local forest preserves and they told me they do not spray chemicals or use pesticides or herbicides. Problem is, I don't have the slightest clue on what is what???

I am ordering seeds but now I'm trying to find out what will be easiest to grow indoors...

The UV lamp isn't going through the screen but the heat lamp is.

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
I apologize in advance I don't know why my pictures are not being displayed in proper orientation.

This has been my project for past week building a high and warm humid enclosure. I used a 4x4' flood tray that can be purchased at indoor hydroponic stores as the base supported by wood frame to hold the weight. I used the studs in the wall to bear weight for the interior edges and raised the entire platform so its easier to view and climb in and out. There is a drain plug at one end of the flood tray where excessive water will drain into a bucket if I happen to add too much water to the media.
20170906_215644.jpg

On top of the base frame, I framed in a 6 feet long x 2 feet high window on the long side and 4x2 window on the short side. The open space between the window is for a flat clean area where I can put the water trays and food as well as some equipment.

20170910_145143.jpg

Then I added walls, roof, flat table, and reflector mylar on the walls as vapour barriers. Covered the wood frame with aesthetic plywood. Added bark, lights, plants, humidifier and heat control on Zoomed Hydroterm, and here is the final product. I've since added a sprinkler system on a solenoid that will wet the media 2-3 times per day to create monsoon rains and maintain humidity.

finished all.jpg close1.jpg close2.jpg

Now i'm just waiting for my torts to arrive. All ready to be lived in.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
I apologize in advance I don't know why my pictures are not being displayed in proper orientation.

This has been my project for past week building a high and warm humid enclosure. I used a 4x4' flood tray that can be purchased at indoor hydroponic stores as the base supported by wood frame to hold the weight. I used the studs in the wall to bear weight for the interior edges and raised the entire platform so its easier to view and climb in and out. There is a drain plug at one end of the flood tray where excessive water will drain into a bucket if I happen to add too much water to the media.
View attachment 218711

On top of the base frame, I framed in a 6 feet long x 2 feet high window on the long side and 4x2 window on the short side. The open space between the window is for a flat clean area where I can put the water trays and food as well as some equipment.

View attachment 218712

Then I added walls, roof, flat table, and reflector mylar on the walls as vapour barriers. Covered the wood frame with aesthetic plywood. Added bark, lights, plants, humidifier and heat control on Zoomed Hydroterm, and here is the final product. I've since added a sprinkler system on a solenoid that will wet the media 2-3 times per day to create monsoon rains and maintain humidity.

View attachment 218663 View attachment 218664 View attachment 218665

Now i'm just waiting for my torts to arrive. All ready to be lived in.

Wow, this looks pretty impressive! Barbie looks ready too! LOL

What type of plants do you have in there?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Greetings chin_lee,
I live in Salem, Oregon and you are welcome to come visit me for a building party anytime convenient for you! As Jenni points out this is more a type of display furniture not just an indoor enclosure. Barbie does look very content to be the job boss as well.
What type of tortoise are you building this for? I'm very impressed with this build. You have helped to stimulate another indoor building project for me. Is the footprint of this enclosure 4'x6'?
Relax about the orientation of your photos. I'm using the iPhone app for the Forum and your photos look perfect. Maybe different for a computer though, I don't know.
Cowboy Ken

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Problem is, I don't have the slightest clue on what is what???
If there is a university or community college near you, you might look into a naturalist that would be willing to take you out on a short field trip for plant identification purposes. Maybe offer a small fee that you could pay. Also, you could try a large garden center or your local extension service for the same type of thing. Yes fall is arriving, but maybe you could join a garden group just to learn the weeds. What gardeners hate, our tortoises typically love. Just try to take a friend along with you on any one on one trips to the woods. There are creeps out there that might try to take advantage. And take pictures of the weeds so you've got them.