PLEASE READ; Tortoise is unwell, still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamdericco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, USA
For those who haven't read any of my posts, we bought a Greek tort from Petsmart a few weeks ago.

He initially seemed to be doing okay, and then last Wednesday his left eye was shut. The next day he quit eating. I called my local vet in the meantime to schedule an appointment. I had to wait till Friday for their "reptile doctor".

Well, the reptile doctor was not really a reptile doctor, just a vet with some experience with box turtles.... So she looked at the tort and prescribed a medicated ointment.

Today it has been a WEEK since the tort ate. I even offered junky iceburg lettuce, and he seemed interested at first but then refused the food.

Yesterday and today he was breathing through his mouth with mucus and also peeing at the same time (and would put his penis out of the tail when I picked him up to examine his nares)....

The nares have been clear and there's no noise associated with the open mouth breathing. He hasn't stooled since last Friday so the one vet couldn't test for parasites today.

I have an appointment with another vet (who is an experienced tort owner) tomorrow, and she wants to swab the eyes and do an xray if she suspects parasites.

I feel like it might be a RI though?

Anyway, what are his chances? I've been doing carrot soaks, and I'm going to leave his lamp on tonight to keep him warm. We already love him, but I'm worried about finances. We've spent $350 so far, and who knows how much the vet will be tomorrow!

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond, I really appreciate it.

- Allie

Btw, I guess the xray is to see if the tortoise is constipated?

And I hate to talk about money and pets together, because I don't want you to think that we view pets as an object... but my fiancé and I are still in college so we are on a budget... I'm sure a lot of you know what that's like.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wonder if he has an impaction. It's so hard to say what his chances are. I have been on here for about two years. Have seen some that you wouldn't think had a good chance, make it, and those that you thought did have a good chance, didn't. You already have the appointment made. See what an actual tort knowledgable vet says and decide from there. Would try to have the vet do one thing at a time. The vets around me like to dog all these test all at once. Just to find out, that the first test showed the problem. I would have the X-ray first. If there is nothing there, then have them do the next text she mentioned. This way, if the X-ray shows and impaction, then you don't have to waist your money on any further test. In the mean time, you might want to try giving him his warm soak in a large container or the bath tub. Let him walk all over the place and squirm trying to get out. If he does have an impaction, this warm soak, with all the moving, might help get things to pass through. Good luck, I hope all turns out good for you and your tort.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Nothing wrong with the fact you have a budget, i dont know anyone who doesnt have budgetary concerns. Some this are just frankly cost prohibitive. Seems as though youre doing right. I would surely go to pet smart, with receipts and talk to the manager, i bet u they do at least something for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

morloch

5 Year Member
Petsmart will pay the vet bill, contact the head office

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
For some reason, your tort is not absorbing enough water which may be causing constipation/compaction. See if he'll eat watermelon. It is loaded with water and he's more likely to eat this fruit. I would continue the soaks daily and for a longer period of time. Try using your bathtub. Torts tend to want to get out and will move around more. This is be necessary in order to get things moving inside him. Make sure he stays warm in the tub by adding warm water and draining cooler water. When you see the vet, make sure they do the x-rays. That should tell you a lot. Unfortunately, the bulk of your vet bill will be the x-rays. Buy, once done, you'll know what's wrong or what's not. Please keep us posted.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
morloch said:
Petsmart will pay the vet bill, contact the head office

PetSmart is only obligated to reimburse you within the 14 day guarantee and usually request you use their vet. Your best bet isn't to go directly to corporate, but to talk with the store you purchased it from and see if they can help you out. If you have taken it to the vet within your first two weeks, have the invoices to show them. Explain to pet care or store manager that you bought this animal and within the 14 day period you took it to your own vet because it was sick, and has since regressed. You could even explain that due to being wild caught, they have high probability of parasites. Also, check out how they have their in stow tortoises housed. Point out anything that may be incorrect without being rude, and explain that with the improper care you believe you purchased it already sick. Tortoises hide illness well like all reptiles. If you approach the store and be calm, polite, and patient...they should be more than willing to help you out. If for some reason the management in the store do not resolve the issue, that is when you will want to bring to the attention or that stores district manager.

Also, if you start out with " I have been a loyal customer at this store for years and this is the first time I've had any issue..." They will be more inclined to make you happy and keep your business.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

And tbh don't expect PM to pay your X-ray bill...exams, meds, deworming, etc...yes...but I could only see them every paying an X-ray bill is if you use their vet and that's what they recommend.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

aamdericco

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania, USA
ascott said:
she likes to eat clover from our yard.

Do you use any fertilizer, pesticide, herbicide on the grazing area....

No, we don't use any fertilizer or chemicals. It's just what grows there naturally, and he would really dig in before this happened.

So if the X-ray shows that he is in fact bound up, how is that treatable? Do you think they will extract something or use a laxative?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
There are some tough lessons out there and you getting them all at once:
1. Tortoise care is expensive. If you are not prepared for it, don't get started.
2. Petsmart may not be the best place to purchase a tortoise since the history of the animal is unknown.
3. You will be misinformed about care of the chosen species selected almost always.
4. Best advice is to return the animal for a refund. Do your home work and get a tortoise from someone who has been breeding for a while with healthy animals.
5. I've lost count of the same posts you just described.
6. Fauna and Kingsnake have plenty of excellent breeders with excellent reputations. Do your due diligence before your next purchase. You are the one on a budget remember.

aamdericco

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania, USA
UPDATE::

I called Petsmart and was very polite with them. I explained the entire situation, and the manager was very understanding. He said that he could not provide me with a cash refund because of the time lapse on the warranty, but he said he would exchange Misha for a healthy tort, and see that Misha sees a reptile vet soon.

At first I was not sure if I could trust that Misha would actually see a vet because I have a little mistrust after hearing some horror stories. After some thinking, I decided I may as well exchange torts because I will either a) spend a lot of money on Misha and he will be healthy. b) spend a lot of money on Misha and he will die, or c) bring home a healthy tort and see Misha gets healthy on Petsmart's dime.

But how do I know that Misha sees a real vet?? I told the manager that I would feel so much more comfortable if I could receive a copy of the vet report when Misha goes tomorrow. Even better, the manager said he will give me weekly updates on Misha, and I can adopt him again as long as he returns to full health.

So that's what I did. The store gave me a Russian, so I have to figure out how to make the enclosure a bit more humid now. He's much heavier than Misha and also much more active. He's burrowing and basking, and both eyes are very clear. I feel like he's doing what Misha should have been doing since day one. Plus, he's already had a healthy bowel movement.

I hope you don't think that I'm a horrible person for swapping torts. I cannot wait to hear the update on Misha, and he will be in my prayers until then.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think you made a smart move.
aamdericco said:
UPDATE::

I called Petsmart and was very polite with them. I explained the entire situation, and the manager was very understanding. He said that he could not provide me with a cash refund because of the time lapse on the warranty, but he said he would exchange Misha for a healthy tort, and see that Misha sees a reptile vet soon.

At first I was not sure if I could trust that Misha would actually see a vet because I have a little mistrust after hearing some horror stories. After some thinking, I decided I may as well exchange torts because I will either a) spend a lot of money on Misha and he will be healthy. b) spend a lot of money on Misha and he will die, or c) bring home a healthy tort and see Misha gets healthy on Petsmart's dime.

But how do I know that Misha sees a real vet?? I told the manager that I would feel so much more comfortable if I could receive a copy of the vet report when Misha goes tomorrow. Even better, the manager said he will give me weekly updates on Misha, and I can adopt him again as long as he returns to full health.

So that's what I did. The store gave me a Russian, so I have to figure out how to make the enclosure a bit more humid now. He's much heavier than Misha and also much more active. He's burrowing and basking, and both eyes are very clear. I feel like he's doing what Misha should have been doing since day one. Plus, he's already had a healthy bowel movement.

I hope you don't think that I'm a horrible person for swapping torts. I cannot wait to hear the update on Misha, and he will be in my prayers until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.