Please sex my two tortoises

Salspi

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
im having trouble telling which sex i have. How can you guys tell? I have 2 egyptians. They will be 3years old in April. They both have big tails. I was told it was too early to know even tho they both have big tails. I need some hel[p because i am trying to get eggs!

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
im having trouble telling which sex i have. How can you guys tell? I have 2 egyptians. They will be 3years old in April. They both have big tails. I was told it was too early to know even tho they both have big tails. I need some hel[p because i am trying to get eggs!
any pictures?
probably too young still

Salspi

Chicago
I will put some pics up as soon as i can. Almost 3 years old is still too young? They both have big tails. Can anyone explain what to look for?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I will put some pics up as soon as i can. Almost 3 years old is still too young? They both have big tails. Can anyone explain what to look for?

If they are big long tails then they are males. There are a few females that have longer tails then normal but it isn’t thick like a males.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No doubt huh? That’s what I was hoping wasn’t the case.
We have all been there and felt your disappointment. Soon your boys will probably start fighting if they are kept together. Now the really fun part starts while you try to find a few sub-adult/adult females to round out your group.

Salspi

Chicago
Thanks for the kind words. What’s the fun part? Searching for females? Not sure how difficult that will be but I imagine it isn’t a fun experience unless you know who you are dealing with.

Last edited:

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the kind words. What’s the fun part? Searching for females?
Yes, you will find yourself traveling and meeting lots of people; you may even end up paying good money just to rescue a female tortoise. At times it may feel like you are never going to be able to find them, but eventually you will have your own little creep and eggs galore with little hatchlings everywhere. Just remember to have fun.

Kwakin

California
the reason all male is bc only males have long tails, the female hav short, stubby, and big tails to lay eggs.