Please Tell me if this idea for an indoor Enclosure will work?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
Hi Dan, @Sterant

Have you finished planting etc in your enclosure? I would love to see a pic of the finished result?
Hey Carol. Yes - its all planted. I will take some pictures this morning and post them. Thanks for asking!

Dan

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thanks. I love looking at the different encloures people have, especially if they built them themselves. And want to see your finished one. LOL. Sorry can't help myself.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
IMG_2314.JPG IMG_2315.JPG IMG_2316.JPG IMG_2317.JPG IMG_2318.JPG
This enclosure is 4 X 8 and 36" tall. Herpstat temperature controller running 2 100w CHE's as heat. 125w basking light, and UV is provided by T5 HO 4 foot fluorescent tubes (ZooMed 10.0). The fluorescent fixtures hold 8 bulbs - I use 2 UVB and 6 6500k grow bulbs. This provides UVI readings with a Solarmeter 6.5 of 6.0 at the carapace.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
View attachment 226579 View attachment 226580 View attachment 226581 View attachment 226582 View attachment 226583
This enclosure is 4 X 8 and 36" tall. Herpstat temperature controller running 2 100w CHE's as heat. 125w basking light, and UV is provided by T5 HO 4 foot fluorescent tubes (ZooMed 10.0). The fluorescent fixtures hold 8 bulbs - I use 2 UVB and 6 6500k grow bulbs. This provides UVI readings with a Solarmeter 6.5 of 6.0 at the carapace.
Oh it is beautiful. They are going to like that.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
It looks quite bright. I noticed the cacti and aloe. I have two cacti like your ones in my garden which I planted for mine but they have not touched them.
I must find some aloe as well. I am hoping that they will eat them at some point.

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Great stuff Dan!! My Angulates love sweet potato leaves, and it grows like a weed during the summer here in Arizona .

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
So i can feed sweet potato leaves as well. Good to know.
I was also told by am long time Angulata breeder here in the us that chinese elm leaves are cherished, I have 3 elm trees and I will be definetely trying this ones the leaves are back in the spring.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I was also told by am long time Angulata breeder here in the us that chinese elm leaves are cherished, I have 3 elm trees and I will be definetely trying this ones the leaves are back in the spring.
Hmmm. I will have to see if I can find chinese elm here in the SA. Thank you for the tip.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hi Guys
Ok. I cannot build the enclosure that I wanted to. I had a back fusion op in March 2016 but it has never come right and I still have alot of pain with my sciatic nerve etc. So my husband says I cannot build the enclosure myself as I will just hurt myself. So I asked somebody to quote me to build it for me. The problem is I am working on a budget of R4000. Which is about $333. However he quoted me around R11 000. $916. Which is way over my budget. So I have been trying to see if I could find a second hand reptile enclosure. They are all too small. Eventually found a place who sells glass enclosures. They tried to convince me that I should buy a small enclosure for a hatchling. Anyway they have one which is 1.2 m L x 60 W x 70 H. Would this work instead and be good enough? I would have to block the bottom half so that baby cannot see herself in the glass. You cannot really see the size nicely in the pic. Also on another note they had this in the shop which I thought was quite cool. Thought I would share with you. 20180113_165401.jpg20180113_165347.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hi Guys
Ok. I cannot build the enclosure that I wanted to. I had a back fusion op in March 2016 but it has never come right and I still have alot of pain with my sciatic nerve etc. So my husband says I cannot build the enclosure myself as I will just hurt myself. So I asked somebody to quote me to build it for me. The problem is I am working on a budget of R4000. Which is about $333. However he quoted me around R11 000. $916. Which is way over my budget. So I have been trying to see if I could find a second hand reptile enclosure. They are all too small. Eventually found a place who sells glass enclosures. They tried to convince me that I should buy a small enclosure for a hatchling. Anyway they have one which is 1.2 m L x 60 W x 70 H. Would this work instead and be good enough? I would have to block the bottom half so that baby cannot see herself in the glass. You cannot really see the size nicely in the pic. Also on another note they had this in the shop which I thought was quite cool. Thought I would share with you. View attachment 227564View attachment 227565
Iguanas are neat to look at, but I would never own one again!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Carol...based on your original design, I am assuming that this will be an open top design since you live in the natural range. Aquariums like the one you just showed can work, but it’s very deep and will be a little inconvenient to work in. Why not just get a piece of plywood, maybe 2 feet by 4 feet, and put 12” wooden sides on it? Real simple, very inexpensive, and works great. I wish you lived close....I would make you one in a morning. You can set it on my hatever you were gonext me to set the aquarium on and I would imagine it would be much less money than the aquarium.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
That was supposed to say “ you can set it on whatever you would have set the aquarium on”

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hi Guys
Ok. I cannot build the enclosure that I wanted to. I had a back fusion op in March 2016 but it has never come right and I still have alot of pain with my sciatic nerve etc. So my husband says I cannot build the enclosure myself as I will just hurt myself. So I asked somebody to quote me to build it for me. The problem is I am working on a budget of R4000. Which is about $333. However he quoted me around R11 000. $916. Which is way over my budget. So I have been trying to see if I could find a second hand reptile enclosure. They are all too small. Eventually found a place who sells glass enclosures. They tried to convince me that I should buy a small enclosure for a hatchling. Anyway they have one which is 1.2 m L x 60 W x 70 H. Would this work instead and be good enough? I would have to block the bottom half so that baby cannot see herself in the glass. You cannot really see the size nicely in the pic. Also on another note they had this in the shop which I thought was quite cool. Thought I would share with you. View attachment 227564View attachment 227565
Maybe you can go to a cheap furniture store or second hand store and buy a deep bookcase, chest of drawers, or armoire. Remove all the shelves and drawers, lay it on its side, and you have your enclosure. Line it with a shower curtain, add substrate, etc.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Carol...based on your original design, I am assuming that this will be an open top design since you live in the natural range. Aquariums like the one you just showed can work, but it’s very deep and will be a little inconvenient to work in. Why not just get a piece of plywood, maybe 2 feet by 4 feet, and put 12” wooden sides on it? Real simple, very inexpensive, and works great. I wish you lived close....I would make you one in a morning. You can set it on my hatever you were gonext me to set the aquarium on and I would imagine it would be much less money than the aquarium.
The glass enclosure has the sliding doors in front. So it won't be an open top design. I have been looking for a while for something without the open top. It comes With a glass top with mesh strip down the middle on the top. I have two domes. One would have a 5000k -6500k daylight light and the other a 150w che with a thermomoter to control the heat.1515916350679.jpg1515916390157.jpg1515916439865.jpg

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
The glass enclosure has the sliding doors in front. So it won't be an open top design. I have been looking for a while for something without the open top. It comes With a glass top with mesh strip down the middle on the top. I have two domes. One would have a 5000k -6500k daylight light and the other a 150w che with a thermomoter to control the heat.View attachment 227595View attachment 227596View attachment 227597
The doors will really help. Looks like a workable and quick solution. Send pics when you get it all setup.