Please tell me Rupert is okay!?

Russian_Rupert

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new to the tortoise scene but I'm loving being a tortoise mummy.

When I bought Rupert, I was told he was born in the back end of 2016 early 2017 which would make him at least a year old.

He sleeps ALOT and he really doesn't eat all that much, maybe a few bits of leaves.

Also when I've looked at pictures of other tortoises, they have smooth shells, but Ruperts has tiny little bumps on the very top of the black bits. I'll upload a picture of Rupert.

Please could I have some advise or am I just overreacting?

Thank you lovely people

received_10215933665842846.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rupert seems very small for a yearling. I wouldn't worry about that shell. Most babies have slightly rough-looking (as opposed to real smooth) shells right out of the egg. I'm thinking he's quite a bit younger than you were told. He shows no growth between the scutes, and at a year there should have been some growth.

We have a pretty nice care sheet for baby Russian tortoises pinned at the top of our Russian section. Be sure to read that and make adjustments to your care of Rupert, and to his enclosure as needed.

Is the picture showing Rupert in his enclosure? If so, I would get rid of the towel and replace it with a substrate you can moisten slightly. Also, those reptile dishes really weren't made with baby tortoises in mind. Because they live in a hard shell that doesn't bend, it's hard for baby tortoises to go up, over, then down into the bowl without tipping over and maybe drowning. We like to use a plant saucer that is sunk down into the substrate so the lip is even with the ground. That way the baby only has to reach his neck in to drink. Plus, if he wants to go in the saucer, the sides slope, making it easier to climb out.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I agree with all the above. A pic of the enclosure and your temps, day, night and basking will help us to help you better.

vvildflower

Texas
I'm not sure what the temperature is where you live, but the same thing happened to my tort this winter. even though I kept her inside with a UV/heat lamp, she sensed it was winter. she slept almost all day everyday, and rarely ate. I was really worried about her too and almost took her to the vet, until it warmed up one day and she was happily roaming around and munched down the whole salad that I made for her!
of course, if it isn't cold outside and you're giving the tortoise all of the warmth and UV light that he needs, there may be something else going on with him.
he's absolutely adorable, and I hope you figure out what's going on[emoji4]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Best links have already been posted lol. Try Collard greens, never saw a Russian that doesn't love them. He may eat a bit more. I agree with Yvonne, you may have been lied to about the age, no way that tort is a year old. If they had fed something with hardly any nutrients like iceberg lettuce, it MAY have caused very slow growth but in my opinion he wouldn't have lived. Follow those care links and I bet he begins flourishing and growing.

Very cool coloring on him btw, very vibrant.