Please watch this video and help if you can!!!

Carlos-NL

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hi all,

I have 3 red foot tortoises, one of them (his name is Tess) does this strange sound many times per day (day and night). Maybe he does this sound like 50+ times per day.
He eats good, walks around casually when searching for food, he doesn't have nose bubbles or inflammations anywhere in his head, no tears also, but he does this very strange sound.

Please any help is appreciated because obviously this is not normal, but I have not idea what's wrong with him. Share your idea's an experience if you can!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi all,

I have 3 red foot tortoises, one of them (his name is Tess) does this strange sound many times per day (day and night). Maybe he does this sound like 50+ times per day.
He eats good, walks around casually when searching for food, he doesn't have nose bubbles or inflammations anywhere in his head, no tears also, but he does this very strange sound.

Please any help is appreciated because obviously this is not normal, but I have not idea what's wrong with him. Share your idea's an experience if you can!

Thanks a lot in advance!
I don't see a video? Does the sound kind of sounds like a chicken clucking?

Relic

Here
It's a clicking sound that seems to match the closing of his jaws. I had an old aunt that used to click her false teeth just like that...

Probably nothing to worry about.

Carlos-NL

Netherlands
It's a clicking sound that seems to match the closing of his jaws. I had an old aunt that used to click her false teeth just like that...

Indeed I hear this whenever he opens and closes his mouth (though not if he's eating). Is it something bad I need to see a vet for? will it be gone when he's older?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

i have a sister that does that with her teeth and they are NOT false! ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Indeed I hear this whenever he opens and closes his mouth (though not if he's eating). Is it something bad I need to see a vet for? will it be gone when he's older?

hi!
just wanted to add my two cents....

1)- maybe he is trying to sing in his bath!?
and your gittin’ in the way so he stops? ?
OR
2)- I’m going out on a limb here… Maybe it’s a small beginning to either an overbite or an overgrown beak. But he could whittle that down on a cuttlebone. And be fine. Not sure I’m no expert but I don’t think you need to rush to have it anytime soon. Like I said I’m not a professional.
Good luck and keep us posted.
And MORE videos!!!!!
So we can catch this in the beginning and fix it sooner than later!!
???❤️?

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
My baby sulcata Kiwi will make occasional noises that sound like little chirps, especially when she eats. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but if you notice anything really odd or something that makes you worry you can get it checked out at the vet.

Carlos-NL

Netherlands
hi!
just wanted to add my two cents....

1)- maybe he is trying to sing in his bath!?
and your gittin’ in the way so he stops? ?
OR
2)- I’m going out on a limb here… Maybe it’s a small beginning to either an overbite or an overgrown beak. But he could whittle that down on a cuttlebone. And be fine. Not sure I’m no expert but I don’t think you need to rush to have it anytime soon. Like I said I’m not a professional.
Good luck and keep us posted.
And MORE videos!!!!!
So we can catch this in the beginning and fix it sooner than later!!
???❤?
Thanks :) It seem he likes to thing all the time though not just during the bath ? But I cannot imagine it's because of an overgrown beak, he's just 3 month old.

Quixx66

Louisiana
My Hermann’s sometimes does this sound in his bath too. He’s only seven months old so I’m new at this and I don’t know if this is normal.

kaycov

5 Year Member
Lexington
I have two redfoots - one used to do that exact same thing in the bath, although if she did it in the pen, I wouldn't hear it. Never amounted to anything worrisome, and she no longer does it.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
My 6 year old 12 pound female redfoot has always chirped. She does it when she is happy such as soaking in a warm bath or going outside to get some sun and walk around the backyard. She also makes sniffing sounds to see who is approaching her habitat. She has a nose as good as a dog and I used to raise bird hunting dogs.

jUMPSu1t

Los Angeles
My 6 year old 12 pound female redfoot has always chirped. She does it when she is happy such as soaking in a warm bath or going outside to get some sun and walk around the backyard. She also makes sniffing sounds to see who is approaching her habitat. She has a nose as good as a dog and I used to raise bird hunting dogs.
My tortoises make noises as well, but since they're Russians, they're quieter than redcoats. They do make one type of sound, which is a quick little exhale through their noses when they're scared. I've learned that this if the result of their lungs not being able to expand as much when the tortoises quickly pop inside their shells, so they need to let go of a little air to fit in. Hope this helps anyone wondering about the same thing!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Hi all,

Thanks a lot in advance!

What sound?