Please will an experienced Sulcata Owner give me advice.

Mikki

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill, Fl
SORRY SO LONG!! I wanted you to know alot about her so someone can help me..
My Scooter girl is 4 months old. I live in Florida and Scooter has an outdoor above ground enclosure and an inside enclosure. Normally Scooter Girl is out side from 10:00Am until 5:00OPm. Then after dinner feeding and a bath Scooter will go straight to bed in the inside enclosure. Its been raining the last two days so this is the first time Scooter has to be inside all day. Normally when it rains during the summer it is only 30 minutes tops soi bring her in and take her back out when it stops but last two days its raining & windy.. Scooter isn't happy, she isn't get normal self, not eating good at all and has loose watery stools now. Normally when i soak Scooter every day after 10 minutes she's had enough and tries climbing out & paces. Today Scooter laid in that water and i changed it 4 times because it was cooling off. Scooter laid there for 50 minutes and i still don't think she wanted out. I am really concerned about her because nothing she's doing is her normal behavior. She's been laying under the basking light for a long time. Scooter weighs 140 grams, is normally crazy active. Yes the outside enclosure is way bigger then the inside. I hover over Scooter twice a day while she runs the property. I say run because she really just goes all out. Also for the last 2 weeks Scooter doesn't want her hide in the inside enclosure. She wants to sleep in the hay. So i made a little hut hide out of hay for her and she sleeps in it every night. The humidity is at 75 and temp is 80-95. At night all lights go out and she's at room temp but never under 75 in her enclosure.. Now here's my question. I have towels on top of the screen to keep humidity in. I am going to get Plexiglas and have holes cut for the lights this week. Now that she's been inside for two days I'm misting the enclosure every few hours to keep humidity it up. I have a ceramic emitter heater and never used it. Should i put that bulb in for basking and if i put it on the screen will it give enough heat downward on the basking rock? Can i use the canister the lighting heat bulb is in or the wire canister that i have? My thought is if i use the wire one will that really give off enough heat for her if i have it on the screen? I think the heating bulb that gives off light is drying up the humidity and that's why i can't get it to stay up.. Should i give it a day or two to see if the diarrhea goes away because maybe it was something she has eaten to much of like cucumber, cactus, zucchini. Could the diarrhea be why she's not eating now? Please someone guide me. I've had her 3 months and i love her so much!! On 7-23'2020 Scooter was 68.4 now on. I feed Dandelions more often than any thing, romaine, green leaf lettuce, Mazuri LS and Mazuri big pellets, teff pellets, occasional grassland pellets, cactus, zucchini, cucumber, i pick grass and chop all the food together and mix the Mazuri in it most of the time or at least one of the feeding. Scooter eats twice a day. Scooter is just now eating grass so I'm trying every thing possible to get it in her. .Scooter LOVES wandering jew flowers. Hates Hibiscus flowers and leaves, grape leaves, mulberry leaves and i have access to all 3 but she hates them. If i sprinkle calcium with or without vitamin D she won't touch a single bite of her food but would eat a whole cuddle bone if i let her I break small pieces few times a week and give it to her
9-13-2020 She's 140 grams. I got Scooter on June 18 2020..

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Whew. Cucumber, cactus & zucchini will definitely induce diarrhea compared to grass, dandelion, grape leaves, n weeds. All three of those are very high in water content, thus the runny BMs.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Also, try to upload some pictures of your current enclosure showing your current lights, and the other heating/lights you might want to use. Pix always help. ?

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
My Scooter girl is 4 months old. I live in Florida and Scooter has an outdoor above ground enclosure and an inside enclosure. Normally Scooter Girl is out side from 10:00Am until 5:00OPm. Then after dinner feeding and a bath Scooter will go straight to bed in the inside enclosure. Its been raining the last two days so this is the first time Scooter has to be inside all day. Normally when it rains during the summer it is only 30 minutes tops soi bring her in and take her back out when it stops but last two days its raining & windy.. Scooter isn't happy, she isn't get normal self, not eating good at all and has loose watery stools now. Normally when i soak Scooter every day after 10 minutes she's had enough and tries climbing out & paces. Today Scooter laid in that water and i changed it 4 times because it was cooling off. Scooter laid there for 50 minutes and i still don't think she wanted out. I am really concerned about her because nothing she's doing is her normal behavior. She's been laying under the basking light for a long time. Scooter weighs 140 grams, is normally crazy active. Yes the outside enclosure is way bigger then the inside. I hover over Scooter twice a day while she runs the property. I say run because she really just goes all out. Also for the last 2 weeks Scooter doesn't want her hide in the inside enclosure. She wants to sleep in the hay. So i made a little hut hide out of hay for her and she sleeps in it every night. The humidity is at 75 and temp is 80-95. At night all lights go out and she's at room temp but never under 75 in her enclosure.. Now here's my question. I have towels on top of the screen to keep humidity in. I am going to get Plexiglas and have holes cut for the lights this week. Now that she's been inside for two days I'm misting the enclosure every few hours to keep humidity it up. I have a ceramic emitter heater and never used it. Should i put that bulb in for basking and if i put it on the screen will it give enough heat downward on the basking rock? Can i use the canister the lighting heat bulb is in or the wire canister that i have? My thought is if i use the wire one will that really give off enough heat for her if i have it on the screen? I think the heating bulb that gives off light is drying up the humidity and that's why i can't get it to stay up.. Should i give it a day or two to see if the diarrhea goes away because maybe it was something she has eaten to much of like cucumber, cactus, zucchini. Could the diarrhea be why she's not eating now? Please someone guide me. I've had her 3 months and i love her so much!! On 7-23'2020 Scooter was 68.4 now on. I feed Dandelions more often than any thing, romaine, green leaf lettuce, Mazuri LS and Mazuri big pellets, teff pellets, occasional grassland pellets, cactus, zucchini, cucumber, i pick grass and chop all the food together and mix the Mazuri in it most of the time or at least one of the feeding. Scooter eats twice a day. Scooter is just now eating grass so I'm trying every thing possible to get it in her. .Scooter LOVES wandering jew flowers. Hates Hibiscus flowers and leaves, grape leaves, mulberry leaves and i have access to all 3 but she hates them. If i sprinkle calcium with or without vitamin D she won't touch a single bite of her food but would eat a whole cuddle bone if i let her I break small pieces few times a week and give it to her
Well than that is what probably did it, because i did one of each day in a row. UGHHH.. Do you think that is why she is not eating? I am trying to figure out how to show photo's of the enclosures.. Do you think the emitter heating would be better to keep the humidity inside the enclosure & if so, will the heat radiate down far enough in the tank if I have it on the screen of the enclosure..

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
PLease try to enclose pictures so we can best assist you and your Sully! When replying their is an attach button in the lower left corner just below the text box. That will then give you access to you photos folder on your phone. For a computer just drag a photo over to the text box and drop it- it should load

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Also, try to upload some pictures of your current enclosure showing your current lights, and the other heating/lights you might want to use. Pix always help. ?
I would love to, but I can't figure out how.. I don't see where It shows to add photo's

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
PLease try to enclose pictures so we can best assist you and your Sully! When replying their is an attach button in the lower left corner just below the text box. That will then give you access to you photos folder on your phone. For a computer just drag a photo over to the text box and drop it- it should load
I would love to, but I can't figure out how.. I don't see a button to upload photo's.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
I am on my lap top, but I just put photo's on.. I hope you can see them.. I just put them on my introduction post i did the other day.
For some reason that introduction post had an attach button, for this thread I did this morning does not.
I was able to upload photo's on a post I did the other day.. I think it was my introduction post.. Can you look and see if you can see them.. Thank you

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
are you using a phone (what kind) or a computer (what kind)
I am using my lap top.. You responded to a post I did the other day this morning about being careful on the face book groups.. I was able to put photo's on that post you can review.. I have no idea why I can not see the attach button on this thread.. That is strange.. Ohhh I did this thread from my phone, and now I am on my lap top.. Maybe that is why

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
I am using my lap top.. You responded to a post I did the other day this morning about being careful on the face book groups.. I was able to put photo's on that post you can review.. I have no idea why I can not see the attach button on this thread.. That is strange.. Ohhh I did this thread from my phone, and now I am on my lap top.. Maybe that is why
NO, that isn't it.. I have an android phone.. I am getting pissed I can't figure this out..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spoiled. No reason to eat new foods, when you give plenty of the favorites. Use the favorites and mix in tiny amounts of the mulberry, grape or hibiscus leaves to get her eating it all. A hungry tortoises is not a picky tortoise. Don't let the tortoise train you to feed it only its favorites.

You need a large closed chamber. Lights outside and screen tops never work.

Babies should not be outside all day. Its not good for them. One hour of access to sunshine per inch of tortoise two or three times a week is all you need. Once they are 5-6 inches, then you can proceed with all day outside when the weather permits.

Give this a read through for more explanation on all of this:

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
For some reason that introduction post had an attach button, for this thread I did this morning does not.

I was able to upload photo's on a post I did the other day.. I think it was my introduction post.. Can you look and see if you can see them.. Thank you
Spoiled. No reason to eat new foods, when you give plenty of the favorites. Use the favorites and mix in tiny amounts of the mulberry, grape or hibiscus leaves to get her eating it all. A hungry tortoises is not a picky tortoise. Don't let the tortoise train you to feed it only its favorites.

You need a large closed chamber. Lights outside and screen tops never work.

Babies should not be outside all day. Its not good for them. One hour of access to sunshine per inch of tortoise two or three times a week is all you need. Once they are 5-6 inches, then you can proceed with all day outside when the weather permits.

Give this a read through for more explanation on all of this:
Thank you for responding. Even tho the above ground outdoor enclosure is in the shade under trees there is just the morning sun that hits it just right where she lays out enjoying it. I more was doing it because of the Florida Humidity. So do i need my UV light on inside? That's one thing my Vet said i didn't really need because she gets outside time but i really respect your opinion. You mentioned a closed chamber. If i got plexiglass and cut out the holes for the lights would that be considered ok for now? Yes her inside enclosure is an aquarium right now and i did cover the bottom, i will be getting a larger enclosure made, for right now is the Plexiglas ok to cover it? When you say enclosed chamber and no lights on the outside i need a photo to get an idea of what you're saying i need please. I do add grass and have chopped up hibiscus leaves & flowers and i swear one bite and she spits it out so fast and you can see her facial expression change as if she's sticking out her tongue, you can almost hear her saying YUCK. I do laugh but she gets pissed and then walks away and won't eat any more. I wait 10 minutes and give it back to her and then she'll poke her nose at the pile at least 5 times & walk away. She sure has a personality!! I do keep trying and I'll continue. I do like making a good mixture of things for her at feeding time which is twice a day. Should i not mix did much and only mix two items like romaine & dandelion together, or Mazuri & cactus etc. I started weighing her about 6 weeks after i got her. On 7-23-2020 she weighed 64 grams and on 9-13-2020 she weighed 140 grams. Is that too much weight gain to fast? Shes 4 inches long and 3 inches wide. Ohhh Scooter does eat wandering jew flowers, Mexican petunia, polka dotted plant leaves, wild evening primrose flowers, and begonia flowers. I ] that she'll eat and once in a while she will take a few bites out of grass on her own. Funny you said SPOILED and don't let her train me because i seriously didn't know a tort could do that to an owner. I will absolutely will trying daily. As I've said i have spend so much money on greens and she only eats 1/4 of it before it goes bad so i throw it out. I have grape leaves, mulberry leaves, cactus pads & the fruit, and two large hibiscus plants along with purple fountain grass, on my property ready to eat and about 7 other plants growing that she can eat once they grow. I shouldn't have to buy any greens but here i am!! I just don't want to fail her!! Thank you again..

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Outside sun a few hours a day at least a few times a week you should be FINE to not have indoor UVB. BTW the weight doesn't seem out of sorts so feed their appettite. How smooth is the shell? BTW add some hibiscus leaves and flowers, honeysuckle, plantain weed. You are welcome

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Outside sun a few hours a day at least a few times a week you should be FINE to not have indoor UVB. BTW the weight doesn't seem out of sorts so feed their appettite. How smooth is the shell? BTW add some hibiscus leaves and flowers, honeysuckle, plantain weed. You are welcome

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
I will try keep adding hibiscus and I did not know about the honey suckle. I do add grass all the time.. Can you tell me if for now if I get a plexiglas top and cut out for the lights would that be considered a better enclosure? I will also get cypress chips and get rid of that hay. Scooters shell looks good to me.. I am going to try to get a photo on this.. I don't know why I can not see the attached photo button on my phone or laptop. If you could find all my posts, you will see my first post I did a few days ago, and Scooters photo are there..

Zoeclare

Uk
I'm not sure if the reason you can't upload photos is because this is posted in the "tortoise forum contests" section, maybe a moderator can move it to the right section?

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
I'm not sure if the reason you can't upload photos is because this is posted in the "tortoise forum contests" section, maybe a moderator can move it to the right section?
YES, That is why.. I have tried EVERYTHING!! I realized I did a post in the wrong area, and I am new to this forum, but I will get the hang of it.. I did a NEW thread today, I think in the introduction part, with photo's.. Thank you so much for responding & helping me figure this out..