Pls help me identify my tortoise/turtle's type!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuwei

5 Year Member
I went to the wet market the other day and saw a lady slaughtering tortoises for consumption :( so i decided to buy two living ones from her. But i've no idea what species they are of, and they wont eat the vegetables i give them.

I just want to know their species so that i can find out what to feed them/ how to keep them!

They are black except for one yellow line across their heads.
Thanks!

Attachments

• P7200280.JPG
    P7200280.JPG
    860.8 KB · Views: 91
  • P7200284.JPG
    P7200284.JPG
    986.1 KB · Views: 63
  • P7200279.JPG
    P7200279.JPG
    914.2 KB · Views: 85

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello! Could you post a picture with the head/neck extended?
The feet makes them look aquatic...I think, anyway. It has webbing.
I have come up with a few things thanks to handy dandy Google, but I would definitely need to see the head/neck to help. :(

I'm sure someone with more experience with turtles will come along soon, however. :D

EDIT: Wait a second, just saw the third pic you posted. Officially confused lol
I hope someone knows because now I'm super curious!
Also, that was very kind of you to save them. :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Hard to be positive from the pics, but they're possibly Malayan Box Turtles (Cuora amboinensis)...

Set-up: The Malayan box turtle requires an aquarium that provides a water area and a land area in approximately a 50:50 ratio. A "20-gal. long" is a minimum size for one juvenile individual. The "long" format allows for more surface area, and you don't need the greater depth of the standard 20-gal tank. (A much larger pond with more land would be preferred for a pair, as aggression can be a problem with two or more.) Make sure to provide enough water for swimming, at least 6" deep. Place a reptile light fixture (such as Reptisun) on the tank, and provide some other type of basking and warming lamp. Use of substrate is optional. Pea gravel can be very attractive and natural looking. Gravel can also aid in keeping the water clean, if an undergravel filter is used. Additional rocks, wood and plants make nice additions to an aquarium. (For more information See a simple, small set-up)

Heat and humidity: A reliable water heater is required. (An "Ebo-Jager" model has worked well for me, while another brand failed to maintain a reliable temperature.) Keep the water temperature between 79 and 84 degrees F. (26.1 - 29 C.) Cover the tank enough to maintain a high humidity level (in the tropical range, 75-90%) and an air temperature of at least 78 degrees F, (25.6 C.) The area under the warming light should be about 82 to 90 degrees F. (28 - 32.3C) during the day. (Turn lights off at night, but maintain the water temperature.)

Feeding: In diet, at least, the Malayan is somewhat like other box turtles--omnivorous. However, aquatic plants provide the main food source for C. amboinensis in the wild. Provide a variety of greens 'n veggies, some fruits, mushrooms and an occasional waxworm or cricket. "Gut loading," or feeding nutritional plant matter to the worms or crickets before offering them to the turtle, improves the quality of this food source. Use a good supplement, formulated for turtles, to assure proper nutrition. (Supplements are not needed daily if the animal is feeding well and is provided with an excellent variety.) Malayans prefer to feed in the water, if the water is warm enough. Aquatic plants and greens can be provided in the pond or aquarium at all times. Feeding in a sink or plastic tub away from the aquarium will make cleaning easier. Healthy, well-nourished turtles do not require large feedings on a daily basis. One or two substantial feedings per week should keep your turtle happy and active without risking overfeeding. It is a good idea to keep cuttlebone, or some other high calcium food, available all the time. (Please note: turtles should not be fed spinach, rhubarb or parsley as these are high in oxalic acids, which can cause calcium deficiency.) There's more diet information at The diet dilemma. Also see my set-up page for more on feeding. A list of good foods for turtles can be found here: What Should I Feed My Turtle?

Hibernation: In the wild, the Malayan box turtle is never found in sub-tropical, temperate or alpine areas. It never hibernates.

Breeding: Views on "wild captured" verses "captive bred" animals, and tips on how to breed these turtles.

Troubleshooting: Cuora amboinensis -is a hardy species. It can endure poor husbandry, but why should it have to? If you are unable to provide proper care, find someone who can. You can then get one of the other pets that may fit your lifestyle better. Here are some signs that the turtle needs a change in its care.

how to care for your Asian box turtle

Inactivity: This little creature is highly curious and active by nature. If yours spends a lot of time sitting in the corner or "burrowing," it is not comfortable. The most likely cause is insufficient attention to temperature and humidity.

Avoidance of water: An aquatic animal will not avoid water if it is healthy and has a suitable supply of water available. Most likely, the water is too cold (below 78 degrees F.) The land area of the cage must also be warm and humid so that the animal does not cool rapidly when it comes out of the water.

Infection: Any sign of swelling around the eyes or ears, "bubbling" from the nose, or soft areas of the shell should be treated by a competent reptile veterinarian. The vivarium water and land areas must be kept very clean to avoid infections. Malayans kept under conditions that are too dry appear to be particularly susceptible to respiratory infections.

"Flaking" shell: Wild captured Malayans are often poorly cared for in transit and "storage" before they arrive at the pet store. If they have not had access to warm water and high humidity, the outer layer of the carapacial scutes can begin to peel up. When the animal is returned to good living conditions, this may correct itself. However, while the flaking exists, harmful pathogens can find their way under the damaged laminae. In that case "shell rot" can result. If caught early, home treatment is usually successful.

Refusal to eat: This species tends to eat eagerly, even with less than optimum care. If your C. amboinensis -is not eating, it may be very ill. The first thing to try would be aquatic plants. If that fails, seek veterinary help. Some sick "ambys" will eat only live foods. They may be craving the extra protein. But an unwillingness to eat aquatic plants would be evidence of illness. You may need to explain this to your vet since veterinarians cannot be expected to know the habits of every species.
http://www.turtlepuddle.org/cuora/caresheet.html

Hope this helps!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
vicious circle... you have supported this vender by buying the animals.. they will just got get more....
but at least these two wont be slaughtered...
Is it legal to do this where you live? or can that vendor be reported?
Are these turtles native?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Yuwei:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Stephanie said:
Terry, you're a flippin' genius! LOL!
Congratulations on your new Malayan Box Turtles! :)

Aw shucks...actually, I had one for a couple of years... pretty good pet, and just loved freshwater shrimp and crayfish.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :) They are both Asian box turtles, Cuora amboinensis.

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I had one of those many many years ago, awesome turtle I kept in with a big pan of water, it loved the water, it eventually escaped.

yuwei

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your help!
I'm from Malaysia and unfortunately it is legal here :(
I know that the vendor would just get more but I couldn't help it,
she had hundreds of them cramped to a little box!!

It had just been a couple of days and they are still very very timid, really hope they would be fine :tort:

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
that was a good thing you did and im glad you did it :) so what are you going to do with them now

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
yuwei said:

It had just been a couple of days and they are still very very timid, really hope they would be fine :tort:

I am not up to date with information on your area, but the Turtle Survival Alliance works internationally saving turtles like you did from slaughter markets. They have a list of the most endangered turtle species on the website, and there are many cuora species on the list. Very happy you were there for them. the website is: www.turtlesurvival.org -search for the top 25 turtles

yuwei

5 Year Member
Ok.Thank u. But they are not eating anything, I tried lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, bananas. They dont want to eat anything. Can anyone help?? I'll try getting mealworms tomorrow.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
yuwei said:

I know they will just get more also and it sucks, but for the ones you got I am happy!! :D Lucky turtles will be loved!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
yuwei said:
Ok.Thank u. But they are not eating anything, I tried lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, bananas. They dont want to eat anything. Can anyone help?? I'll try getting mealworms tomorrow.

Try minnows/very small goldfish, crayfish, freshwater shrimp, various worms, various greens, slices of plums, etc. Keep the live food, one of each, in the enclosure, so the turtlles can eat in their own good time.

Also, your new pets have been traumatized, so they may just need to get used to you/their new home, so give them time, and keep interaction to a minimum...once they're eating and getting healthy again, try making friends w/ them at that point..

What are you keeping them in? Perhaps keep them in seperate enclosures, too.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They are mainly a water turtle, so will usually only eat if they are in the water. Just have the water a bit over the top of their shells and a way for them to get out of the water. They will be different turtles once in the water. :D

Danny

yuwei

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

an update on my turtles, i'm keeping them in separate tanks with water and a wooden plank to rest on.

but the problem is they wont eat!!! anyone please help. i've tried almost everything i can think of.
one of them wont even come out of its shell, but the other does move around, but both of them just dont want to eat.

i tried mealworms, fruits, vegetables.

please help!!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
yuwei said:
Hi everyone,

an update on my turtles, i'm keeping them in separate tanks with water and a wooden plank to rest on.

but the problem is they wont eat!!! anyone please help. i've tried almost everything i can think of.
one of them wont even come out of its shell, but the other does move around, but both of them just dont want to eat.

i tried mealworms, fruits, vegetables.

please help!!!

Try very small crayfish/fresh water shrimps, dark green vegetables, bok choy, mushrooms, stuff like that...BASICALLY, try ANYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.