Pls identify this torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

volans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upland, CA
My dad found this tortoise walking on a busy street and happened to see it and brought it home. Pls help to identify this guy (type and sex) and how to take care of it. Thx ^0^

Attachments

• copy.JPG
    copy.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 91
  • copy2.JPG
    copy2.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 75
  • copy3.JPG
    copy3.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 70
  • copy4.JPG
    copy4.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 62
  • copy5.JPG
    copy5.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 63

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Looks like a Desert Tortoise. You might want to call your local Fish & Wildlife. Desert Tortoises are protected in their ranges.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
NO. Do not let it go, its already been in captivity and could potentially take something back to the wild torts. It could also be someone's adopted Desert Tort that got lost. Contact one of the CA societies for DTs on this page.

http://www.tortoise.org/cttclink.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
volans said:
My dad found this tortoise walking on a busy street and happened to see it and brought it home. Pls help to identify this guy (type and sex) and how to take care of it. Thx ^0^

Hi Volans:

What you have there is someone's lost desert tortoise. You can tell its been someone's pet because of the flattened shape of the carapace. If it were a wild tortoise, it would have a more domed shape. You need to place fliers up on the utility poles in your neighborhood, and maybe place a "found" ad in the newspaper. If you do place an ad, be sure to question folks claiming the tortoise because there are lots of people out there who will lie to you.

It is against the law to take them from the wild, but many people have them legally, with a permit from the Department of Fish and Game.

If you set him free, you are condemning him to death, also its against the law to release a pet tortoise back into the wild.

I hope you find his owners, I'll bet they are really worried about him. But if you don't, please use the link provided in a previous email and contact one of the chapters of the California Turtle and tortoise Club that's close to you, and turn the tortoise over to them.

Yvonne

volans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upland, CA
It was found in Orange county on the walkway in a suburban area where there are lots of houses, not on a desert area...perhaps someone might lost it..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
volans said:
It was found in Orange county on the walkway in a suburban area where there are lots of houses, not on a desert area...perhaps someone might lost it..

Isn't that what I just said? Please go back to my previous post and READ it. I give you some hints about finding the tortoise's owner.

Yvonne

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
volans, i am also in orange county. i can take care of this DT until we find his owner if you are (for whatever reason) not up to the task.
PM me for my contact info or just email josh @ tortoiseforum.org

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Volans, Welcome to the forum. What a way to become aquainted with us and a tort. Yes that is a young DT you have. I am a member of the Inland Empire Chapter of the California Tortoise and Turtle Club (CTTC). We, as are most of the CTTCs, are given Torts and Turts of all kind that have been found or unwanted to have them rehomed. The CTTC works hard to find forever homes for these wonderful creatures. Spikethebest (Cory) is also one of the members and an adoption chairperson. Any chapter would take it and find it a home. If you would like to keep it in the area you are in or perhaps adopt it yourself I would contact a chapter nearest Upland. (I am from San Bernardino, Cory is from Woodland Hills). Here is the link for the individual chapters http://www.tortoise.org/cttcmemb.html

By the way I may as well make the pitch now. CTTC membership is only $20.00 per year and they have fun informative meetings so those that are in CA (only ones I know about) Please think of attending a meeting and or joining. Meetings are free to the public. And you can find like minded people in your area to talk tort and turt too.
If you need more info feel free to contact me.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hello! Please let us know who you will be giving the tortoise too. It is very important we take good care of it, and be responsible about it. These are very sensitive animals, and require very specific care.

Thank you!

volans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upland, CA
Hi all,
I've decided to adopt the DT, going to get the permit, and i've been looking around to get some stuff for his enclosure. I have been using some newspaper for the substrate and changing it to alfalfa pellet as soon as I get the stuff, heat lamp that goes on top on a ceramic bulb fixture on one side of the place (bout 75-80 degrees on the hottest part), reptisun 5.0 uv fluorescent lamp. Do you think it's best to put it in an 10 gallon aquarium? I've looked on the forum and somebody using totes connected together, do you know where I can get that? I've been taking the DT out in the sun so he can play around in sunny days. I've also given this guy some tortoise food complete with vit, minerals, calcium, and D3. Some romaine lettuce, rose petals, red and green lettuce. Do u guys think i still need to get some vitamin, calcium, D3 powder? I'm a bit curious but do torts like to be hand fed or eating from the ground? Thanks for the help...

Status
Not open for further replies.