Plywood sealant ( new enclosure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarok

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I just started building my enclosure out of plywood and I want to seal the wood so that it doesn't get ruined and so that I can keep the inside moist without having to worry about mold and what not. The enclosure is aprox 48 x 24 x 24. I don't know anything about this stuff but I have heard people mention polyurethane. If possible I would like to use something clear (colorless) so it can retain the natural wood design. Please let me know what my best options are. I also need ideas for ventilation and heating. Thanks guys.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
colorado springs, colorado
yea clear, you said you would like to have the wood look and they make a clear sealant and paint its oderless also , i painted my plywood with it worked great i didnt use the clear but they do make it

Akronic

5 Year Member
I used Minwax Helmsman clear satin gloss. once it's cured there is really nothing to worry about, as far as it being a petroleum product like some say dont use it. i have heard of people useing a masonry water sealer called DRYLOCK/LOX

MjolnirRedfoot

5 Year Member
Hey there, im a new member and I may have a solution. I am a roofer and we use a material called metacrylics they have a website you can check out. They have a clear called stone coat that is just what your looking for, it also waterproofs as well. As soon as this stuff is dry it is completely safe and non toxic and I have used it for 15 years. And in my new redfoot table

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
MjolnirRedfoot said:
Hey there, im a new member and I may have a solution. I am a roofer and we use a material called metacrylics they have a website you can check out. They have a clear called stone coat that is just what your looking for, it also waterproofs as well. As soon as this stuff is dry it is completely safe and non toxic and I have used it for 15 years. And in my new redfoot table

Hi MjolnirRedfoot:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself? It looks like we are going to be lucky you have found us.

HtVic

5 Year Member
also let me know how do you do the front glass when you finish. thx

yarok

5 Year Member
Well for the front glass I am using plexiglass on a track. Iwant to install round vents on the sides but cant find any online...

nickercrombie

5 Year Member
yarok said:
Well for the front glass I am using plexiglass on a track. Iwant to install round vents on the sides but cant find any online...

What sort of round vents? Like just a grate? Or some sort of louvered vent? You may want to check out computer fan vents for just round grate types, or check 4" diameter hvac vents, there are some that are can be opened and closed and some that stay open based on airflow. Check out mcmaster.com for a good selection of things like that.

yarok

5 Year Member
I ordered some aluminum round vents. They were cheap. Hope they work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.