Plz can u advise...thermometer,lights.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Hello I have a few more questions sorry if im being a pest lol just want to get everything perfect for my horsefield tortoise :)
Ok firstly I need new lights for her I am thinking of getting the combined UVB/UVA bulb, do u think that's a good idea & if so what make would u advise on getting I've seen there are a few dif makes(zoo med, exo terra, arcadia) and they are all priced differently?
Secondly the thermometers I have are a bit crappy so thought I may aswell get a new one at the same time as the light,
I think I want a digital one that is also a hygrometer not got a clue which one to get and which are accurate?

Really appreciate any suggestions you have. :D

Rebecca

I'm from England if that helps lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Lets start out with what things do.

UVB: is necessary for your tort to make its own Vitamin D which helps it process calcium in its diet and that keeps bones and shell strong. Safe UVB sources are the sun outside, or a tube lamp or MVB lamp. Compact (coil) UVB bulbs have been shown to cause eye problems and should not be used. Combined UVA bulbs are not necessary.

Basking: is necessary for your tortoise to digest his food. He is cold blooded, unlike you, so he needs extra heat from outside to do this. This lamp can be a simple household spot bulb in an appropriate lamp holder, or you can use the MVB bulb mentioned earlier as this is a baskjng lamp combined with a UVB source.

Put your lights on a timer so that they are on all day 12 hours.

Your tort does not need light at night as it is not nocturnal. If additional heat is required then a Ceramic Heat Emitter ( CHE ) which emits no light can be used... use a thermostat so that it only comes on if needed.

Your tort

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Aw thanx for helping out so much never thought anyone would bother spend the time writing back with advice for all my posts :D
I think I will get the mvb bulb then. What make is the best?

Rebecca

And do u mean to write more at the end because I can just c "your tort"
then nothing?

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
As for the thermometer, I bought a digital one by Acurite at Walmart (they also sell them at home improvement stores, and other all-in-one stores). It has humidity, temp, and 24hour high and lows. It was $9. A "pet product" will cost a lot more, so I'd stay away. For that price, I was able to get a couple, to monitor different sections of the enclosure.

They also have ones with probes. You can put the probe in the enclosure and have the display in your kitchen. Those are more costly, of course.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use the power sun mvb. The mvb are more expensive, however they don't need to be change out but only once a year, and gives both heat, light and mvb. Where the fluorescent ones need to be changed out every six months and does not give out heat. A point and shoot temp gun is also a nice tool to have.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Thank u both for that info :) I was looking at maybe getting one of the wireless ones
Basically will say in short my situation:
I've been ill 4 around 5yrs I'm bedbound at mo. friend got me this tortoise coz I said I loved his cousins on when I looked after it while they away.
My fam especially mum help look after tort (I can get v bossy if something isn't done right lol :p ) so though if I had the wireless one with the prob in separately then I can keep an eye on it all the time
Just an idea but didn't no what one is accurate as I have one now (not wireless and I think it isn't v good and it doesn't do the humidity)
Ok this was meant to b a short message oops

Oh and one more thing than will stop asking so many questions
I think I am defo going to get the zoo med Powersun but what reflector would u suggest ?

Status
Not open for further replies.