Pool as indoor enclosure for my Sulcatas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

russian

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Using a Step 2 kiddie pool as the indoor enclosure this year during the cold Omaha winters. This is a huge upgrade in SqFootage from the Rubbermaid bins I had been using. Pool is 6'x4'. My sulcatas are 5" and 4". Plenty of space for cool, hot and basking area. It too large to mist with a bottle sprayer, so my mister this year is a 2 gallon water can. More pics to come

step 2 pool.jpg
pool.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looks like it works out pretty well.

Luke225

5 Year Member
russian said:
Using a Step 2 kiddie pool as the indoor enclosure this year during the cold Omaha winters. This is a huge upgrade in SqFootage from the Rubbermaid bins I had been using. Pool is 6'x4'. My sulcatas are 5" and 4". Plenty of space for cool, hot and basking area. It too large to mist with a bottle sprayer, so my mister this year is a 2 gallon water can. More pics to come
Looks like good idea. More space, less stress.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what are you going to do when they get bigger? bigger pool? I cant imagine housing mine inside.. at all..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That'll work. I've got one of those pools too. I use it for all sorts of stuff.

russian

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Laura said:
what are you going to do when they get bigger? bigger pool? I cant imagine housing mine inside.. at all..

Also have a heated garage when the time comes.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Awesome pool enclosure, I've been searching for a rectangular kiddie pool for a temporary outside enclosure, it just doesn't appear anyone makes them anymore.

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
Laura said:

I actually think its easier inside? You don't have to worry about predators or people?

russian

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ripper7777777 said:
Awesome pool enclosure, I've been searching for a rectangular kiddie pool for a temporary outside enclosure, it just doesn't appear anyone makes them anymore.

I got mine off Craigslist. The guy even delivered it for me as you would need a truck because its so big.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
ripper7777777 said:

I find them a lot on Craigslist...seems others have been holding onto them and decide to let them do for almost nothing.....HAPPY HUNTING!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is an awesome pool!!!!! I have never seen one that shape...wonder why they stopped mass producing them...darn :p

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
russian said:

I just did the exact same thing, on a temporary basis. I searched online for about 20 minutes to see if it was safe to house torts inside of plastic and to make sure the heat lamps would not melt the pool. Should have just searched the threads here first. Seeing that Tom and Austin approve, that makes us feel better about out temp. indoor enclosure.
The wonderful tort table with a build in hide box my hubby made was for a hatchling. It was large enough for the juveniles we have now, but just barely. He got materials for a much larger tort table to complete this weekend, but I grabbed a baby pool from the garage that I used for a volleyball team fundraiser at a local festival until the tort table was done. They love the added space so much that I hated to remove them. The 4 foot in diameter pool looks horrible sitting on a fancy card table in the rec room, but I don't care. It will work until it is warm enough to be outside. Hubby made two wood hide boxes for it, Babette does not like to share. Even if she isn't interested in the hide box, the minute Scarlet starts to walk towards it, she blocks her path and guards the opening. Will post pics later, going to add more dirt today so they can dig, dig, dig since the baby pool enclosure has two thumbs of from forum members :)

ascott said:
That is an awesome pool!!!!! I have never seen one that shape...wonder why they stopped mass producing them...darn :p

Step 2 still makes them. Check Walmart site to store, cost about $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.