Poop Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

romesh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pune, Maharashtra
hi...

i have a 6" Indian Star tortoise.. i got it 3 days bak..
he is eating food everyday in the morning..
he ate a piece of tomato three petals of hibiscus and today he ate a peice of cucumber...
he is active has water also

but in all this he hasnt pooped once..
i am worried plz can someone help...
thank you...

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Not familiar with stars, but soaking them never hurts. Yeah, they usually act like they want to climb out, but it's good for them. A baby-warm soaking is usually the best thing to get them moving. He also could just be a little stressed because of the new environment. Keep soaking him and give him some time.

romesh

5 Year Member
Pune, Maharashtra
okay thank you very much October

will soak him everyday in the morning...
will let u know how it works out... :)
ty

i had one before but it was very small n it couldnt handle the cold i did everything i could..
now i got a adult one so its much simpler i guess...

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
My Little Guy Never Pooped Or Peeded, Until I Bumped Up The Water Hotter, Gave Him More Alone Time, And Time In General
Try Leaving Him For 20 Mintues!

romesh

5 Year Member
Pune, Maharashtra
okay can do that but i gotta hold him there he tries to get out..

so i will have to put it in a big container with warm hot water upto his chin so he cant get out for twenty min...

ty

S

stells

3 days isn't a long time for a tortoise not to poop... i wouldn't be worried... their metabolism... depends on temperature... the warmer they are the quicker the food will be digested and passed... what temps are you keeping the tortoise at?

There is also a possibility that the tortoise has pooped while you haven't been about... and eaten the evidence...

romesh

5 Year Member
Pune, Maharashtra
my room temp is from 26-30 C
n i have put a heat bulb in one corner but he does not go there if it on..
he roams around and sleeps for 12-14 hours..
he likes to be in shade where its cooler..

S

stells

Bare in mind... that if you have only had the tortoise 3 days... it is still going to be settling into new surroundings...

Once settled you will more than likely see a big change in behaviour and the amount of food eaten... which will result in some nice big poops too...

Do you know the tortoises history?

romesh

5 Year Member
Pune, Maharashtra
actually the person i got it from just told me that give him cucumber n tomato only n just leave it on the floor..
but other than this nothing

S

stells

As you don't know the history... i would get a fecal checked for parasites...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
romesh said:
actually the person i got it from just told me that give him cucumber n tomato only n just leave it on the floor..
but other than this nothing

Hi Romesh:

I hope you understand that you were given the wrong information by the person you got the tortoise from. It's probably nice and warm in India, but your tortoise still needs to have his own place. A large bin or tub, with a warming light on one end of it. A nice hiding place at the other end so he can get away from the light. And a better diet. Cucumber and tomato isn't good enough.

Here's a link to a nice care sheet for star tortoises. It has some good information on habitat and diet:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-startortoise.htm

S

stells

Good call Yvonne... i totally missed that part... and just assumed the tortoise was an enclosure in the room with the bulb... total blonde moment on my part...

romesh

5 Year Member
Pune, Maharashtra
@Stells- where do i get it checked cause its illegal in India to own a Star tortoise...
@Yvonne- its in my room, i have made two three hiding spots, a large dish of water and a enclosure for food n pebbles..
he doesnt like to sit under the light donno y....
before this he was in an enclosure but he did nt move at all as soon as i took him out he has become active...
m really confused..

i also gave him hibiscus and rose petals.. he ate them happily.. tomorrow i will give him sweet potato...

radhika

5 Year Member
Hi Romesh,

I know that it illegel to keep them in India but still u can get some persons who can help u. Give them proper food and no tomato and cucumber. U can give hibescus leaves and flowers, different verities of gress, pumkin with calcium supliments, you can also give grated carrot ones in a week.

Provided them proper sunlight and water supply. You should soke in warm water 2es a week.

Hope you will get benifit from this.

romesh

5 Year Member
Pune, Maharashtra
thanks alot...
i have already started saoking him.. nt giving him cucumber n tomato...

romesh

5 Year Member
Pune, Maharashtra
its been ten days now and my tortoise still hasnt pooped...
he eats, roams , sleeps everyday...
i bathe him thrice a week still no luck....

River14

5 Year Member
romesh said:
hi...

i have a 6" Indian Star tortoise.. i got it 3 days bak..
he is eating food everyday in the morning..
he ate a piece of tomato three petals of hibiscus and today he ate a peice of cucumber...
he is active has water also

but in all this he hasnt pooped once..
i am worried plz can someone help...
thank you...

Rameshy on this diet it wont need to poo, its 99% water and almost no fibre. So dont worry. Once it starts eating a correct diet it will poo in the warm bath for you nicely.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
He could be eating his poo without you noticing it.

does he pee at least?

I'm no expert so wait for someone who can confirm, but when my tort has a hard time pooing or has not pooed in a few days I give her a tiny piece of aloe vera... it makes their poo runny and it seems to make my tort poo. Opuntia helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.