Poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I recently changed my sulcatas substrate about 1 week ago. I only changed it because his buddy he never met passed away and they lived in the same home, so I changed I completely replaced it with cleaner substrate materials. But since I changed it he has only pooped like 1 time as opposed to before where he pooped like 1-2 a day. He eats like a little piggy but idk why he hasn't pooped. Is this anything I should worry about? or is it a serious problem?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
dcoolguy68, when you say you changed the substrate to a 'cleaner substrate material' what are you using now? I went back over some of your posts and was wondering was it your 8 month old Sully that wasn't eating the one that died? As far as not pooping several things could be going on. Like, he is eating his own poo, or he is not hydrated enough so he can't poo or he has a blockage. Do you know for sure he has not pooped? Can you post pics of his enclosure?

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've always used sand and bed a beast, yes the 8 month old was the one that passed away(vet still doesn't know why, not going back to them anymore) but I just replaced the substrate so that he can have the entire house for himself and so that he doesn't catch anything from the older tortoise who lived there. I think it was cause he's dehydrated, I left him soaking for 20 minutes yesterday and he pooped, before it was about 10-15min so I guess the extra 5-10 min made a difference. He actually never ate his poo, he just left it there lol so thats when I noticed he wasn't pooping.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Sorry to be OT, but did you know there are 25 posts on this forum with the word "poop" in the title? LOL

Kristina

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
dcoolguy68, glad the extra soak time is doing the trick. Sorry to hear about your other Sully.

Kristina, now there are 26. LOL

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah, hopefully he'll be able to poop on his own soon like he used to.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
kyryah said:
Sorry to be OT, but did you know there are 25 posts on this forum with the word "poop" in the title? LOL

Kristina

Anyone else find it weird we talk about turtle/tortoise bodily functions so much or with such avid interest? :p Or maybe we just use it as another reason to talk about them. :D

Dawna

M

Maggie Cummings

How many keepers will admit to picking up a piece of Sulcata poop bare fingered? Come on now...tell the truth, I know you have. It's dry with hay sticking out all over and it's just the one turd and you don't want to run and get the shovel...who here does it? So I'll 'fess up first, I have indeed picked up Sulcata poop bare handed...so I'm #1

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I must be #2, then Maggie! I can say that I have never picked up a wet, fresh one, but yes, I have removed a dry one. I have a small waste basket next to the indoor enclosure, and I usually use a piece of toilet paper to pick up the cigars. I have, on occasion, been to lazy to walk to the other end of the house to get another roll. :D

Kristina

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
I also don't see much poop in the enclosure, I'm hoping that it is breaking down into ferilizer for the seed I planted. That stuff has really taken off. But it wouldn't suprise me if shelly is eating her poop. I know she pees, cause she usually does it in the food bowl!!!

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I pick it up bare-handed but it is a tiny poop since he's only a baby lol.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
OK I admit it I'm #4 and I still do it occasionally with my greeks. I think I might be the real Crazy 1, I even took first poop pic of my new hatchling LOL, I think I even posted it. Any body else?

M

Maggie Cummings

I got some kind of bad news yesterday and it's really been bothering me. Then I went into Bob's shed with his breakfast and there he was with a ginormous cigar sticking out of his mouth!!! So what did I do? I reached out to grab it...but oh no! I ain't pulling on a wet one that size. An 80 pound tortoise can really create some large waste...so I just put his breakfast down and quietly backed out...laughing...guess I need to bring his breakfast sooner

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Well I guess I'll be #5. I'll have my lazy moments and not want to walk into the other room to get something to grab the poo with. So I'll use my bare hands. I guess I'm used to that stuff from disecting owl droppings to see what they have eaten (Biology class in college) to helping my pygmy goats deliver their babies. It's a good way to see how much I love animals!!!

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
:D I quess I will be #6, the trash can is next to enclosure so it is a real quick grab and toss:D

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
lol lucky number 7....What else would I pick it up with? It looks sissy to wear gloves for such little poops! I do so with my snakes as well...and my gecko :p! I have enough animals that I am always getting my hands dirty with someone, I would go through hundreds of gloves a week I think!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'm #8. Usually though, he goes while eating and leaves me a turd dried to his slate tile that needs some scrubbing to clean off! If it's just in the substrate that's easy.

M

Maggie Cummings

Meg90 said:
lol lucky number 7....What else would I pick it up with? It looks sissy to wear gloves for such little poops! I do so with my snakes as well...and my gecko :p! I have enough animals that I am always getting my hands dirty with someone, I would go through hundreds of gloves a week I think!

Sulcata create the biggest 'gift' for it's size...it would just knock off your socks!!! Bob puts out large cigar shaped turds held together with straw.and then the shed smells like a wild thing, I like the way it smells:p

Laura said:
Maggie.. i hope the bad news isnt too bad.. you ok?

I am alright, but a long time friend (25 or 30 years) committed suicide. It is very depressing, but not unexpected. I know I did everything I could do from here. In a 10 month period he lost his father, his sister and his long time significant other...he also was a truck driver hauling a fuel tanker and in mourning the loss of all those people he got 2 DUI's and lost his job and couldn't get another...it's just so sad...so thanks for asking...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My condolences, Maggie. It is hard to lose someone that way.

I can't BELIEVE the size of Sulcata turds! My 13" long tortoise has bigger poops than my 50 lb dog! And I am talking I pick poop out of the enclosure several times a day. Mine are in the house, of course, so I have to due to the smell.

I can only imagine how big of a turd Bob gives you, lol. I got home from somewhere yesterday, walk in the front door, and here sets Ella with a gigantor wet, fresh turd in her mouth. Just setting there, holding it by one end, like a CIGAR. It was too funny, I just let her keep it for the time being.

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.