Poor appetite? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmitch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno nv
Iv had my little redfoot for one week today I know he needs to get comfortable in his new home but he has barley eaten. The first day he ate some romaine lettuce but that's it I've given him mazuri which he will eat but he won't eat any greens I've tried collard, cactus, romaine I even boiled him an egg this morning he won't eat that he just wants to hide in his log. I hope he's ok I've taken him outside everyday and have been soaking him.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Aside from soaks, I wouldn't touch him too much. Taking him outside everyday can cause stress if he's already in an environment he's not used to.

Also, I would drop the romaine. There are many better greens out there, including the collards you already feed him.

Again, just give him time and remember that he is probably confused and a little scared! Give him his food and some space and he'll be all over you in no time.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I agree with Matt.
My red foot was like this for a bit too when I first got her.
I definitely wouldn't take him out for a while.
Tortoises tend to be stressed after the move to their forever home. It's not uncommon at all for them to
withdraw and not eat as much as they should. He just needs time to adjust.
In the meantime, try Dandelion leaves, arugula, escarole or Endive. Those were what got my tortoise to start eating greens. To this day sometimes she won't eat some kinds of greens. But in time you will start learning what he does and doesn't like as well as when he's just being stubborn for sweets (fruits) :D
Keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.