Poor Box Turtles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
OMG!!! Why oh why did I watch that!!! In thirty years of keeping box turtles, I've seen some pretty bad stuff, but NEVER as bad as that. I am sick to my stomach!!! These poor box turtles should be put to sleep. If I knew where they lived, I would go there and commit a crime!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG!!!!!!

Well, if you look real close you CAN see chew marks on the very front of the carapace. That person hasn't a clue about what a box turtle should look like. Those poor, poor turtles.

I was going to post a comment, but it wanted me to sign up and make a channel, whatever that is. I don't want to have a chanel. So instead I clicked on the "dis-like" button.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
That is all bad care plain and simple, I'm with Terry, I wish I wouldn't have watched that..

I posted a comment but it said that it was awaiting approval, it may not get approved...

B

byerssusan

I was thinking the same thing..I would love to be close to where these turtles are..I would get everyone of them and at least try and save them. Thats just horrible. Whats wrong with people????

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ooookay, geesh just kinda a shock seeing that. :( Too think he is making that public. Me, I'd be so ashamed I'd be hiding them in the far back hidden enclosure or something.:( I do wish I had some of those snails... :rolleyes:

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I've seen a box turtle loook just like this in an adoption ad on petfinder.com, the one
I've seen got that way from being kept entirely wrong, he was a 4 year old Eastern box turtle, kept since hatchling age in an office in a dish/bowl container.. No real enclosure, no lighting, no UVB, just a dry area and a wet spot, for four years.. he looked exactly like that, its heart breaking

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't know about you guys, but I can't even ID them, they look like 3 toe to me.
While I did see what looked like some chewing damage, that is massive MBD long nails those bumpy looking shells. Poor turtles can't pull in and they all look like that not just one, sad and amazing to me.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
nikki0601 said:
I've seen a box turtle loook just like this in an adoption ad on petfinder.com, the one
I've seen got that way from being kept entirely wrong, he was a 4 year old Eastern box turtle, kept since hatchling age in an office in a dish/bowl container.. No real enclosure, no lighting, no UVB, just a dry area and a wet spot, for four years.. he looked exactly like that, its heart breaking

I remember that one!

I can see the chew marks too but the person made it seem like they are that deformed because of the opossum. I actually didnt know that the boxies looked like that when I clicked the video, I thought I was viewing a regular box turtle video. Sorry guys....

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
dalano73 said:
That is all bad care plain and simple, I'm with Terry, I wish I wouldn't have watched that..

I posted a comment but it said that it was awaiting approval, it may not get approved...
Same here.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
somebody who knows how to post or send the poster some info PLEASE DO SO!!!! dont they have a clue that that is NOT NORMAL!? oh my.. and to think they are three.. and survied.. and there are people who do everything right. and lover thier babies and they die... so sad.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
it's scarier bc on the same user's channel there are videos at reptile shows and stuff, showing other tortoises and turtles that are being well cared for, or at least decent looking...there's a video of tortoises eating a plate of string beans but maybe they are providing a varied diet...even talks about CTTC and licensing the CDT...wouldn't they figure out proper care of turtles?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Zamric said:
I didn't know torts could live with damage that bad!
Sometimes with all the turtles and tortoises that fail to survive with what seems like the best of care, it does seem they are not hardy animals. That is not so. Nature made these guys to be fighters, to adapt to everything they can just to live and they do it well. Out in the wild even, you can find ones that have suffered simply horrendous injuries without modern medical intervention and yet they survive and just keep a ticking, like the Energizer bunny. :D It's why they are still on this earth, when so many creatures and plants have died out.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
Jacqui said:
Sometimes with all the turtles and tortoises that fail to survive with what seems like the best of care, it does seem they are not hardy animals. That is not so. Nature made these guys to be fighters, to adapt to everything they can just to live and they do it well. Out in the wild even, you can find ones that have suffered simply horrendous injuries without modern medical intervention and yet they survive and just keep a ticking, like the Energizer bunny. :D It's why they are still on this earth, when so many creatures and plants have died out.

Very well said!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Oh goodness, that's awful. I left 2 comments (ran out of room on the first). The first one commented on the condition and tried to get across that their appearance is NOT normal; the second one, I sent links to a couple care sheets and 2 forums (this one and turtleforum), both urging him to at least do some care research.

Ugh. Those poor little turtles. I can't even imagine the care they went through to get THAT bad. And for the guy to be convinced that their shells will "catch up" with their bodies? That their appearance is at all NORMAL? Omg...

I'm 100% sure none of our comments will be approved. If he's so convinced his turtles are healthy and happy, then he'll go through and censor all the criticism. I guess all we can hope is that he'll read and see how many they are, and maybe it will get him thinking... :(

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Its just amazing not one but three even survived whatever conditions caused that extreme malformation.. And it is a sad thing that other keepers can do everything they can and still have a turtle or tortoise pass, I have my first Tortoise, a Sulcata, have had him for a couple weeks now, when he come to me and ever since I have been on edge, so nervous because he is so young, just weeks old when I was expecting him to be at the 6 month mark.. But I have been preparing for him for months before he came and so far he is thriving extremely well, thanks to this forum and the people on it, before I come here all the info I had learned was over half wrong, like way off, and I read about all the hatchling failure and hatchling heartbreaker stories, so I'm prepared to stay this nervous for awhile lol, but everything revolves around Sully, lol, everything I do revolves around what time he gets his soaks, his sun, meals etc etc.. And this dude here on youtube seems to have just placed a few hatchling in bowl and left em for a few years, no worries, poor things

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Well you never know, maybe they were in far worse condition when he found them. Maybe he worked day in night to keep them alive and tried to save them. They look very healthy for their condition.

I want to give this guy the benfit of the doubt, because no matter what these turtles seems very healthy. I just wonder how they will be in the future.

I just hope the cage they are in for the film is only their feeding tank. I have to imagine they are housed in a beutiful sphagnum moss substrate for thier normal life. Without all the facts I have to lean far into ultra positive.

Either way the more I look at them the more it breaks my heart.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think the guy is very miss informed to write that the turtles are overweight and that there shell will catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.