Poor CDT at shelter w/ writing on shell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This poor girl is currently listed in the "lost and found" section at the Carson Shelter. Her shell appears to say "Hello <3".

hellotort.jpg

This OTHER - ID#A4174678
I am described as a female, brown and green Tortoise
The shelter thinks I am about 1 year old.
I have been at the shelter since Aug 18, 2010.

Los Angeles County Animal Control - Carson
animalcare.lacounty.gov

216 West Victoria Street
Gardena, CA 90248

Voice: (310) 523-9566

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
1 year old are they kidding? I don't think so she's too big.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Im going to try to adopt her! I just called and she is still available. Wish me luck guys!

Do you have the proper permit to adopt a CDT from a shelter?

BTW- Just as a heads up, the Carson Shelter is usually a joy (pure sarcasm here) to work with. Hope she gets out soon though!

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
APBT_Fanatic said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Im going to try to adopt her! I just called and she is still available. Wish me luck guys!

BTW- Just as a heads up, the Carson Shelter is usually a joy (pure sarcasm here) to work with. Hope she gets out soon though!

I have a permit for 2 hatchlings that died during hibernation and 1 male DT I Gave to Candy. Does that count?

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tortuga_terrestre said:
APBT_Fanatic said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:

I have a permit for 2 hatchlings that died during hibernation and 1 male DT I Gave to Candy. Does that count?

No. Quoting DeanS from another thread:

"The basic rule-of-thumb at ALL CA shelters...You must have a F & G permit to 'adopt' a CDT...but then it's "released" i.e. no fees collected."

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
APBT_Fanatic said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:
APBT_Fanatic said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:

"The basic rule-of-thumb at ALL CA shelters...You must have a F & G permit to 'adopt' a CDT...but then it's "released" i.e. no fees collected."

How do I obtain this permit?

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tortuga_terrestre said:
APBT_Fanatic said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:
APBT_Fanatic said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:

How do I obtain this permit?

Somebody else would have to answer that. I only know of the CTTC who has the permit/ability to pull them from the shelters.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just take your permit for the two hatchlings that died. That's all they need. They don't seem to understand that you get a permit for the tortoise AFTER you have the tortoise. So, just showing them the permit that you DO have is good enough.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
Just take your permit for the two hatchlings that died. That's all they need. They don't seem to understand that you get a permit for the tortoise AFTER you have the tortoise. So, just showing them the permit that you DO have is good enough.

Thank You!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:

Would that work for any shelter tortoise? I have a permit for my adult CDT....

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Bad News! Someone beat me to the punch. I dont understand, I called yesterday afternoon and it was still available with no interested parties. And they're was a 2 week waiting period! They told me to call today at 10am so I called at 9:30am and he was still available. They told me that the manager was in a meeting and would return my call. I just received the call to tell me someone was picking him up tomorrow!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It might be one of the CTTC chapters picking him up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
APBT_Fanatic said:
Would that work for any shelter tortoise? I have a permit for my adult CDT....

Yes, that works at all the animal shelters that require you to have a permit.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Bad News! Someone beat me to the punch. I dont understand, I called yesterday afternoon and it was still available with no interested parties. And they're was a 2 week waiting period! They told me to call today at 10am so I called at 9:30am and he was still available. They told me that the manager was in a meeting and would return my call. I just received the call to tell me someone was picking him up tomorrow!

Walter didn't you ask them who was picking it up? Was it the original owner or like Dmmj said maybe the CTTC? I would call them back to see since they had already gave you information that made you think that it was available.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Walter have you tried ALL "local" chapters of the CTTC? When I was adopting I called around to see who had CDTs available...

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
You guys are right! Im going to go to a chapter. So it was bothering me that the DT was adopted out by someone else, After I was told;it was available.I just got off the phone with the shelter and I was informed a Chapter was given preference....Its ok. No, I am not planning to breed them (what would I do with with the hatchlings?).Im going to try to attend the end of the month meeting at the Foothill chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.