Poor Cooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
I found an injured Red Bellied Cooter today. Its about a foot long and had the front part of its shell gnawed on. Its back left leg was also bitten off from the knee down. It was allready starting to heal and seemed healthy weight wize. I put it back alongside the pond in a bush. It didnt seem to want to go back in the water. Even when I walked toward it it didnt make an attempt to go into the water. So when I put it back I placed it in a bush that was lining the pond to protect it from whatever tried to eat it the first time.

330520501893_0_0.jpg

Front
330520704517_0_0.jpg

Back Leg
330520973573_0_0.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Why wouldn't you have turned it in to your local wildlife rehabilitation center? They are all over the place---and alot of times, they have "people" that will take animals, and bring them to the shelter itself if it is far, or people that specialize in that animal.

I stopped last summer on the way home because a little girl, maybe seven at the most, was running down the sidewalk with a bird in her fist. It was a little wild sparrow and it was her new "pet". I told her very nicely that it needed to go home, and then took it, dragged out the phone book and called 3 or 4 numbers until I found the right one. A bird rehabber had picked her up within the next two hours.

If you can, go back. That animal should be treated so that it has a better chance of survival.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Trust me I wanted to. I was going to but the rents said no to me rehabing it. It broke my heart.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Yeah, they said no to you keeping it. It should go to a center that exists for this type of thing.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Do you still have the turtle? Call. They probably have some sort of transport. I am driving that little softie I rescued to Portage this weekend, its like a 2 hour drive one way. There are no rescues close to me either. But I will do what it takes to help.

latshki

5 Year Member
sometimes you must let nature take its course
it would be different if it was hit by a car or a dog had attacked it but who knows and if it dies it will be recycled by nature and surely wont go to waste that is the great thing about nature the leave no leftovers as everything is eventually re used

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe that if this was a natural animal attack, you should let nature take it's course, sad as it may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.