Poor Leopard Hatchling at a local pet store

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
Nick and I went into a local pet store today after work (Just Pets in Irving, NY) just to browse around and look for smaller logs/hides/etc for Tilly. We happened to see this little guy, pacing back and forth frantically. He's in a super tiny aquarium setup, probably 10 gallons (or maybe even less) if I had to guess. There are no hides of any kind. The food looks several days old. His substrate is...newspaper??!! I asked how much they are asking for the little guy, the owner said he is not big enough to sell but will be close to $400. That seemed awfully high to me, but what do I know? He appeared to be hungry and longing for somewhere to hide. Poor guy. After you view the pics of him (taken by my Blackberry), take a look at their lack-of-guarantee on reptiles. Yeah, they won't guarantee anything because they make sure they're pretty close to dying by the time someone actually buys them. I never really noticed how horrible pet stores (even local ones, such as this place) are to their animals. It disgusts me.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjItMjAxMDA2MDktMTY1O.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjUtMjAxMDA2MDktMTcwM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjAtMjAxMDA2MDktMTY1O.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjctMjAxMDA2MDktMTcwM.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I, personally, would like to see ALL pet stores blown to smithereens...after the animals are removed first:D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Would it really be that hard for the pet store to give this little guy some substate and a hide?! I thought Petsmart was bad. Grrrr....... Can you turn them in for animal neglect. Maybe call Peta. Anything to make these people as miserable as that poor baby.
Good luck.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Poor guy, He's so cute. It just breaks my heart to see him in a enclosure like that. Wish I could help.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He does not look that bad to me, of course I am no expert, he is probably pacing because of the glass, IMHO. I find it odd they guarante a vet check but not the quality of their animals. And yes I would take it also, but not 400 they are insane.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I don't know if he looks bad. I just see no reason for him to be in an enclosure like that. If nothing else they are not showing a buyer what he needs.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
EDUCATE, print out a care sheet and give it to them.. mail it if you dont want to in person.. highlight certain things.
It looks to me like he wants to get in the water, but cant...
needs some fresh food too.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
He may not look bad now but give them time, GRRRRR.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Laura. I get to see a lot of these places all over the country. About a third will get snotty with you, no matter what you say. About another third are indifferent or incredulous. The final third actually wants to hear it and cares. I've had them male the necessary changes right there in front of me. I've written down tortoiseforum.org on the back of a lot of pet store business cards in the last few months.

I spent many years in sales, so I know all about rejection and how to deal with it. Just go in there, do the right thing and hope for the best. If they show you to the door, the little tortoise is no worse off and you gave it your all. They might go get a brick of Bed-A-Beast off the shelf and a half log hide and stick it in there.

Leaving behind a care sheet is always good too. Sometimes they get very defensive and all hyped-up. After you've left and they've had some time to calm down, most of them will take a look at the care sheet out of curiosity. Good luck. If you don't want to do it, PM me and I'll call them from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.