Poor little guy

PMQ

image.jpg image.jpg He was in this tiny enclosure in petsmart just walking into the wall. He looks like a Russian, correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been looking for a tortoise from dealers and reputable sites, but I hate for him to be trapped in there..

Should I give him a better home? Or is starting with a younger tort better?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kimm91

I always say if you believe with everything you have that you can give an animal a better life then go for it but only if your 110%

Kimm :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Well if you've been looking and researching and everything, i'd say go for it. Franklin's from petco since I was looking for nearby breeders and gave up looking because shipping sounded scary. He was shy at first but really opened up and has quite the personality.
That's a really small enclosure!! At least he seems to be alone. And his being active, albeit stressed out, is a sign of health (at least he's not sitting in a corner snoozing all the time).
The only thing i'd say is prepare to have to bring him to a vet just in case he's acting off since the whole WC parasite thing or any other number of issues shipping may have brought up. Franklin came healthy though, i'd just be prepared.
I mean at the end of the day someones going to buy him, but that person may be more or less educated in care than you, but someone will buy him and eventually fuel the petstore to get another ot fill the place, so in my opinion you're not fueling the petstore to buy more since it'd happen anyways. If you fell for him go for it.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Colorado
Yes!!!!! I know people say don't buy tortoises and stuff from Petco and Petsmart and stuff because they're ill treated but I can't stand seeing them in tiny enclosures. I feel that we should adopt them so at least they have a shot at a good home:):tort::<3:

Kim444

5 Year Member
To be honest, my heart breaks for every pet in a pet store, however if you buy that pet to "save it" they just replace it with another one that will also need saving. It's a catch 22, that's why as hard as it is I never buy from a pet store. I adopt rescues, breeders is another great option. But if nobody ever bought from pet stores they would stop selling animals altogether.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
To be honest, my heart breaks for every pet in a pet store, however if you buy that pet to "save it" they just replace it with another one that will also need saving. It's a catch 22, that's why as hard as it is I never buy from a pet store. I adopt rescues, breeders is another great option. But if nobody ever bought from pet stores they would stop selling animals altogether.
Iknow what you say is true,but if i see 1 that needs rescuing i'll rescue it,no matter where it is

Oscar_Smith

Got a 4" Russian from Petco, and he came in good condition. I felt awful because three of them were in a small glass terrarium :(