Poor little thing got missed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
image.jpeg Just cleaning out an old indoor nesting spot. I had blocked it off last winter as the dirt sunk so much, the female would not had been able to get out of it.
I found this poor little thing upside down on top of the dirt. So it's been there since some time last year. I had no idea she had even laid in that portion of the nesting area. I feel so bad I missed it. I now need to get a flash light and dig further and see if there are anymore.
Sure hope not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is it alive?
No. It would have laid hatched there about a year give or take. Fully developed though. Because I wasn't using that section, I had blocked it off. The other nesting section she had connects to this one and she could had gotten into it but not out, so I had blocked it and couldn't see into it until now when I cleaned it out. This baby could have been laid in the nest spot left open and possibly crawled over and fell into the blocked section. I didn't find anymore eggs and there was just one little piece of shell on the side I found the baby. So bummed

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Too bad. It doesn't bear thinking about.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well during winter it would have been 80-85 but if laid in the blocked area, it would also have been dry.
Summer months it's usually a little cooler then outside temps.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/

If you scroll down a little, there's a section where food and hydration are discussed. You might consider reading that, since without those two key components, it probably took several weeks or more for it to starve to death. RIP
I do know how to care for tortoises and hatchlings. The egg was totally missed when I collected them from the nest. Didn't do it on purpose and if I had know it was there, I sure wouldn't have left it. He was found on his back and most likely fell into the area he was found. I doubt he lasted long before passing.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/

If you scroll down a little, there's a section where food and hydration are discussed. You might consider reading that, since without those two key components, it probably took several weeks or more for it to starve to death. RIP

jtrux, your just being mean, funny, but mean.

Yvonne is right, learn and move on.

A few months back found some ground hatched sulcatas from an unknown nest. Searched for the nest for days, found it weeks later, dug it up, found five more babies that didn't get out with the first bunch, they were still living but one by one have failed to pull through, The nest chamber was 20 inches below ground level, just to deep and hard for individuals to get out. They were stuck for weeks. It is sad, but playing with nature is like that some times.

N

no one

Horrible!! Sorry, little baby tort. If only we knew everything...