Poor Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I'm sorry, but I have to post this because I am so upset right now. I just got back from Petsmart (buying a cuttlebone for Dale) and I also wanted to visit a Redfoot that I had seen there before just to see if someone had bought him or not. When I saw him the first time (about 2 months ago) I felt so sorry for him because they had him in a little enclosure so I asked the guy if I could see him (he is about 12 inches long). The guy told me that they take him out at night and let him walk around in a bigger area so he can get exercise. Now tonight when I went he is still there, but in a bigger area (not much bigger) but now they have lighting all around him and he has no hide and no moss only mulch. To me he doesn't look as healthy as he did before. They had a couple of crickets in his tank and the dry tortoise food. No humidity. They had water, but none he could actually soak in. I had to leave. I came home and told my husband that I would buy him, but then they would just replace him with another so that won't solve the problem. Tomorrow I'm going to write a letter to the manager of the store and also email their corporate office. What else can I do? Sorry, just had to get it off of my chest. :( Candy

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Candy, I sent you a PM. Unfortunately, their torts aren't the only critters not well cared for. I'm sorry to hear he/she hasn't found a good home.

Dawna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
galvinkaos said:
Candy, I sent you a PM. Unfortunately, their torts aren't the only critters not well cared for. I'm sorry to hear he/she hasn't found a good home.

Dawna

Thanks, I'd love that. I sent you a pm also, but since it's my first time sending one I don't know if you'll recieve it or not. Candy

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I got it. But I was just told I have petsmart and petco confused. But I'll still check I think I have it in the computer at work.

Dawna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
To me they're both the same. The Petco that I go to sometimes has two Russians that I go to see also. Worst conditions. Isn't there any organization that checks on these places to make sure they stay up to standards with taking care of the animals in their store? Candy

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Unfortunately it is only the usual animal control/ASPCA/orwhatever they call it in your area. They are not reptile educated either. Look at the conditions they keep them in at shelters. I saw a RES in a wire cage in a shelter once. No water at all.

Dawna

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Your best bet would be to do what you did.. and maybe contact the manager at that store and take care sheet info for that species.
Animal Control can be contacted, but Dawna is right.. a lot of them dont know about the proper care of all species.. it might put a bit of pressure on the the store tho.. I'd start with mangagment. if no change or reception is taken poorly.. then go to corporate, and publicly if you have to. Craiglist.. Media..

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
My brother bought our tortoise for my son. When I went back to the store, it looked like they housed our greek along with a russian and a redfoot in about a 40-50 gallon aquarium :-(

Evan

M

Maggie Cummings

What I have done in the past is to print out a care sheet for whatever species it is that's not getting the correct care and take them to the manager. Then you go back everyday and let them know you are there until they change the care for that animal. Be the squeaky wheel. Remember be nice at first, not rude or pushy...but you keep going back everyday and make your presence known...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have gotten to the point if I have to go to a pet store for something I don't look at any of the animals anymore...it's just too upsetting anymore...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are a few things to keep in mind with pet shops...

1. They only keep the animals for a short time, so figure that they can tolerate some over-crowding and sub-standard conditions for a reasonable time. This is the logic behind overcrowded fish tanks, small puppy cages, etc.

2. The above is not considered abuse by the authorities or management, and in point of fact does not generally seem to negatively impact the animals in many cases. Red-foots, for example, are pretty hardy- a short time in the habitat you describe probably won't badly affect an adult tortoise.

3. Management of pet shops get a lot of 'hate mail', and generally respond to it with form letters, if at all. The situation is complicated by the fact that most of them have to follow corporate guidelines in cares.

4. On the other hand, they DO respond to concerned inquiries from knowledgeable parties. If you can get your local herp society, vet, university herp or zoo dept, etc. to write a letter of concern about a pattern of mis-cares, they often respond very differently.

5. If you need to go to the big guns, try the local investigative TV reporter. Big chains are used to small storms- the sort of minor controversy craigslist, most websites, PETA, etc. can generate. organizing a boycott that will hurt over reptile care will be tough as well.

6. An alternative strategy that often works- get to know their 'reptile person'. Buy Reptiles magazine and small stuff to have an excuse to meet them. Find a herp club person who knows an 'insider', etc. Your 'insider' may be able to get things changed, or sell you the tort at a great discount- some people have gotten free animals this way, especially if it is visibly ill).

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Excellent suggestions from both Maggie and Madkins007. Candy I thought of this thread as I drove up Fremont today. I figured that had to be the store you were at. If I hadn't been like 2 hours behind on my day I wanted to stop and make some comments about the situation too. I figured if more than 1 customer commented on it they might take notice. Let me know if that is the location. I am over there at least a couple times a week for work. I work "out in the field" and am all over the San Gabriel valley. Oh by the way, the pet store I PM'd you about got a new order of cuttlebones. 5-6 inches again and still only .60 cents each.

Dawna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
galvinkaos said:
Excellent suggestions from both Maggie and Madkins007. Candy I thought of this thread as I drove up Fremont today. I figured that had to be the store you were at. If I hadn't been like 2 hours behind on my day I wanted to stop and make some comments about the situation too. I figured if more than 1 customer commented on it they might take notice. Let me know if that is the location. I am over there at least a couple times a week for work. I work "out in the field" and am all over the San Gabriel valley. Oh by the way, the pet store I PM'd you about got a new order of cuttlebones. 5-6 inches again and still only .60 cents each.

Dawna

That is the Petsmart store on Fremont. It's actually pretty clean for a petstore. I just wish they would know what they were doing with all pets (that should be why they call theyselves a petstore don't you think). I can't wait for you to see the Redfoot. It's actually a nice looking one it just looks kindof dry now. It's pretty big also. I'm going to go to that petstore that you recommended probably this week. I want to see it. Candy :)

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
It is a small store. They rarely carry kittens and puppies. They have 4 hand fed cockatiels right now and a bunny rabbit. They do carry weird bugs-centipedes, spiders,roaches and alot of reptiles. Geckos, anoles, frogs, snakes, dragons, etc. They also have an old pair of bearded dragons that live there.

Last time I was in they had a mississippi map hatchling and 2 chinese white/cream colored water tortoises (unknown to me what species) hatchlings. Very cute. They also had a leopard baby and a sulcata baby. Good thing I already have the kids or I would have bought that sulcata in a heart beat. :D

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.