Poorly baby russian tortoise.

sidneysuki

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hi. I was given a baby 4 week old russian tortoise about ten days ago. I am aware that most breeders do not sell baby tortoises so young, however she (we think she is a she) was a gift to me from a family member. I already have a two year old russian male tortoise so I aware of how to take care of tortoises and they are living separaretly. The first day she moved in with us she was fine and ate a little and just explored her new environment. However, she very quickly became poorly. The next few days she barely moved, didn't eat or anything. We thought maybe she was just settling into her new home although she then started blowing bubbles from her mouth and sticking her neck out really far and gasping for breath. I googled it and the symptons were respiratory infection. So, we rushed her to the vets and he gave her an injection and presricbed her with Baytril. She has been taking the antibiotic for four days now and she hasn't really improved. We are bathing her and she only opens her eyes when shes being soaked. I have read somewhere that this medication can make the tortoises really lethargic and it can give them bad reactions. She hasn't eaten in around a week now and I'm so worried for her. She is still doing open mouthed breathing sometimes and sticking her neck out far and making squeaking noises however maybe not as much?? I'm not sure whether to stop giving her the medication as it can give negative side affects and can be very harsh. she is walking around a little bit, more than she was the first few days. I just don't know whether it is making her worse or actually helping. Please let me know if you can give us any advice xxx

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Oh poor thing. Sorry you are both going through this. The best thing to do is to keep her temperatures a bit higher than normal. 27 degrees during the night and in the coolest part of her enclosure, 37-38 degrees under the basking lamp. Soak her everyday in warm water for up to an hour. Keep the water warm with the heat lamp. You can add carrot baby food to the warm soak water. She will get some nutrients this way. Hydration and warmth are the key for her recovery.
I can't say wether to keep on with antibiotics. I guess I probably would for now. Good luck!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hoping she makes it, but if not, you sure did your best for her!