Poorly Little Horsfield

Rachel Jackson

Location (City and/or State)
Preston, England, Lancashire UK
Brilliant!!

- Its there a certain brand that is better than the others with regards to the MVB bulb (link or something would be helpful so I know to but the right one lol!) What watt does this need to be?
- if he sleeps in his house (like a wooden large box) aren't I best putting the CHE in there otherwise he's just going to be just as cold?
- I got someone to cut me some plexi glass so Im just going to cover with that (than hang the lights over this)
- Yes I am bathing him regularly.

So can I just check that I am fine just buying this equipment that I don't need ANYTHING else?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Brilliant!!

- Its there a certain brand that is better than the others with regards to the MVB bulb (link or something would be helpful so I know to but the right one lol!) What watt does this need to be?
- if he sleeps in his house (like a wooden large box) aren't I best putting the CHE in there otherwise he's just going to be just as cold?
- I got someone to cut me some plexi glass so Im just going to cover with that (than hang the lights over this)
- Yes I am bathing him regularly.

So can I just check that I am fine just buying this equipment that I don't need ANYTHING else?

The Powersun by ZooMed is a good MVB. Arcadia is also a high quality brand. I would start with a 160 watt since you have a nice large table there. This will give your tortoise a larger basking area and warm side.

If the CHE is in the middle and set on a thermostat, It should warm the whole enclosure, including the hide area. Some people need to hang two CHEs to get the job doe over a larger area. I run two CHEs in each of my large 4x8' closed chambers.

The plexi cover sound like a great idea. That should help hold in some heat and moderate humidity.

We can't say whether you'll need anything else. You'll have to run it for a bit and use your thermometer to see if you are achieving the conditions you wish to provide. If yes, then you are done. If not, then adjustments will need to be made.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi again Rachel,
My sister went to the Harris college in Preston - don't know if is still called that now
where she met my BiL who is from Leyland and settled there, so I know the Preston area very well
- or at least I did until they had to move with his job at British Leyland..
I loved visiting the area and shopping in the St George Centre.
Hope you are getting to grips with everything.
It is very daunting trying to get it all right. I was in at the deep end with my tort but this place sorted me out!
So you and your tort are in good hands.
Tom is a very experienced keeper whom we have all learned from, but if there is anything you need clarified
or have any questions don't be afraid to ask. No one will mind - we all love torts and want the best for them.
Good luck

Rachel Jackson

Hi Lyn Yeah preston Is still very much the same nothing every changes in this place!!

I know just so thankful for everyone taking their time to comment and read through my Many queries!!! Just nice to know that people are genuine and actually just want to help out!!!

Thank you again hopefully i'll be set up and ready etc. But the good thing is, is that corey is eating again and being more active which was my main concern so at least that's out the way just need to get the enclosure CORRECT for him!!

Thank you again everyone I really do appreciate it :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Lyn Yeah preston Is still very much the same nothing every changes in this place!!

I know just so thankful for everyone taking their time to comment and read through my Many queries!!! Just nice to know that people are genuine and actually just want to help out!!!

Thank you again hopefully i'll be set up and ready etc. But the good thing is, is that corey is eating again and being more active which was my main concern so at least that's out the way just need to get the enclosure CORRECT for him!!

Thank you again everyone I really do appreciate it :)

That's GREAT news!:) Keep up the good work.;)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is the correct bulb im finding it difficult to find the MVB bulb?
Am I right n thinking its called the Arcadia D3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcadia-D...B-Bulb-/121200683145?var=&hash=item1c381fa889
That looks the same as mine only mine is called the Arcadia mini D3 and is stocked by Pets at Home from about £39.(that's what I paid for the 80w bulb - higher wattage may be more)

Maybe mine is a smaller version I really don't know but you need to check cos you may have to buy a bigger dome for it. Maybe search for the Mini and compare what it says with that. Amazon stock them too.
I use the wide rather than the deep dome with mine as some people think the deep ones cause them to overheat and burn out too quickly.
Also check out The Range for CHE and thermostat to compare prices.

Last edited:

Rachel Jackson

Warm side - is this the part that is covered by the MVB Bulb.......... Temp should be?

Cool side- Is this just the "General air???" Temp should be???

Basking side - ceramic light 95-100 Degrees

Night side- Ceramic light 60w should be around 80 degrees (NO LIGHT)

Getting there...... slowly but every so surely!!!!

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Hello

Im new to the site so you have to bare with me as I get use to it!

So I have a beautiful Baby horse- field tortoise Corey. He's only a baby probably about 9 months old now. When we got him he was a bundle of joy always out and about active, eating etc. I did my research before setting his home up so I knew I needed everything he needed

I went on holiday a few week ago and he was looked after by the parents....... and I don't know if this has unsettled him? He has totally gone off his food and just isn't himself. Regardless of what food I leave out and encourage him to eat he has a few nibbles and that's it off he goes back to sleep. He use to love being under his basking light and even that he's not interested in it.

Im bathing him regularly to ensure that he's getting water etc as he never really goes anywhere near his water bowl.
He normally poo's when he bathes but this hasn't happened for weeks!!

Also ive noticed that he regularly "Misses" his food when he does try to eat...... Like he cant see it properly he will go to bite but sometimes its mid air so I don't know if this has something to with his not eating

Ive not taken him to the vets as of yet I wanted some advice from other people (As I don't always trust Vets!!!)

Any help would be appreciated :)

Rachel

View attachment 151473
You got a lot of great advice here after your post but I just wanted to add that I have seen my male Russian do some of the actions you described (biting in thin air, "missing" food) and then it just goes away. Also, my male is afraid of strangers-this could have influenced the behavior. Meanwhile, glad to see you have followed the advice given by so many of this forum. (I caught this post late; sorry!)

Rachel Jackson

Hi Everyone!!!

So ive bought my bulb and wow what a difference its really heating the tank up which is great, but is it ok as it seems very bright. Am I right in thinking this stays on during the duration on the day.
- Please can you advise what the Temp for the enclosure should be (just So I know if I am setting me thermostat correctly)

I have also use the plexi cover aswell which is supporting helping to keep the heat in.
With regards to the "Night heat" am I ok to leave his basking light on to ensure that the temp is still ok etc?

He still seems to be sleeping a lot....... but im just bathing him daily which is also helping him eat too?

Any advise would be great!

Thank you!

IMG_4664.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone!!!

So ive bought my bulb and wow what a difference its really heating the tank up which is great, but is it ok as it seems very bright. Am I right in thinking this stays on during the duration on the day.
- Please can you advise what the Temp for the enclosure should be (just So I know if I am setting me thermostat correctly)

I have also use the plexi cover aswell which is supporting helping to keep the heat in.
With regards to the "Night heat" am I ok to leave his basking light on to ensure that the temp is still ok etc?

He still seems to be sleeping a lot....... but im just bathing him daily which is also helping him eat too?

Any advise would be great!

Thank you!
My female likes it a bit warmer for basking but my male and the general consensus goes for 90 at substrate level, 95 at area around top of carapace, then the "cool side" mid '70s or tad lower and for overnight, keeping around 68 seems to then be cool enough to later on "force them out" to bask after the basking light comes on to bask and go through what they should be doing, regarding eating, exercise, basking, etc. This procedure at least works for me and got a tortoise that wasn't always doing the right routine for his own health to finally do it. Depending on enclosures, how the heat/UVB bulb is situated can regulate the rest of the said enclosure so every scenario is different. Can you test the various areas with either a cheap reptile strip thermometer or a temperature gun? I play little games with the thermostat in the room they're in to make it all work-fortunately I have 2-zone heat as I, for instance, sleep in 78 degrees and in the morning, when they are up downstairs. All these temperatures I reference are obviously Fahrenheit, by the way! I can't tell from your photo, but are they getting enough air? (This breed needs it.) How wide is the plexiglas? Also, is the MVB bulb (assuming it is one) getting through and not obstructed towards the tortoise?

Rachel Jackson

Hi Everyone!!!

So I took on your advice but I am still having problems!!

- I bought the thermostat but im having problems (If i set it to a certain temp the light cut's off it's like there isn't enough energy getting to the bulb) please advise what I can use to resolve this issue!
- My tortoise is sleeping ALL the time, I am resulting in giving him Daily Baths, just to ensure that he's getting water and actual having some movement. If I left him he would literally sleep the WHOLE day. He goes into one corner and stays there...... until I have to wake him up! Im also having to hand feed him, he's not interest in the food at all (Until I encourage him and he's hand fed)...... I do think his eyes are some form of damaged due to the old bulb that was being used, they seem "Bulky" when he's waking up but after about half a hour they seem to go down (Ive uploaded a photo) is there ANYTHING that can be done, even when he's roaming in his water you can see him rubbing his eyes. I REALLY NEED ADVICE WITH THIS!
Please can I check:-
- what should the "warm area be"
- what should the "basking spot be"
- what should the "cool area be"
- What should the nite temp be (Can the basking lamp be used to heat the enclosure?)

Would you advice seeking Vet Medical attention?

As always thank you EVERYONE!!

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 8
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 8

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
With the light, some of these bulbs cut off when overheating; is the socket it's in OK for the type of bulb?
The daily baths (attention) could be scaring him into hiding all the time. I'm sorry I don't know about very
young tortoise husbandry. As I have two-zone heat and like it warm myself but they overnight need some
10 degrees Fahrenheit lower, for 4 inch and larger Russian torts, I keep the basking area (again in
Fahrenheit) 90 at substrate, 95 at top of shell, their "cool side" is around 75 or tad less during day and
evening and overnight it drops at a "low" to around 67/68. This nighttime temperature cycle forces them out
to bask. If and when it is necessary to keep an enclosure warmer at night due to a heating failure or
whatever, one of the reptile "red" bulbs or "blue" bulbs that emit heat but don't provide light that may
confuse the torts as being daytime (thus also "daytime with cool" may evoke a hibernation mode in them.)

Dianne-

Did you put youre Light on a thermostat?

Youre Light should be on a timer.
Daytime lightbulb heats enclosure.

Youre che ceramic heat element should be on a thermostat.
So if the lightbulb doesnt get the heat up in daytime it can help and nighttime when youre lights go out it kicks in to keep temperature up.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
To Rachel: I sent you a message yesterday by way of what the forum refers to as a "Conversation" for additional resources that may help. Check your Inbox or "Alert" tab.