Poorly Russian Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r164dab

5 Year Member
Please can someone help me? My husband brought home a Russian Tortoise today as a friend for our other Russian Tortoise who we have had for a couple of years. The new tortoise's shell is raised and bumpy, is this normal?

Thank you in advance
Lindsey

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lindsey:

Welcome to the forum!!

You should keep the new tortoise separate from your existing tortoise for a month or so just to be sure you don't infect your tortoise with some sort of illness. It would be a good idea to take a fecal sample from each tortoise for examination by the vet too.

Bumpy shell just means that the tortoise hasn't had the best of care previously. In other types of tortoise it means that it was kept too dry, but in russians it usually means they haven't been fed right and have had no sunshine.

May we know where you are?

r164dab

5 Year Member
Thank you for your advice.

My name is Lindsey, I live in Bridlington, I am 28 years old and love tortoises. I'm currently trying to find a new enclosure for my tortoises, I don't like the small enclosures, it just doesn't feel right keeping them cooped up. We have a huge enclosure in the garden where my tortoise Tortilla spends time in the summer!

emysemys said:
Hi Lindsey:

Welcome to the forum!!

You should keep the new tortoise separate from your existing tortoise for a month or so just to be sure you don't infect your tortoise with some sort of illness. It would be a good idea to take a fecal sample from each tortoise for examination by the vet too.

Bumpy shell just means that the tortoise hasn't had the best of care previously. In other types of tortoise it means that it was kept too dry, but in russians it usually means they haven't been fed right and have had no sunshine.

May we know where you are?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Lindsey and welcome :D. Unfortunately "pyramiding" is all to common....it is however not normal nor desired....there are likely tons of causes that give this affect...however, the little guy likely could use a change of whatever diet he was kept on...but not too much because rapid growth is not desired....he likely needs a better living enclosure than what he was kept on...appropriate uv rays/heat/moisture....in your thread that is your concern which would lead me to believe whatever you are doing for your first tortoise must be working....as you have one you are comparing the new one to....I don't think you will want to put them in the same enclosure for awhile just to make sure the new one is aok health wise...have fun...they are very cute :D

r164dab

5 Year Member
Thank you for your reply, I just spoke to my husband who said it was in a tiny glass enclosure with a few other tortoises, its awful. :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And post pictures of your outdoor enclosure soon, as we all like to see those! Good advice on this forum, I learn every day.
Your new tort is lucky! :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.