poorly tortie

janiceh

Location (City and/or State)
uk
I have had my boy 46 years. He had a ear infection 30+ years ago which was left with a perminant scab other than that he has a mind of his own lives in garden/shed.we are in uk but boy never had heat as didnt know about things those days. He was unwell 4 weeks ago just kept going to bed. Went to an experienced vet.He did bloods they showed high white cell count and was I sure he male as high calcium no treatment started.He picked up -bathed with reptoboost. then things went down again and ear started discharging not eating sleepy-back to vet started marbocyl 4 days ago. Very flat overweek end. He has heat-bathed-given fluids.started eating little.yesterday he is swollen- top end-head disappearing in odema. Ive called vet- do I continue with antibiotic. been told to watch termperature in house and call tomorrow and may need go in but im nurse and can sit with him all day .The change in past 2 months- new house - in hay-heating and all my fault took in elderly ladies tortoise as no longer able to care for her !! help please dont want lose my boy- he called sue (sold as female)thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Janice, and welcome to the Forum!

It's quite difficult to understand your post because of no punctuation.

Do you mean to say that you took in a tortoise from an old lady and put it in with your boy? This is never a good idea unless you have a 3 to 6 month quarantine period.

You say he want flat? I'm guessing you mean the portion around the ear area? But now its swollen again?

I would continue the antibiotic. Soak the tortoise daily for at least a half hour (antibiotics are hard on the kidneys). Keep him warmer than usual. It's a good idea to set a sick tortoise up in a smaller hospital tank and warm it up to at least 85F degrees.

Good luck. It would be a shame to lose a tortoise you've had for that length of time.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

janiceh

uk
Yvonne, sorry .written in desperation.In flat I mean he really didnt want to move or do anything.I warmed him, soaked him and took hours to encourage him to eat. a little the first day. a little more the next then this swelling started yesterday. He did move more yesterday and seemed back to stubborn mood but today we have gone backwards and swelling persisted. Ate a little but wanted to sleep.

janiceh

uk
Hi, really hard to explain.

If you look at them head on. the fleshy bit around the head and top of legs swollen. His head is not swollen and neither are any legs. Its like he has been pumped up. Just given him a soak and antibiotics for today. checked weight and its unchanged.

When he withdraws his head it is disappearing into flesh.

janiceh

uk
My old boy is eating by himself. Lets hope we have turned the corner as I am exhausted spending all my time trying to encourage him but hes more than worth it.