Poorly tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliviaB

5 Year Member
Hi there, I am looking after my friend's tortoise, I think its a boy as he has been given a boy's name. He is quite young I think but not too sure of his age. My friend has gone on holiday and since she has gone he doesnt appear to be too well. Before she left she said he seemed a bit dopey and thought he could be getting ready for hibernation but I dont think so. He has stopped eating and when I put his light on the other day he squeeked like he didnt like it. When I touch his back legs he makes no effort to withdraw them into his shell. I have given him two warm baths and he seems to perk up a bit, then I put him in his bed with the light on but thats where he stays. Today I gave him a lukewarm bath and he put his head under water and moved his front legs across his face. I thought he may be having a wash but I wonder if he has a problem with his eyes after reading up about his symptoms. The other day one eye was open the other shut but he opened it eventually. He seemed to blow bubbles when he put his head under water too, I then kept my hand under his shell so that he didnt let his head fall into the water. My friend used to put him in an enclosure in the garden but a couple of times when she has been at work I have taken him in when it is getting dark and it may have been raining. I wonder if he has a respiratory infection or a cold? She is due home in the next couple of days but I feel so sorry for the little man. Any help please??

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Do you know what kind of tort it is or do you have a picture that you can show us? If you have a chance can you set him outside and see if he perks up then? Sometimes if Bowser is acting lazy having her outside usually does the trick. Can't beat natural sunlight. When my tort drinks she dunks her head into the water. So if she has a sulcata that is normal. What are the temps that he is kept in? Sounds like you are trying to take care the best you can of him :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Not more to add, any photo's will help with what kind of tortoise and then that will help with giving you the best advise...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Not more to add either, except photos would get us further along, enclosure too. And temps on cool and warm side.
Does not sound too promising, you might want to be prepared to speak to your friend if a vet seems necessary.
Too bad you are in this spot.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the forum :D

The species of tortoise would be helpful. The incident you mentioned about turning on the light and him responding with a squeak does not sound unusual...he was likely simply startled by the sudden light...

Not withdrawing his legs...unto itself is not something to yet freak out about, as age and species will also be needed to help figure out if this is a bad thing or not....

Head under water when drinking is a normal tortoise behavior, just make certain that the container you are soaking him in is shallow enough for him, as you say he is young, the water level should be low enough for the water to come to where his top/bottom shell meet...this way he is allowed to dunk his head to drink or to lift it out if he does not want to...

Bubbles from the nose while or after soaking is not the same as random bubbles and lethargy..

I would also let the friend know the condition of her tortoise so she is aware and ask her what she would instruct you to do....

Species and housing/heating conditions will be needed to give better help from us here....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi OliviaB:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

We'll need to know what kind of tortoise it is, because different types take different care.

May we know where you are?

OliviaB

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi OliviaB:

We'll need to know what kind of tortoise it is, because different types take different care.

Hi there, I am in England, how do I upload a photo on here?

Livvy

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
When you go to reply....scroll to the bottom and you will find the place to select the file you have the photo in and then you can add the photo......I hope I explained ok :D

OliviaB

5 Year Member
IMG_0275.JPG
OliviaB said:
Hi there, I am looking after my friend's tortoise, I think its a boy as he has been given a boy's name. He is quite young I think but not too sure of his age. My friend has gone on holiday and since she has gone he doesnt appear to be too well. Before she left she said he seemed a bit dopey and thought he could be getting ready for hibernation but I dont think so. He has stopped eating and when I put his light on the other day he squeeked like he didnt like it. When I touch his back legs he makes no effort to withdraw them into his shell. I have given him two warm baths and he seems to perk up a bit, then I put him in his bed with the light on but thats where he stays. Today I gave him a lukewarm bath and he put his head under water and moved his front legs across his face. I thought he may be having a wash but I wonder if he has a problem with his eyes after reading up about his symptoms. The other day one eye was open the other shut but he opened it eventually. He seemed to blow bubbles when he put his head under water too, I then kept my hand under his shell so that he didnt let his head fall into the water. My friend used to put him in an enclosure in the garden but a couple of times when she has been at work I have taken him in when it is getting dark and it may have been raining. I wonder if he has a respiratory infection or a cold? She is due home in the next couple of days but I feel so sorry for the little man. Any help please??

Last edited by a moderator:

OliviaB

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi OliviaB:

Hi Yvonne I am in England. I have attempted to upload a photo of Norman. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 23

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Livvy:

What kind of heat source do you have for the tortoise? He needs to be at LEAST 80 degrees (sorry about the farenheit, too old to learn metric) in order to digest his food. But hotter would even be better.

OliviaB

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Livvy:

What kind of heat source do you have for the tortoise? He needs to be at LEAST 80 degrees (sorry about the farenheit, too old to learn metric) in order to digest his food. But hotter would even be better.

Hi there, thanks for replying, I just checked his box and it is a 60 watt 240v lamp. I left it on for most of the day today. Still not eating. His owner is back on Tuesday morning. I just hope he is ok until then. :(

OliviaB

5 Year Member
OliviaB said:

Thanks for your replies, I have posted a photo, does this help in any way?
xx

ascott said:
Welcome to the forum :D

The species of tortoise would be helpful. The incident you mentioned about turning on the light and him responding with a squeak does not sound unusual...he was likely simply startled by the sudden light...

Not withdrawing his legs...unto itself is not something to yet freak out about, as age and species will also be needed to help figure out if this is a bad thing or not....

Head under water when drinking is a normal tortoise behavior, just make certain that the container you are soaking him in is shallow enough for him, as you say he is young, the water level should be low enough for the water to come to where his top/bottom shell meet...this way he is allowed to dunk his head to drink or to lift it out if he does not want to...

Bubbles from the nose while or after soaking is not the same as random bubbles and lethargy..

I would also let the friend know the condition of her tortoise so she is aware and ask her what she would instruct you to do....

Species and housing/heating conditions will be needed to give better help from us here....

See photo. Many thanks x

Status
Not open for further replies.