Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just a quick note about clamp lights:

A while ago I bought a couple of the clamp light fixtures by Zoo Med. They have a porcelain base, but they also have an on/off switch in the cord. The one above at Tractor Supply does not have the on/off switch.

I have a large heated night box in a greenhouse and three tortoises live in there. We are having quite a few overcast days, and when the sun doesn't shine, the inside of the greenhouse is just as cold as it is outside, usually in the low 50s, upper 40s, so I rigged up a light fixture near the feeding station on the floor of the greenhouse and placed a 250 watt brooder bulb in the Zoo Med fixture.

Last night when I went in there to make sure all the tortoises were in the night box so I could close and latch their door, the switch in the cord wouldn't turn the light off, and the switch was VERY hot. So I had to unplug it instead. Today I replaced that fixture with one from Tractor Supply. It's going to be inconvenient to have to unplug the cord at night and re-plug it in the morning, but I think that will be safer than one with a hot switch.

Besides that, the Zoo Med fixture is $20 and the regular price of the fixture at Tractor Supply is only $11. But it's on sale right now for $8.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just a quick note about clamp lights:

A while ago I bought a couple of the clamp light fixtures by Zoo Med. They have a porcelain base, but they also have an on/off switch in the cord. The one above at Tractor Supply does not have the on/off switch.

I have a large heated night box in a greenhouse and three tortoises live in there. We are having quite a few overcast days, and when the sun doesn't shine, the inside of the greenhouse is just as cold as it is outside, usually in the low 50s, upper 40s, so I rigged up a light fixture near the feeding station on the floor of the greenhouse and placed a 250 watt brooder bulb in the Zoo Med fixture.

Last night when I went in there to make sure all the tortoises were in the night box so I could close and latch their door, the switch in the cord wouldn't turn the light off, and the switch was VERY hot. So I had to unplug it instead. Today I replaced that fixture with one from Tractor Supply. It's going to be inconvenient to have to unplug the cord at night and re-plug it in the morning, but I think that will be safer than one with a hot switch.

Besides that, the Zoo Med fixture is $20 and the regular price of the fixture at Tractor Supply is only $11. But it's on sale right now for $8.
Are you sure the fixture is suited for 250 watt bulb?

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
Look at the Q&A on Tractor Supply. ((I was wondering as well, so I did..hehe ;) )) One of the answers is up to a 300Watt. And even gives a link to a 250watt bulb that they carry,

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The Tractor Supply I shop at has the on off switch on their $11 on sale for $8 fixtures, you would think since they are nationwide they all would have the switch.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
They also sell these at Walmart by me.