Port Charlotte, FL Repticon

SWFLTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Bonita Springs, FL
Has anyone been to this show, and if so do they typically have tortoises? It's a bit of a drive for me, and I was hoping to get a heads up.

Thanks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you go take pics or else :)

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Been to a few Repticons and they’re OK. Expect to see mostly ball pythons and leopard geckos. These shows are for breeders and generally torts don’t breed fast enough or in the various color morphs that snakes and lizards do to be as profitable. If they do have torts they’re usually Redfoots and sulcatas, especially in Florida. Daytona breeders expo in mid August is the one to go to.

SWFLTortoise

Bonita Springs, FL
Been to a few Repticons and they’re OK. Expect to see mostly ball pythons and leopard geckos. These shows are for breeders and generally torts don’t breed fast enough or in the various color morphs that snakes and lizards do to be as profitable. If they do have torts they’re usually Redfoots and sulcatas, especially in Florida. Daytona breeders expo in mid August is the one to go to.
Thanks. We're going to go check it out so I'll report back.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I bought my sully from a repticon expecting to only to look. The guy had a impressive setup and looked professional. I bought a sully and the convenicon setup enclosure.
Told me a few things to feed him. Sounded easy enough. Come to find out he was just a pet store owner with the wrong info. TFO got me on the right track. We have some great breeders here with all the updated information.
P.S. I am not a breeder.

SWFLTortoise

Bonita Springs, FL
We went today and had a good time. My estimate was 60% snakes, 30% lizards and 10% everything else.

One seller had a variety of hatchling tortoises and turtles as well as a few adult yellow foot. They has Leopards ($159), Marginated ($149), Herman's ($149), Elongated ($149), and Red Foot.

A couple other vendors had hatchling and juvenile redfoot and sulcatas.

Equipment was reasonably priced. Fair amount of vendors, and quite a lot of attendees.

It was better than I expected for a small town show.

Admission was $10.

20190518_112842.jpg 20190518_113100.jpg 20190518_112933.jpg 20190518_113015.jpg 20190518_113131.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
We went today and had a good time. My estimate was 60% snakes, 30% lizards and 10% everything else.

One seller had a variety of hatchling tortoises and turtles as well as a few adult yellow foot. They has Leopards ($159), Marginated ($149), Herman's ($149), Elongated ($149), and Red Foot.

A couple other vendors had hatchling and juvenile redfoot and sulcatas.

Equipment was reasonably priced. Fair amount of vendors, and quite a lot of attendees.

It was better than I expected for a small town show.

Admission was $10.

View attachment 272447 View attachment 272448 View attachment 272449 View attachment 272450 View attachment 272451
The repticon I went to was good also. I didn't want to misrepresent repticon shows with my post. I went to the display with the most people around and everyone was handling the sulcatas. As I walked thru there was vendors there that wouldn't let you handle the reptiles. I thought that they were being rude. Even after hearing one of them say no to a little kid. Saying he didn't want any cross contamination. I thought to myself what ever you grouchy man. Now being a little more informed I understand he was just trying to protect his inventory. It was in Melbourne Florida. If it was one of our members. SORRY :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not to be mean but I wouldn't let little kids handle my :tort: either. Probably no adults either. To much risk IMHO dropping them.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Not to be mean but I wouldn't let little kids handle my :tort: either. Probably no adults either. To much risk IMHO dropping them.
Oh yeah I didn't think about that also. I know when my grandchildren pick up Opo. I get nervous. I finally decided pictures of them with Opo were better next to each other.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's interesting to see what people on the other side of the country are wearing!

It looks like it was a nice show. Clean area. I like the plastic mesh over the tortoises so the vendor doesn't have to have an eagle eye on the stock at every moment.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
When I first started vending reptile shows I tried really hard to be the guy that would let people handle his animals. I always had hand sanitizer at the ready because of contamination concerns and even still I got to the point where I had to tell people no because I would spend all day keeping an eye on the kids holding my animals and end up neglecting other people with questions