Portal Changes and Social Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
Some of you may have noticed some streamlining of the Tortoise Forum Portal Page. The Twitter widget was removed (I think we had about 5 re-tweets total) but you can still follow Tortoise Forum. Current threads are posted there periodically and it's nice to read if you already use Twitter.
The Facebook plugin is a bit bigger now and even features a couple of faces of random folks who have "Liked" us on Facebook. Everyone should click over to the Tortoise Forum Portal Page and "Like" Tortoise Forum right now! ;)
I've heard your feedback on a chatroom/shoutbox and I'm working on a solution that will make that possible and not overload our new server. I'm also looking into getting a universal app for mobile users developed.
Stay tuned!...

Oh, and this :tort: little guy is accessible to all now! Just use the following:
Code:
:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some of us are NOT on Facebook, and don't care to be!!!:p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
tort

test

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
tort

test

:tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:

That's colon, tort, colon - or just click on the little tortoise in the smiley face box!!! :p

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
(tort)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Josh said:
I'm also looking into getting a universal app for mobile users developed.

Sweet! That would work great with my Droid and/or my iPad 2 coming next week!

I know there is also forum type apps out there that maybe you can look into. You can get a hold of the developer to integrate tortoise forum.

One of the more popular ones is called "Tapatalk"

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Josh, I really like the idea of the universal app for smart phone :D!
And I love the tort :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :D

Same here Yvonne, I am not on Facebook. I think my hubby and I are the only ones of our friends who are not on FB lol, I am more of the "Tortoise forum type" lol ;)

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I don't do much with my mobile facebook unless I am out and about and change my status or add a picture. I would love a universal app for my IPhone. Not sure if this was a serious gesture, but I would love to check up on the forum when I travel. Not always easy to do from laptop.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
I was asking about a mobile interface, not facebook. There are a number of options for either installing a mobile stylesheet so the forum has a mobile feel in iPhone & droid browsers. Or, a plugin to make the forum compatible with iPhone apps like forum runner. In the latter case we could read the forum posts from an iPhone app. This, I believe, would also let us post photos from phones which isn't currently possible.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
OllieInAZ said:
I was asking about a mobile interface, not facebook. There are a number of options for either installing a mobile stylesheet so the forum has a mobile feel in iPhone & droid browsers. Or, a plugin to make the forum compatible with iPhone apps like forum runner. In the latter case we could read the forum posts from an iPhone app. This, I believe, would also let us post photos from phones which isn't currently possible.

Good point. I would love to have a mobile view style for this forum. It would be much easier to post.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Forum Runner is developing support for our forum software - MyBB
I used to have an iOS theme available but it was buggy and didn't look very good at all. I'll see if there are some new options available - I'm sure there are.

M

Maggie Cummings

I AM on Facebook, and frankly I don't see the fascination of posting a conversation between me and a friend so that all my 100 other friends can read it. I think it's boring and not much fun...:( I like TFO much better...:cool:

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
I can't speak to the stability but the latest Forum Runner update claims to support MyBB.

Thanks very much for the update. I read the forum almost exclusively from my iPhone and look forward to a more mobile experience. I also understand the annoyance of bugs in early software versions so I can be patient.

Thanks again!
Charles

Josh said:
Forum Runner is developing support for our forum software - MyBB
I used to have an iOS theme available but it was buggy and didn't look very good at all. I'll see if there are some new options available - I'm sure there are.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Facebook update: david is psyched for the weekend, my entire conversation for the weekend to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.