Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I could go!!

Yvonne

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
If anyone else is going, it'd be great to meet other people from the forum in person! ... We could all wear those name tags that are like "Hi, my name is _________" . Just kidding lol

M

Maggie Cummings

I'll be there! Thanks for putting this up...I appreciate it. I went to this last year

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Coamonut, That really isn't a bad idea. We do that at the Shows down here. We just post a place (like were you get your tickets) and time to meet at the show and eveyone shows up. It's a quick meet and greet and Nice to put faces to names. Wish I was able to attend but a little North for me. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

DoctorCosmonaut said:
Maggie, what day are you going?

I'm pretty sure I'll be there Saturday morning when they open. What about you? If I am reading this correctly it's only open one day.
Last year I went and there weren't any turtles or tortoises and I complained about all the mice to a friend and he said all the turtles and tortoises showed up about noon, well after I left. But I want a couple of UVB bulbs and Zoomed will have a booth there and they sell really cheap then...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Oh hah it is only one day! Good thing I reread the page... I don't know what I was thinking? I deafinately don't want to miss the torts/turts! But this year the proceeds go towards them

M

Maggie Cummings

Zoomed will have a table there and the prices are so much different without shipping or buying in a petshop. Last year I paid $10 for a 250 watt basking bulb for Bob that sells for $50 on line...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I really hope I can make it. Possibility I might have a time conflict :( ... But ill recognize you if we are there at the same time

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Unfortunately there is a ninety fiver percent chance I won't make the convention :(

M

Maggie Cummings

This is the third year I have attended this Expo, and it will be the last for me. It was supposed to open at 10 AM and I always like to get anywhere early and avoid the crush. HA! At 9:30 I was so far back in line I couldn't see the ticket takers. There was nobody interesting to talk to in line, the guy in front of me has 1 King snake and the little girl behind me came to buy her first Russian tortoise. I told her parents about adopting and the guy said he had made numerous calls trying to do just that and one rescue returned his call but said they don't have any Russians right now, and my friend Tom who also does rescue work didn't even return this guys phone call...
OK so now the line is moving and I get up there and pay my $6 bucks cuz I used an on line coupon. The room is too small for the event this has become. Seriously over crowded with tables and people, lots of lookie loos...so I head for the Zoomed booth gonna do a favor for Meg90...but holy crap! Do they sell bulbs with gold centers in them or what??? The prices on everything were much higher than last year. I go to stock up on tort supplies and bulbs. I don't need to look at turtles or tortoises.$18 for the terramycin eye ointment I use, Meg's bulbs were $40, mine was $59 for Bob's and $45 for the others I wanted. But it was so freakin crowded. You couldn't move around, and I had to be rude several times.:D Take a hint people and wash your hair because other people can smell you in a crowd. This is a main expo for the Pacific North West and they need to rent a bigger room, because it is obvious to anyone with eyes and a nose that the room is now too small. There was lots and lots of stuff, and snakes, and mice, and frogs and reptile equipment. Oh yes, the lizards, and geckos and skinks and other things I recognize as reptiles but don't know what they're called. One thing looked like it has two heads; one on one end and the other at the other end, don't know what it was and it was an icky color. But I couldn't figure out which direction it would walk in.
Now...4 Russians all male, 8 Eastern and 3-toed Box turtles and 5 beautiful Diamond backed terrapins, and that was all the chelonia. Oh oh...2 Manouria phayrei yearlings that were pretty nifty looking. And a big Mata mata, actually I didn't know they got that big. There were literally hundreds of snakes and other slinky looking things. But I personally have more tortoises in my 'not a reptile room' room then there was at this expo. I am thinking about selling tickets very Saturday and giving people tours of my house and lecturing them on turtles and tortoises. From the looks of that crowd I could do just that. So my whole trip was a bust. I bought a nifty soaking pool for my small tortoises for $16 but just like I suspected their tiny claws can't pull themselves up against the slick steps. I also bought a food dish with a matching soaking pool for $1. Yep one dollar because I knew the person selling them. She also tried to talk me into adopting her 3 toed box turtles but not for free...They were very pretty with lively spots all over their legs and faces, but I don't need any more box turtles. So that was my day...the IROC with it's new motor ran really well and is super quick. I accelerated onto Interstate 5 like a rocketship. Woo Hoo!
Spring and I are taking a road trip to Montana in a couple of weeks and it is just going to be so much fun driving and talking and eating junk food. Much more fun then the Portland Metro Reptile Expo.
Tickets are now on sale for the Annual Maggie Bob Chelonia Tour...:cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maggie, you crack me up!

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Awesome post Maggie! Bummer it was disappointing for you.

Do you ever go to the NW Captive Breeders Expo? Is it worth it? Puyallup is pretty near me so we're thinking of going. It's October 17/18 this year. Any info on it?

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoisenerd said:
Awesome post Maggie! Bummer it was disappointing for you.

Do you ever go to the NW Captive Breeders Expo? Is it worth it? Puyallup is pretty near me so we're thinking of going. It's October 17/18 this year. Any info on it?

I went the first year I moved here. It was a 250 mile one way trip for me and I had the same complaint. The stuff was too expensive and there were just a few chelonia. But if I remember correctly Tom Silverfield told me they brought in a whole bunch of turtles later in the day.
By all means you should go...I always have complaints about places I go and things I do. Don't stay home because of anything I say:D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think we'll go just because we never have been. For $14 or whatever for two people plus the money for gas, if we don't feel like it was worth our time we probably wouldn't do it again. I'm all for trying new things though. I'm bummed I missed the one last year right before I got Trevor. I probably could have bought some things for him. Now I don't need anything. Just took advantage of the Carolina Pet Supply free shipping sale and got him a new fixture (broke a piece in the last one so the hood wobbled on the fixture), bulb to replace later in the year, and timothy hay. He's pretty well set! Definitely not getting any torts, but maybe it'll be fun. My fiance will probably be bothered by it because he doesn't like snakes, although he said he's go and he knows lots of snakes will be there. lol that should be interesting.

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoisenerd said:
I think we'll go just because we never have been. For $14 or whatever for two people plus the money for gas, if we don't feel like it was worth our time we probably wouldn't do it again. I'm all for trying new things though. I'm bummed I missed the one last year right before I got Trevor. I probably could have bought some things for him. Now I don't need anything. Just took advantage of the Carolina Pet Supply free shipping sale and got him a new fixture (broke a piece in the last one so the hood wobbled on the fixture), bulb to replace later in the year, and timothy hay. He's pretty well set! Definitely not getting any torts, but maybe it'll be fun. My fiance will probably be bothered by it because he doesn't like snakes, although he said he's go and he knows lots of snakes will be there. lol that should be interesting.

Well, then I think we need to meet for coffee. I wouldn't go back to that show on my own, but if you're going, so will I. I would love to meet you...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Awesome! I'll put it on my calendar and we can chat before then to make plans. Seattle has lots of coffee. :)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Sounds like a i didnt miss much. Have you ever been to the "House of Reptiles" in Tigard? Wondered if it was a niffy store?

ps maybe Ill come see your show ;) Any discounts for locals?

Shalon

5 Year Member
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Sounds like a i didnt miss much. Have you ever been to the "House of Reptiles" in Tigard? Wondered if it was a niffy store?

I went there yesterday to talk to them about redfoot care (trying to get as much info as I can.) Everything they told me to do it pretty much the exact opposite of what I've read here. They said not to use CHE's and to just use UVB lights for heat and lighting. They gave me a care sheet which is still in the car.
They had their redfoots in a an enclosure with another kind of tortoise (can't remember which kind now.)
They told us not to use moss but a mixture of moss and what looked like bark dust (again can't remember exactly what it was)
However they were really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.