Possible Adoption of Desert Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
i just heard from a family friend that they may be looking for a new home for their desert tortoise, 'Paulina'. if i adopt paulina what are warning signs i should look for? i'm not entirely sure what her life has been like thus far. are there any tell tale signs of sickness or depression etc etc?
thanks in advance!

B

Bansh88

Active tortoise is the best sign of good health.
Sometimes they have a slightly runny nose but that could be a variety of things that may not be worth worry

K

Kyrazy

josh said:
i just heard from a family friend that they may be looking for a new home for their desert tortoise, 'Paulina'. if i adopt paulina what are warning signs i should look for? i'm not entirely sure what her life has been like thus far. are there any tell tale signs of sickness or depression etc etc?
thanks in advance!

Congrats on the opportunity! I agree that active is a good sign. For general guidelines on care, check out http://www.sdturtle.org/
They have some good general info. I say general because each situation is different. We have a 30 yr old female desert tort and just recently checked out the sdturtle site and info. We were doing alot of what they suggest - free roam on bermuda grass, supplementing with veggies and such but some of what they say absolutely no to, we find to be fine with our tort. We like to say that she knows more about being a desert tort than we ever will. Let us know how life with Pauline works out. If she's by herself, she should be pretty healthy and hopefully disease free.

K

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I really love the idea of adopting a species that is endangered. i think it's important that these animals stick around many years to come

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
still no word on paulina :( luckily there are lots of tortoises to adopt in my area.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
UPDATE: paulina may be too big at this point for me to adopt her. i will probably help her existing family find her a new home though. she will find the care she needs.
in other news, i've decided to submit an application to adopt a DT through the JoshuaTree DT Rescue. if they have something small enough, i'll be more than happy to give it a new home :)

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
Hope you can find one the right one.So I think you're going to keep it inside right?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
just to let everyone know... desert tortoises are no longer endangered in captivity, but they are in the wild. there are more than plenty desert tortoises in captivity, and most of them have an upper respiratory tract infection which can only be treated, but never cured.

also if you live in the state of california, it is highly recommended that you get permits from the depart of fish and game. the valley chapter cttc president is allowed to issue those. i have them for my tortoises. i got little license plates and certificates for them.

it is good for identification purposes and for the state to keep track on how many tortoises there are out there. also if you get caught without a permit, you could get fined or have your tortoise taken away or both.

so just be careful when considering a desert tortoise. also it is ILLEGAL to sell desert tortoises. they can only be given away for free, that means no adoption fee, no rehoming fee, nothing.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You are also not really suppose to encourage them to breed nor incubate the eggs. Something I find sorta strange and hard to understand.

Your lucky you live in CA and can get a DT so easily. I live in Nebraska and was blessed with getting a rescue one many years ago. He was a wonderful elderly fellow and he captured my heart. He had outlived two other sets of caretakers before we got him. Unfortunately he was only with us a few short years. Since thing I have kept my fingers crossed that another one would find his/her way to me.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Jacqui said:
You are also not really suppose to encourage them to breed nor incubate the eggs. Something I find sorta strange and hard to understand.

Your lucky you live in CA and can get a DT so easily. I live in Nebraska and was blessed with getting a rescue one many years ago. He was a wonderful elderly fellow and he captured my heart. He had outlived two other sets of caretakers before we got him. Unfortunately he was only with us a few short years. Since thing I have kept my fingers crossed that another one would find his/her way to me.

i have 8 desert tortoises. 2 adults male and female, and 6 kids. i also have 7 eggs in an incubator. i really enjoy having them and my sister is a teacher, so i use them for education in her classroom. i find them to be a very valuable tool to educating the public about awareness to tortoises and the desert and the human impact on desert animals.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When we had Elmer, we took him to the public education talks we did. He loved people and so was never stressed by it. He was wonderful to use because of the entire DT story with using them for an example of why pets should not be let go back into the wild, ect.., He also was from the time when folks often drilled holes in the shells to teether them by. Elmer had such a hole and it was nice to make them aware of how the shell works.

Would love to see the photos of the youngsters...the adults too...if you have some.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Jacqui said:
When we had Elmer, we took him to the public education talks we did. He loved people and so was never stressed by it. He was wonderful to use because of the entire DT story with using them for an example of why pets should not be let go back into the wild, ect.., He also was from the time when folks often drilled holes in the shells to teether them by. Elmer had such a hole and it was nice to make them aware of how the shell works.

Would love to see the photos of the youngsters...the adults too...if you have some.

that is good that he played an important role in education. i hope he has saved lives of future tortoises.

i have lots of pictures, i just need to get them on my computer. be on the look out, i will post them soon.

K

Kyrazy

josh said:
UPDATE: paulina may be too big at this point for me to adopt her. i will probably help her existing family find her a new home though. she will find the care she needs.
in other news, i've decided to submit an application to adopt a DT through the JoshuaTree DT Rescue. if they have something small enough, i'll be more than happy to give it a new home :)

If she's too big for you to adopt, would they be willing to adopt her out to us? Our big DT is 12-14 (I haven't actually put a tape on her). We're trying to find her a friend to share our back yard with.

K

momto2DTs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
josh said:

Hi Josh, if Paulina is too big to adopt, you better not adopt a Desert tortoise then, They can live to be nearly 100 yrs old. What are you going to do with one you adopt if it grows to be too big?? Please think about that, because they get attached to you too....I have had mine for over 26 years. Are you thinking of keeping it in ann aquarium?? Sad life for a tortoise. A safe outdoor enviorment is best.
Sorry to lecture, but it is so important you think of having these special creatures forever.
peni

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
the problem is that i dont have the space now. i know i will in the future and thats why im looking for smaller DTs to adopt.

Vegas Chad

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
In the past when I have had hatchlings I build myslef a tort table with wheels that I wheel around to get them in the sun whenever possible. I have friends that say that they do fine inside all the time however I disagree... We used the same feed and at the end of a year mine were much larger than his... You can keep them inside if you must, espically with weather swings and such, however like I said... Try to have them outside whenever possible. Do that and I think you are good to go. Also... Should you do get one... Get some Mega Diet from www.tortoisegroup.org, it is mucho good for em.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Vegas Chad, excellent advice. i agree 100% I have raised DT hatchlings, and I have found that more sun= healthier and more active.

i adopted some DT hatchlings that were kept inside, and their color wasn't that good, they didnt eat much, and were quite small.

But once i took them outside, everything changed, for the better of course.

A

Amy

Kyrazy said:
josh said:

If she's too big for you to adopt, would they be willing to adopt her out to us? Our big DT is 12-14 (I haven't actually put a tape on her). We're trying to find her a friend to share our back yard with.

K

Paulina sounds like she needs a good home
Dig her name!

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i finally heard back from someone who has DT hatchlings available for adoption. I have to call the lady back but I'm real excited. I might go down there this week to take a look at them :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.