Possible Concern: Fallen Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

imustacheyou

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I just have a question about my russian tortoise's possible health hazard. So Time-Lord loves to climb his log and rocks in his pen, and he tends to walk off the edge of these obstacles and falls but is usually unscratched.

Although today he was climbing his log and fell awkwardly this time, his neck was extended and bent upward in a V shape. I saw this and immediately rushed to pick him up and placed him on his heating rock. He walked away fine but I am just scared that he may have been injured and Im just not seeing any symptoms.

Should I be concerned? any tips/info would be helpful.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
The little notch in their marginal scutes above the neck keeps the neck from getting hurt. I've seen my turtles and tortoises fall in a similar way, and come out completely fine, so your guy is probably fine, too. Just watch him to see if his behavior has changed at all. For example, does he seem to have trouble withdrawing his head and neck into his shell?

BTW - Does his basking spot consist only of a heating rock, or does he also have an overhead incandescent bulb or ceramic heat emitter (CHE)? Lizards like to bask with their belly on a hot rock, but tortoises prefer to bask with their back facing the heat source.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Having seen tortoises nose-dive off objects of all heights onto hard and soft surfaces, I think yours will be fine. I've had some heart stopping moments with Joe over the years... he loves climbing.

imustacheyou

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the information, its much appreciated. I feel relieved and Ill just have to move his set up around to prevent anymore of these awkward falls.

and

No its actually just a giant flat rock that he likes to eat and bask on. We have a basking bulb and the UVB right above it. And I looked today and Time-Lord seems to be extending and withdrawing his neck fine. So hopefully he is unaffected from yesterdays fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.